End of Season clearout

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Clearouts aren't always the answer, neither is buying in bulk.

Our best season under Benitez was 2008/09 when we finished on 86 points and had our only genuine title challenge of the Benitez era.  The summer before we had a relatively quiet one in the transfer market by Benitez's standards... to my recollection only Keane, Dossena, Riera, Ngog and Cavalieri were brought in for the first team squad the preceeding summer transfer window.  Keane was gone by January, Dossena and Ngog rarely started, Cavalieri didn't play league games and really only Riera came in and played well regularly.  Our team was relatively settled from the season before and I think that helped us have a consistent season.

Granted though, we had finished on 76 points the season before which was respectable enough, not the 52 points we have just finished on.  This squad doesn't have as much quality as that one did, but I still think just a couple of shrewd signings is the ticket, then blood the likes of Coates and Sterling and we have Lucas coming back too.

3 signings maximum please - centre forward, winger, centre mid.  I'd even have Aquilani back as the centre mid for now and go all out for a quality winger and forward.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 15, 2012 9:28 pm

it's fair enough saying "get rid of x,y and z" but you have to ask who would come in and buy these players? downing has no resale value, adam you may get your money back, kuyt is getting on. i suppose at least we'll get maxi, cole and aquilani off the wage bill.

i've seen kuyt has said he wants to stay today. he was linked with a move back to feyenoord but he'd have to take an 80% pay cut or something ridiculous. i'd have no problem keeping him around although the thought of paying 90k a week to a 31 year old doesn't sit well with me.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion