LIVERPOOL VS STOKE CITY - Saturday 14th january 15.00pm ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby eds » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:21 am

The problem isn't that we need a striker / attacking midfielder?

The problem is I fear (and probably a lot of people do as well), that we will keep plodding away with the rubbish Kenny has bought in for the rest of the season.

Also the kind of player Kenny will bring in if he is given another 10-20 million to spend? :(
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:15 am

J*o*n*D*o*e wrote:pi$$ poor, 7 draws at home is shocking, sorry but whoever sanctioned £35 million, and ill say it again £35 million for Carroll needs fooking shooting.

:nod
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Johnny Boy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:49 am

stmichael wrote:Was perplexed when I heard the team and feared the worst. The team we selected just didn't have goals in it, especially with Suarez out and Bellamy and Maxi our two other biggest goal threats on the bench. Dirk Kuyt is not a lone striker.

The formation was not the problem for me, especially when we lacked so much quality in and around the final third. That lack of quality has nothing to do with the formation. Our crossing was really poor. Our movement was non existant. We don't commit any men forward from midfield. Gerrard was far too deep. I actually though Adam had one of his better games in recent weeks but even then he had nothing infront of him.

We still severely lack quality. It's ok banging on about our lack of goals (we do clearly need a finisher) but the creativity is also a worry for me against teams who park the bus. At least Swansea and Norwich came out and played and allowed us to create chances. Today we never looked like scoring in a million years.

I was in the Lower Centenary, in the first half I lost count of the number of times we had a good position and not one player in the box!
None of our midfielders were getting forward.

We are crying out for players like Tottenham have, a player with pace and flair, some creativity. Despite all the money spent we still don't have anyone in the Van der Vaart, Modric mould.
Kenny frankly at the moment has to be questioned, his tactics are a joke, Johnson was central midfield for 10 minutes yesterday, who exactly was supposed to be supporting Kuyt? 3 full backs on the bench?
I just got the impression yesterday half the team didn't know where they were supposed to be playing.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby alwayslfc » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:39 am

On the contrary, I think we played all right. Gerrard was good and Coates played well. What let us down was our finishing. I was surprised by the lineup, playing with one lone striker against a mid table club! If we were playing Barca with that line up I'd have understood why. But it was an odd selection without Bellamy and Maxi.

Carroll was a joke for the sum we paid him. If we're going to persist with the current squad, it's bye bye CL football for another season.
alwayslfc

Postby mart » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:34 pm

alwayslfc wrote:What let us down was our finishing. I was surprised by the lineup, playing with one lone striker against a mid table club! If we were playing Barca with that line up I'd have understood why. But it was an odd selection without Bellamy and Maxi.

Carroll was a joke for the sum we paid him. If we're going to persist with the current squad, it's bye bye CL football for another season.

It was not our finishing that let us down, but very defensive tactics. Whenever we managed to get a cross in the box, we only had Kuyt in there. We made it easy for Stoke to take him out of the game as all our midfielders were happy to stay far outside the box. All we managed to do was a few pathetic attempts from long range.

You can say a lot about how :censored: carroll was but still once he came on we managed to do a little bit more. Not because he was such a great player but because the Stoke defense had to do a bit more than just take out kuyt. He opened the space we needed to get a few halfdecent chances. If we had tried to win this match from the start we would have, but we set up to get one point and thats what we got.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:01 am

We were pox, end of. Impotent strikeforce. Bring on some of the Academy kids, FFS.....surely they'd be infinitely more effective than Kuyt at the moment...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby RedAnt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:30 pm

I've been away a bit (though keeping up with the forum) and we've been doing pretty naff huh? This game was awful. It was the first time in a long time that I was actually willing to be distracted when my nephew came around. Normally i'd tell him to sit down and be quiet until the match had finished, but this was absolutely dire.

I find it hard to put my finger on what's wrong with us. I think all (yes, even Carroll) of our players are very capable players. I hate to say it, but I think perhaps Kenny is the problem. When he returned there was worry that he wasn't "with" the modern game. And ya know what? I think it's true. Kenny is a nice guy. A real nice guy. Loves a joke, loves the game, loves the club, loves to smile. The problem is that i'm not sure the "modern" game has room for nice guys in manager's offices. I'm sure Kenny can dish out some stick when he wants to, but i'm not sure he ever wants to. He needs to get his head together, get to grips with the modern game and quickly. Players out of position, random formations, random changes in the starting line up. These aren't new LFC philosophies. Gerárd did it, Roy did it, Rafa did it, and Woy did it, and now KK is doing it.

For a while we sailed nicely on KK Fever. As I said, the players can play. The core of the problem seems to be attitude right through the team. Players and staff.

Chins up though :D We're still in there for fourth (Yay?)
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Zidane » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Kenny got it wrong for me, injuries or not we should not have went with 5 at the back and 3 midfielders in the middle.  We were crying out for people in the box all game long but had no one.
Zidane

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:56 am

Ill be honest, I literally fell asleep watching this one.  Woke up with the laptop in my lap and the stream had finished. :(
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:18 am

Zidane wrote:Kenny got it wrong for me, injuries or not we should not have went with 5 at the back and 3 midfielders in the middle.  We were crying out for people in the box all game long but had no one.

How many more times does it have to be said? We did not play with five fkg defenders! Enrique and Johnson played as attacking wing backs and spent the entire game going forward. The problem was the midfield players just didn't get into the box!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Previous