Raul Meireles - Rent Boy Mark II

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:30 pm

but HE wanted to leave! HE didnt want to be a Liverpool player. HE forced his way out of OUR club.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby tubby » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:34 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:but HE wanted to leave! HE didnt want to be a Liverpool player. HE forced his way out of OUR club.

True but also when he left there was a lot of 'he wasn't good enough anyway' talk around here.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby worcester_red » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:06 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:but HE wanted to leave! HE didnt want to be a Liverpool player. HE forced his way out of OUR club.

The only reason he wanted to leave was that we screwed him out of the salary increase he'd been promised. in that circumstance I'd say feck you to my employers as well.
worcester_red

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:24 pm

I think the talk of "he wasnt good enough" is typical of modern football fans. but he has left and more importantly he wanted to leave so the club did not have any other option than to move him on.

The salary increase was from a different management team, and although it is kind of unfair he had another option.  He could have played out of his skin and then see whether he was rewarded.

I always thought he was a tidy footballer, but didnt really change too many games. I would have been happy for him to stay and work his plums off but he didnt want to.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:35 pm

The problem with the lad is that he was very inconsistent and lacked a bit of bottle at times too.
That said, he was a good player and I would have liked him to stay. 

But he wanted more money and our owners dont seem to be in the business of offering big contracts to older players.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:11 pm

First off, im not too familiar with what went on regarding the whole contract situation. However, if the club's previous owners had agreed a contract with Meireles where he starts his contract on low wages for the first year (probably his way of trying to help us sign him in the first place) hen the current owners should have went through with agreement regardless of what they think about it. Its not only unprofessional and unfair, but the reported wages he was on (30K per week) are a slap on the face for a player of his caliber imo. He had a very good season and quite obviously deserved that pay rise he was due.
How some can sit there and blame him for making a fuss about it, I dont know. If it had happened to any one of at our workplace we'd feel the exact same way.

The other factor imo that affected the whole transfer was our summer transfers. We brought in C.Adam and J.Henderson who both pretty much play the same role Meireles naturally does.  We went into the season with our best player in the past season relegated to a bench role to accommodate 2 players of less quality who were both probably paid more than twice what he earns. Again, many people blamed him for not staying and competing for his spot but it was obvious that his chances in the side would have been limited regardless of his performances given the money spent on the new arrivals.

He said that he didnt want to leave the club but he still put in a transfer request for some reason. I'm convinced that the club told him to put in a transfer request to give up his compensation if he wanted the move to Chelsea. He obviously spoke to Kenny about the situation and my guess is that Kenny told him he wouldnt be a starter this year. Chelsea not only offered him wages more fitting of his caliber, they also offered him better chances of getting time on the pitch at a bigger club in terms of competing for titles and player quality.

Regarding the whole inconsistent talk, I personally dont think hes been inconsistent at any point during his time at the club. He always gave his all and even when pretty much everyone else in the side was struggling he was putting in good performances. He was moved around to fill different roles more than any other midfielder we had in recent times besides perhaps Gerrard. Funny enough, the position he played the least amount of games in was his natural and best position (CM) which is where hes currently playing and doing well for Chelsea and funny enough where we're struggling atm.

Again, I find it strange that hes still seen by many as a 'judas' for leaving the club to join Chelsea. This whole loyalty thing goes both ways but many dont seem to understand that. For me the way he was treated by the management (from what i understand of the whole thing) was a real shame.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:19 pm

I find no reason why he'd lie about this ... The fact that we 'tried to sell him' is a bit worrying imo. Especially given his performances compared to those of OUR new arrivals. Might explain why we keep Kuyt on the bench while persisting with Henderson and Adam in the side. Big gambles by Kenny that are so far not quite working. Add the fact that the Chelsea interest in him was well documented from early on and the whole transfer imo was a big mistake from management.

Meireles said: "I was aware that Liverpool wanted to sell me in the summer, which was a bit surprising to me.

"All I have to say is that I had one promise at Liverpool which wasn't fulfilled. It's not the only thing to blame but that's why the Liverpool fans are unsure why I left.

"Liverpool asked me to hand in a transfer request. That's normal, so that's what I did. There's no point touching this subject any more. I was a bit surprised, but now I'm just concentrating on my present and future, and that's with Chelsea."

[url=http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Chelsea-and-ex-Liverpool-midfielder-Raul-Meireles-said-Reds-broke-a-promise-over-pay-rise-
article798205.html]Link[/url]
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:18 pm

Fair enough. Hope we have someone good in mind to replace him though. I know Stevie is back but I don't think Adam is the answer.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:56 am

Im pretty sure Kenny thinks Adam is the answer and as he is only 6 league games in and has been involved in about 75% of the goals we have scored I think he is doing ok
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:33 pm

Mereriles and Mata have really freshened up Chelseas midield this season.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:42 pm

You mean Fat Frank smells?  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Reg wrote:You mean Fat Frank smells?  :laugh:

:laugh:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous