Martin o'neil quits villa ? - Allegedly

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Exclusive: O'Neill quits Villa?

Published 13:33 30/03/10 By MirrorFootball

Aston-Villa-manager-Martin-O'Neill cropped

Martin O'Neill is believed to have quit as Aston Villa manager.

Unconfirmed claims are circulating in the Midlands that the Villa Park chief has resigned following a disagreement with chairman Randy Lerner.

It is understood that the club's American owner wanted to trim the playing squad and cut the wage bill this summer, while O'Neill wanted money to spend to bolster his squad to continue their challenge to break into the top four.

When told that money would not be forthcoming, the Ulsterman is believed to have decided to consider his future and has now come to the decision to resign.
Click here to find out more!

Villa have an FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea on April 10. And Chelsea beat Villa 7-1 in the Premier League at the weekend.

O'Neill joined the club in August 2006.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Back to Celtic ?

Maybe not  :D  Aston Villa have denied rumours that Martin O'Neill has quit the club.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Greavesie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Something dodgy must be going on over there, seems a bit odd
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:13 pm

Story out of nothing I think... "Unconfirmed claims"... yadda yadda.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:39 pm

No smoke without fire.

Its logical owners want to reduce the exesses of previous years which of course denies a manager the chance to continue to 'improve' his squad (spend, spend, spend) so one does logically lead to the other.

In fairness, MON has not achieved a great deal at Villa.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:03 pm

oh contrare (or however you spell it!)

There's always lots of smoke without fire as far as football rumours go.

Also when O'neil joined villa were 16th.. they subsequently finished 11th, 6th and 6th. He has also only been able to sign just two players over £10m - (milner/downing)  - so he's not doing a bad job with the thin squad that he has.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Redman in wales wrote:oh contrare (or however you spell it!)

There's always lots of smoke without fire as far as football rumours go.

Also when O'neil joined villa were 16th.. they subsequently finished 11th, 6th and 6th. He has also only been able to sign just two players over £10m - (milner/downing)  - so he's not doing a bad job with the thin squad that he has.

He's spent a lot more than us over the last couple of years. If this is true you get the feeling he'll not be rushing to join us if Rafa leaves.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Hope he doesnt come here, cant bare him !!!

Go back to celtic you utter bitter gobsh!te. :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Ciggy wrote:Hope he doesnt come here, cant bare him !!!

Go back to celtic you utter bitter gobsh!te. :glare:

I knew there was a reason i luved ya :D
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:49 am

I think Villa would be crazy if they allowed O'Neill to leave the club as he has brought them on in leaps and bounds during his time there. They made the Carling Cup final, are in the FA Cup semi-finals and are still battling to finish get Champions League qualification via the Premier League top four. He has spent a lot of money but made astute signings and brought a lot of quality young British talent into the squad which should benefit the club long-term. If i was a Villa fan i would want the club to do everything they can to keep O'Neill at the club.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby Redx » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Yossi_Benaloon wrote:I think Villa would be crazy if they allowed O'Neill to leave the club as he has brought them on in leaps and bounds during his time there. They made the Carling Cup final, are in the FA Cup semi-finals and are still battling to finish get Champions League qualification via the Premier League top four. He has spent a lot of money but made astute signings and brought a lot of quality young British talent into the squad which should benefit the club long-term. If i was a Villa fan i would want the club to do everything they can to keep O'Neill at the club.

They would be daft to let him go.
Redx

Postby bigmick » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:35 am

I thought he'd gone when I saw the thread bumped. Villa would be mad to let him go, he's an excellent manager IMHO. I think he's been at Villa three or four years now, and if you look at where they were when he took over relative to us, and then consider that they are now ahead of us in the league it's a stirling effort. Also, along the way they've had a couple of good cup runs as well. He's arguably been helped by some good kids coming through (I like both the lads up top, Agbonlahor and Delfonso or whatever it is), but he's trusted them and nurtured them well. He's had to sell his best player during that period, and will probably have to sell his best player now as well.

He would have been my number one choice as manager once the best option had joined Madrid, and Villa would be absolutely crazy to let him go of their own valition IMHO. One day he'll go and they'll have no choice as a really big club will come knocking, but until then they'd be well advised to hang on as long as possible.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 am

Nah, just some newbie deciding to post in an old news thread, not exactly in-depth or insightful either
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion