Martin jol - The sack ?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:21 am

Looks like he is going to get the boot after 2 games!!

The world has gone mad  :no

From Football365...

he consensus along Fleet Street is that Martin Jol's days at Tottenham are numbered and the Dutchman will be sacked later this week.

Although Jol still retains the support of the club's followers following a difficult start to the season, the Spurs hierarchy are believed to have lost faith in Jol's ability to secure Champions League football. Sevilla coach Juande Ramos is poised to be appointed as his successor.

Matters are reported to have come to a head after Jol clashed with striker Dimitar Berbatov after the opening-day defeat at Sunderland.   Jol stunned club chairman Daniel Levy last week by wanting to sell his star striker. And it was Jol's astonishing outburst which prompted Levy to sound out Ramos about taking over at White Hart Lane.'

Jol's relationship with the club's board has grown increasingly fractious and a short-list of potential replacements was reputedly drawn up last week. Although Ramos heads the list, the names of Marcello Lippi and Mark Hughes also feature. In what must be a typo, The Daily Mail adds that of 'Harry Redknapp'.

Tottenham officials met with Ramos in Spain on Friday and The Guardian believes that he is keen on taking the job. 'Ramos could even take charge for Sunday's fixture against Manchester United,' the newspaper suggests.

Were Jol to be fired this week, it would be the fourth time in the past ten years when the Tottenham manager was the first top-flight casualty of the season following the ousting of Gerry Francis in 1997, Christian Gross in 1998 and Glenn Hoddle in 2003.
Last edited by Dundalk on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:30 am

Pathetic really pathetic, I like Jol and he always pays us compliments.
3 games in and them wanting to sack him footballs gone mad. :no
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:40 am

the guy got them into europe and in my opinion overachieved with what he had at his disposal.

if they sack him i hope the feckers are embroiled in a relegation battle come the end of the season. i can understand with their first two results but they still have one more point than the mancs   :D
112-1077774096

Postby dward » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:43 am

Absolute nonsense. How the hell can they sack him after 3 games when they're a point above Man Utd? Might as well sack Fergie as well. I'm not saying that Tottenham will do better than Man Utd, but it's the same kind of thing.

I like Jol and I will be sad to see him go.
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:59 am

He seems like a decent bloke, and a good manager who probably made one of the best buys of last season with Berbatov.
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:36 am

I think he's a $hit manager and therefore should stay at Spurs.
66-1112520797

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:26 am

Was only saying the other day to me dad that if I were to put a bet on who the first manager to get the chop this season it would be Jol.
Spurs seem to panick and make knee jerk reactions to a couple of bad results when it comes to managers and sack them.
Jol has achieved a lot there when you consider he was only brought in as assisstant to that French geezer who bottled it after about 2 games and left. He's been the first manager they've had that has come close to taking them above the @rse in friggin years and now they want to replace him.  :no
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:35 pm

Maybe footy management requires that you have a personality that is slightly more interesting than a tub of mud. Jol unfortunately doesn't meet that requirement.  :laugh:

I actually don't give a sh'it , but he's never struck me as someone who could inspire a team to greater things . If i was a spurs fan I'd be looking to bring back Venables.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:57 pm

'Tell em about da Hunny mummy'!   :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:21 pm

I question stories like this that include unsubstantiated tosh like Jol wanting to sell Berbatov.  No chance in hell he asked Levy to ship his best striker out, whether they actually had a bust up or not.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dward » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Now Levy says that his job is safe but he wants Spurs in the Champions League.

link
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:44 pm

Well it looks like he is staying now (for the mean time anyway) ???

From BBC

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has told under-fire manager Martin Jol that his job is safe but has warned him he wants to see Spurs in the Champions League.

Levy said in a statement: "We are an ambitious club and we have discussed our expectations with Martin.

"For that we need our management standards to be of the highest quality so that we can compete with the best.

"Martin has confirmed to me that he feels he is equipped with a squad and a determination to take the challenge."

Jol and his assistant Chris Hughton met with Levy and the rest of the Spurs' board on Tuesday.

"We had a full and frank conversation," Jol told Tottenham's website. "I fully understand the ambitions of the club - they are the same as the supporters.

Yes, it is pressure to deliver, but that is what we managers should expect. Hopefully all the media will relax now - all I shall be concentrating on is each and every game

"He has put a lot of hard work into this club and with the squad of players we have assembled, it is realistic that we should look to challenge for a top four position and I have assured him and the Board that that is what I shall aim for.

"Yes, it is pressure to deliver, but that is what we managers should expect. Hopefully all the media will relax now - all I shall be concentrating on is each and every game."

Levy made it clear what he expects from Jol, adding: "We want Champions League football.

"We, the board, owe it to the club and the supporters to constantly assess our position and performance and to ensure that we have the ability to operate and compete at that level.

"We have made a massive investment in the squad and as a result we have the best squad of players this club has had for over 20 years and they are equally hungry for success and silverware."
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:31 am

Spurs would be crazy to sack Martin Jol.

They are panicking needlessly.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:44 pm

3 points from 3 games is now enough to get the sack???

He has done well the last two seasons. Spending all that money on Bent was mad - I though that he was Houllier in disguise when I read about that transfer.

Still should stick with him for the whole season.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:44 pm

I heard he is leaving Spurs tonight one way or the other
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion