Farewell to sami - A true anfield great

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Gerrard30391 » Mon May 25, 2009 11:22 am

Click here

Another youtube video, not the best quality but shows a true great and some of his goals.

3:25 :bowdown Torres would be proud of that finish!
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon May 25, 2009 11:39 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:for those, like me, find the buffering too slow on the .tv video, heres another one.

click here

we'll miss him. im gutted he's leaving.

kicked me off again  :down:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Mon May 25, 2009 12:05 pm

It is very rare that I shed a tear but I did this morning on watched Sami's farewell

A TRUE GREAT AND WILL GO DOWN AS A ANFIELD GREAT

OH SAMI SAMI SAMI SAMI HYPPIA

:)
roberto green

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon May 25, 2009 12:11 pm

Gutted.

Hope so much he comes back soon.

We also have a bit of a problem as he was a great fourth choice player that could come in the odd game over the last couple of the seasons when required and we would still be solid.

Who else will be happy being fourth choice and do as good a job as Sami.

Good luck in Leverkusen to him though, he has earned the right to first team football as a swansong to his fine career.

:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon May 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Just to say as well, our fans and the players were brilliant with Sami.

He got the send off he deserved.

Well done to anyone who attended, i was proud to hear his name being chanted and the mock booing of Rafa for not bringing him on earlier  :D

The mosaic as always was magnificent as well.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon May 25, 2009 12:54 pm

Very nice tribute from Finland:

http://www.hs.fi/english....6216483
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Mon May 25, 2009 3:03 pm

who knows maybe he played till he is 40. he loved the game so much. good bye and good luck sami.
you have left us with wonderful memories. thank you.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Mon May 25, 2009 5:43 pm

A Colossus.

A Leader.

A Legend.

Arguably our best buy of the Premiership era. He was at one point the best defender in the Premier League for at least 2 seasons around the treble year. Its a shame he is going, but I hope he will be back. Bit gutted he didn't start as the rumours going round was that he was going to be captain for the day, so to see his name not even on the first eleven was a bit of a leveller from Rafa, but he got the send off he derserved.
Last edited by Rafa D on Mon May 25, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 26, 2009 2:23 am

From Samis blog

Past few days has reminds me of my time in Finnish army. Days are decreasing before a significant part of my career is coming into an end. Army lasted for about a year but my time in Liverpool have lasted for ten years. While writing this I only have and training session and one game remaining with Liverpool FC. I have player over 500 games and had thousands of training sessions with the club. Only a few days and then my brilliant 10 year career with my childhood favourite club is over. Dream came true. I must admit that I never even dreamed of that one day I will play with liver bird on my chest at Anfield let alone that I would play 10 years for LFC. Nor that within past few days my childhood idols have been going through my career in the media in England and in Finland.

I'm not a kind of person who wants to compare or even less one who likes to ponder my status at the club or its history. I'm going to think now what is my status at Liverpool or what was the biggest achievement. Those things will come into my mind one day when I have retired and I'm sitting in rocking chair and looking back on my career. Then all kinds of statistics and memories will mean more to me. It's clear to me that I will never forget my time at Liverpool. Wins, defeats, trophys, uphills and setbacks. I've been honoured to to play for one of the biggest clubs in the World and with the best players in the World. I was asked to name differend kind of Liverpool dream teams but I didn't want to do that. Every single teammate I have had during my time here have been equally important and individuals win nothing. A team wins or a team loses. It's a phrase but it's true.

Sunday will be an emotional day for me. Anfield and Liverpool fans have gave me so much. Significance of the fans is indispensable for the club and for the team. I will never forget what happened in Istanbul when we walked to dressing room at half time when we were losing 0-3. Atatürk Stadium is a junk of concrete where you don't hear sounds to inside of the stadium but that night we heard clearly how our fans were singing their voices off while we were 0-3 down. Thanks to our outstanding fans we realised that there's nothing to lose and we can do it. Eventually we won the game and I achieved the biggest thing you can win in club football. On the next day in Liverpool a parade was arranged and according to some numbers there were a million people on the streets of Liverpool. It might be exaggerated but there were a loads of fans. Then I realised how important one football club can be for the people. When you realise that you can't do nothing but give your all for the club. If you fail to do that you can't look yourself in the mirror. It's been my guideline here as a player and it will be players guideline here in the future also.

So my last game for Liverpool is coming up. I am not retiring yet. I will start a new challenge at Leverkusen. I am ready for that as well as saying goodbye for the fans, my teammates and to legendary Anfield. I will be an emotional moment for me, little bit bittersweet but happy at a same time. I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart.

Thanks to all Liverpool fans in Finland. It's been great to see during these years how many fans Liverpool have in Finland. Next year we will finally win the league and I will celebrate with you. Not as a player but as a fan.

Sami Hyypiä
112-1077774096

Postby stmichael » Tue May 26, 2009 12:12 pm

Can't speak highly enough of the man. An absolute credit to the game and a credit to this great football club.

Amazing to think that the guy has scored in three European Cup quarter finals for Liverpool aswell. I can't think of anybody else who's done that off the top of my head.

Legend. :bowdown
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Rockthekop » Tue May 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Hyypia was a brilliant reader of the game and unlike Carragher was aerially dominant and always a threat from set pieces.

Carragher although a good defender could never match up to Hyypia at his best.

True Legend!
Rockthekop

Postby Bosko-Macedonia » Tue May 26, 2009 2:50 pm

I shed a tear when I watched the firewall to Sami... Thank you for everything you did for LFC.....
Last edited by Bosko-Macedonia on Tue May 26, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justice for the 96...they will never walk alone...
Bosko-Macedonia

Postby redbeergoggles » Wed May 27, 2009 5:45 pm

I was at Anfield on Sunday ,I just thought I could not miss the chance to say my farewell to a true one off ,the term Legend is often bandied about because of the longevity of the service ,but in Sami's case his time at Liverpool has been outstanding Hyppia has been World class in every respect .

Hyppia always made the art of defending seem so simple ,as only truly class players can ,and I am referring to illustrious names as Hansen and Lawrenson in that bracket ,in fact Big Sami would not have looked out of place in any of Liverpool's great teams of the past ,and to be part of this great mans send off was another special memory .

Thank you Sami Hyppia for providing the class , dignity and humility that was regularly personified by the players of the past,and may the German fans treat you with the adoration you so richly deserve .  :)
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby matt1974 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:38 pm

Served LFC well. Shame he has no title medal to take with him
matt1974

Postby eds » Sat May 30, 2009 3:14 am

matt1974 wrote:Served LFC well. Shame he has no title medal to take with him

We will send him one, at the end of next season.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge