SOUTHAMPTON V LIVERPOOL 16/3/13 KO 3.00 PM

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:11 pm

We played with the same tactics against Tottenham, Wigan and Swansea and won. The only difference was that we had Lucas in midfield instead of Allen. I think that was the crucial part today.

No. From memory he only started this last week. Prior to that he had 3 CM. Since Coutinho's come along he hasn't dropped Downing and instead stuck with four attack minded players and sacrificed a CM - Henderson.

We fluked it last week, the writing was on the wall, today that wall came crashing down.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:16 pm

Kenny Kan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:11 pm wrote:
We played with the same tactics against Tottenham, Wigan and Swansea and won. The only difference was that we had Lucas in midfield instead of Allen. I think that was the crucial part today.

No. From memory he only started this last week. Prior to that he had 3 CM. Since Coutinho's come along he hasn't dropped Downing and instead stuck with four attack minded players and sacrificed a CM - Henderson.

We fluked it last week, the writing was on the wall, today that wall came crashing down.

Not against Wigan because we didn't have Sturridge available then, but we did start with the same set-up against Swansea and Tottenham. Rodgers had a good reason to start with the same line-up against Southampton as well, because it worked well in the previous games. I still think the crucial mistake was playing Allen instead of Lucas.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:10 pm wrote:Well we beat Spurs because they gifted us after two mistakes and it was after we changed to 3 in the middle.

Wigan we were very good but Wigan and indeed Swansea offered nothing that day - as soon as a team comes at us we struggle with just the two in the middle and have no control in the game

Kind of agree but it is the same for other teams to where they will win against teams that don't show up. We were lucky against spurs as overall they were the better team but gifted us the game but we deserve some luck
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:55 pm

the problem with playing 2 in the middle is one of them is steven gerrard, he is great when we are on top of teams but he hasnt got the legs to be chasing shadows anymore.
so not only were we light in numbers in midfield we also lacked the athleticism to get around the park and put out the fires that were springing up all over the place.
defensively we were always on the back foot because our pressing game was non existant, we put no pressure on the ball whatsoever.
if we would have started that game today with gerrard, lucas and hendo we`d still be in the race for 4th imo.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby supersub » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:56 pm wrote:
Boocity » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:55 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:52 pm wrote:Well we got exactly what we deserve after that performance

can't argue with that Benny, Totally mistified where these non-performances come from

The set up and tactics were all wrong - two in the middle and one of them the out of form Allen.

BR takes the blame for this

can't argue with that
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Also today should point out exactly how far away we are from being good enough to compete in the CL. Lack of quality at the back and in the middle.
Benny The Noon

Postby only me » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:08 pm

Cool Hand Luke » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:22 pm wrote:It will be an interesting game as we have struggled when teams have pressed us aggressively in our own half and that is what Southampton have been trying to do under Pochettino. They have plenty of threat in their team and every time I have seen Ricky Lambert play he looks like a top 10 player who can hurt you in a number of different ways.

From our point of view I think we went too top heavy against Spurs and it showed. Only when Allen came on for Coutinho did we stop Dembele running the game. I’d like to see Allen or Henderson come in to play in front of Lucus and Gerrard but it’s difficult to drop any of the front 4 as they have been do so well but that’s what proactive managers do.

If only BR read your pre-game analysis  :grinning:  Good Job mate you nailed it as it was.

We couldn't handle the press game ,we couldn't handle Lambert ,we were outplayed out matched ,totally deserved loss.

BR tactics were all wrong ,at the least he should have gave up passing on defense as it was pathetic and retaliate in similar pressing game on their players ,our spacing was terrible ,their was no linkage between parts the team and to add to that an overall poor performance from many players.

The most pathetic on the pitch and not for the first time was our "glorious international" RB Johnson ,What a waste to space Glen has become. And not for the first time. He isn't a professional Footballer in my book ,Talent is their no question ,but his commitment ,his focus ,his determination none existent. Sell as long we can.

On another Thread I was wondering why Skertel hasn't got his chances...Today he answered ,what a poor performance ,reminded me why I wanted him gone for years now. Martin was a joke.

The rest pretty mediocre as well but I'll attribute it to poor tactics.

The only positive from this game ,we lost to a better team today.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby algymoon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:10 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:48 pm wrote:
kartiek » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:45 pm wrote:Forget Europe. We're not catching up quite obviously. We need to focus on trying to get our defense in order.

I have a feeling that even though Coutinho has been great with skills, and movement, I think he's been often poor with his passing, he needs to work on that.

I thought the whole team looked really really tired and off-speed today. Johnson has been poor for a long time. I didn't look at the third goal but I'm guessing Skrtel played a major role in that. We need a more dominant leader in center half. And we need a good understudy to Reina. Henderson should also play more, he was phenomenal up to the point where he suddenly stopped being called on by Rodgers. Weird.

Agree in parts.

Way too early to be criticising Countinho.

Johnson has been terrible today but in terms of this season he has been good for me. Still the best right back in the league.

Really you can’t blame Countinho for the awful performance but you can do so when it comes to the two central midfield players of both halves. The whole LFC team were outplayed totally, and they were VERY luck to lose by 3-1, it ought to be 7-1 on the clear chances Southampton did have.

LFC have a very serious problem in all departments, and now especially in defence and midfield the holding pair. Allen a very light weight and can’t pass, Lucas a bit solid but again can’t pass, SG is getting very old, very overloaded with team responsibility and I be surprise if he can last another season. The central defence and right back (Johnson)  has really been awful the whole season, lazy, bad positing, makes a lots of mistakes two or three almost in every game which leads to goals being scored against us.

BR said he needs 3-4 players next season, in actual fact he needs at least 6 players, three defenders two holding midfield players who can pass it around, and another top finisher up front. This only could happen when BG and club owners would realize that the current crop of players would not achieve fourth spots for the next four seasons or so.
I would expect to get the same kind of results and performance in the coming up games against Villa, Newcastle, Reading, Chelsea, and Everton, and even QPR, LFC have a very tough fixture, and I can’t really see how we going to get maximum out those games!
algymoon

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Sell Johnson ? Well I guess you can't get more knee jerk than that.

He had a poor game ffs and you want him gone ?
Benny The Noon

Postby algymoon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:13 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:48 pm wrote:
kartiek » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:45 pm wrote:Forget Europe. We're not catching up quite obviously. We need to focus on trying to get our defense in order.

I have a feeling that even though Coutinho has been great with skills, and movement, I think he's been often poor with his passing, he needs to work on that.

I thought the whole team looked really really tired and off-speed today. Johnson has been poor for a long time. I didn't look at the third goal but I'm guessing Skrtel played a major role in that. We need a more dominant leader in center half. And we need a good understudy to Reina. Henderson should also play more, he was phenomenal up to the point where he suddenly stopped being called on by Rodgers. Weird.

Agree in parts.

Way too early to be criticising Countinho.

Johnson has been terrible today but in terms of this season he has been good for me. Still the best right back in the league.

Really you can’t blame Countinho for the awful performance but you can do so when it comes to the two central midfield players of both halves. The whole LFC team were outplayed totally, and they were VERY luck to lose by 3-1, it ought to be 7-1 on the clear chances Southampton did have.

LFC have a very serious problem in all departments, and now especially in defence and midfield the holding pair. Allen a very light weight and can’t pass, Lucas a bit solid but again can’t pass, SG is getting very old, very overloaded with team responsibility and I be surprise if he can last another season. The central defence and right back (Johnson)  has really been awful the whole season, lazy, bad positing, makes a lots of mistakes two or three almost in every game which leads to goals being scored against us.

BR said he needs 3-4 players next season, in actual fact he needs at least 6 players, three defenders two holding midfield players who can pass it around, and another top finisher up front. This only could happen when BR and club owners would realize that the current crop of players would not achieve fourth spots for the next four seasons or so.
I would expect to get the same kind of results and performance in the coming up games against Villa, Newcastle, Reading, Chelsea, and Everton, and even QPR, LFC have a very tough fixture, and I can’t really see how we going to get maximum out those games!
algymoon

Postby only me » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:11 pm wrote:Sell Johnson ? Well I guess you can't get more knee jerk than that.

He had a poor game ffs and you want him gone ?

I've been thinking and saying it for quite a while ,hardly a knee jerk reaction believe me. Today's performance as well as many others just solidify my opinion....The only problem that his backup's (Kelly and Flano) aren't that good as well.

I've said it over Martin and Lucas as well (although he might be turning the corner after horrible first years).
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Kelly isn't that good ??? And saying it about Lucas ???

We need to keep our quality players not get rid because they have a poor game
Benny The Noon

Postby only me » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:27 pm wrote:Kelly isn't that good ??? And saying it about Lucas ???

Read my post again I think I was clear. I'm all for giving multiple chances for all our players. Johnson ,Skertel and even Lucas are hardly new one's. Now you may think they are our future ,I don't.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:45 pm

that would have been a totally different game if rodgers would have went with 3 in midfield.
infact i cant believe he let the game drift for so long without changing it, we were getting completely over run in midfield and they were creating chance after chance yet he did nothing, god only knows what he was waiting for.
baffling, especially considering our season was on the line.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:50 pm

only me » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:40 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:27 pm wrote:Kelly isn't that good ??? And saying it about Lucas ???

Read my post again I think I was clear. I'm all for giving multiple chances for all our players. Johnson ,Skertel and even Lucas are hardly new one's. Now you may think they are our future ,I don't.

I'm sorry but Licas is playing ok and Johnson had a poor game but your talking nonsense about giving players "multiple chances" when' Johnson is one of our best players - a poor game doesn't change that

And you said Kelly isn't that good ? That suggests your judgement is a little off
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games