SOUTHAMPTON V LIVERPOOL 16/3/13 KO 3.00 PM

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby only me » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:50 pm wrote:
only me » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:40 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:27 pm wrote:Kelly isn't that good ??? And saying it about Lucas ???

We need to keep our quality players not get rid because they have a poor game

Read my post again I think I was clear. I'm all for giving multiple chances for all our players. Johnson ,Skertel and even Lucas are hardly new one's. Now you may think they are our future ,I don't.

I'm sorry but Licas is playing ok and Johnson had a poor game but your talking nonsense about giving players "multiple chances" when' Johnson is one of our best players - a poor game doesn't change that

And you said Kelly isn't that good ? That suggests your judgement is a little off

Benny forgive me but I don't think Glen is one of our best players ,on the contrary I think he is one of our weakest ,just look at our defensive line this year and tell me if Glen is not part of the problem. And it's not only this game ffs ,he doesn't come prepared for each and every game ,he has one good game and five off ,he is lazy ,he is confused and his not the sharpest player out their. Once in awhile he will give you a smashing goal but then it's back to his usual work ethics.

As to Kelly ,still young has room for development ,but from what I've seen ,other then his physics not the most talented RB their is...But I didn't say we should sell him ,still deserves this chance.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Johnson is a strange one. He can have games where he looks absolutely world class and then in other games distinctly average chucked in with a few poor performances for good measure. Lack's the consistency to be a real top draw player which is a shame because the ability is there and clear to see
Doeboy

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:23 pm

only me » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:57 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:50 pm wrote:
only me » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:40 pm wrote:
Benny forgive me but I don't think Glen is one of our best players ,on the contrary I think he is one of our weakest ,just look at our defensive line this year and tell me if Glen is not part of the problem. And it's not only this game ffs ,he doesn't come prepared for each and every game ,he has one good game and five off ,he is lazy ,he is confused and his not the sharpest player out their. Once in awhile he will give you a smashing goal but then it's back to his usual work ethics.

As to Kelly ,still young has room for development ,but from what I've seen ,other then his physics not the most talented RB their is...But I didn't say we should sell him ,still deserves this chance.

Yes Johnson is part of the back line that has struggled this season - struggled because CB have been left isolated with both full backs looking to push on as BRs tactics. We have conceded goals through poor defending at set pieces and mistakes from the cb's - to single out Johnson like that just shows a pre determined opinion on him.

And doesn't come prepared for each and every game ! Well that's a bit of a statement that's you will have to justify. Watch the goals we let him and see how many are because of the Cb's or at set pieces. Not because of Johnson

And if you can't see how talented Kelly is then I would ask you to watch him again - the guy has the lot - just needs to get over his growing pains.
Benny The Noon

Postby stmichael » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:13 pm

game just about sums up the season. we were awful.

no point in singling out indivduals. the whole team were dire.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Southampton got what they deserved, a reasonably comfortable victory. Individually and collectively they were superior to us today.

I like what Rodgers is trying to do with us and I’m happy to give him a fair bit of leeway as he’s a young coach and we were in a bit of a mess when he arrived. But today’s result is his fault in my opinion. By his own admission we only gained control of the game last week when we bought on another central midfielder but today he made the same mistake and did nothing despite the fact we were thoroughly dominated in all departments for 45 minutes by a team in a relegation battle.

You can play with only two central midfielders but only if they both have natural central midfielders instincts in terms of positioning, intelligent pressing, reading runs, etc. Like when we had Alonso and Mascherano. The closest we have too a two like that is Lucus and Allen, and to a lesser extent Henderson. But manager after manager for both England and Liverpool have found that Gerrard isn’t suited to playing in a two. Sure he’ll put in good performances from time to time but the team will get punished fairly often. I think for the rest of the season we really do need to have two of Lucus, Allen or Henderson in the team. Maybe today was a bit of misguided arrogance towards Southampton by Rodgers.

The ideas and schools of thought that Rodgers bases his coaching on always  put the team ahead of individuals but in the last two matches he has put his faith in individuals and compromised the collective. Last week we were lucky to get away with it and today we were emphatically punished. He has to sacrifice either Downing, Sturridge or Coutinho for the greater good.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:21 am

Just when we look like going on a run....we completely ***** it up.

I can't blame any individual player nobody showed up.
killerp

Postby maguskwt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:42 am

The reason I am so infuriated is that we made it very easy for southampton. We were outworked by them. It was very easy to penetrate our defence from our right side and this is down to Johnson and Skrtle. It wasn't helped by the fact that Downing didn't come back enough to cover Johnson. Why is it that Enrique was able to stop southampton's advances on his side and there is no stopping whatsoever on Johnson's side? Enrique was playing with Coutinho in front of him, a player who is supposedly more lightweight and attack minded than Downing and yet he was able to do much better than Johnson. Our right side right now is just all over the place. In the midfield, Allen and Gerrard could not control the middle at all. Only when Lucas came on we were able to contain Southampton abit better. If 4-5 of our outfield players are not performing, how can we expect to beat any team? And those 4-5 players yesterday were Skrtle, Johnson, Downing, Allen and Sturridge.

And I agree with you BR needs to decide whether he wants to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. We seem to be playing 4-2-4 now and I don't know whether that is because Downing is too dumb to see that he is suppose to be one of the midfielders...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedHands » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:22 am

I thought Glen Johnson was terrible against Tottenham too. Watch the first goal where Vertonghen scores. Johnson is the closest player to him and doesn't even make an attempt to prevent him from scoring. Second goal, instead of trying to block the shot he falls on his backside (seriously, I watched it 7 or 8 times in disbelief). He definitely has the talent, but I question his focus and desire. I would be for giving him a few games on the bench. Enrique actually had a pretty good game today. He's a beast.

Our defending has seriously been atrocious this season. Do we not work on it in training? Do we not have enough defense-minded players? I'm not sure, but it has to get better because its rotten.

We really missed Carra today. If we had started Carra for Skrtel and played Henderson for Downing/Coutinho/Sturridge, I think we would have been much more competitive today.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby Reg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:57 pm

We were 11 individuals, it was no team display. Awful, simply awful.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Need to shift the lazy ***** out this summer and get boys in that want to graft
and fight every game for this club.

We can do it when we want but few just going through the motions some weeks
and they need to be moved on now.

Johnson is one, Skrtel, and for me Lucas is finished here though I suspect there
will be many disagree with that.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Lucas finished ? Because of what reason ?
Benny The Noon

Postby Doeboy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:59 pm

parchpea » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:12 pm wrote:Need to shift the lazy ***** out this summer and get boys in that want to graft

Johnson is one, Skrtel, and for me Lucas is finished here though I suspect there

That is absolutely insane
Doeboy

Postby ethanr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Doeboy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:59 am wrote:
parchpea » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:12 pm wrote:Need to shift the lazy ***** out this summer and get boys in that want to graft

That is absolutely insane

Yea and thank God we got rid of Alonso too..
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 pm

Lucas should be playing second fiddle to a beast next year.

His tracking and run of Rodriguez was nothing to write home about.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:45 am

I know Lucas is rated at Anfield but all about opinions.

The lad has had problems and I don't doubt he is a popular player and
top pro but we need a more power and agility in that area or a supreme
technician.

We are getting over run in midfield and find it tough against the more
physical outfits and I have seen Lucas chasing shadows on a number of
occasions this year.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games