Preston vs Liverpool – Sat 13th July – 3pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby the return of HAS » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:56 am

Duo in contention for Preston comeback

Joe Allen and Raheem Sterling are in contention for injury comebacks against Preston North End this weekend, while defender Martin Kelly will be assessed further before returning to action.

Liverpool kick off their pre-season programme for 2013-14 at Deepdale on Saturday in a match which is available live online for LFC TV Online subscribers.

Allen missed the final two months of the 2012-13 campaign following shoulder surgery; Sterling, meanwhile, was rested in the closing weeks of last season due to a thigh complaint.

Kelly, on the other hand, was on the sidelines from September 2012 after suffering a rupture to his anterior cruciate ligament during a clash with Manchester United.

Brendan Rodgers told Liverpoolfc.com: "Joe Allen had an operation and Raheem was out injured for the latter part of the season.

"Raheem has looked great. These are players that are coming back and have looked very good in the early parts of training.

"With Martin Kelly, we just need to assess to see how and where Martin is at. He has obviously worked very hard to get back fit. He has been involved in a lot of the sessions so far. We just need to assess that to see whether Saturday will be the right game for him to come in."

The Reds' fixture with Preston precedes the club's pre-season tour to Indonesia, Australia and Thailand; Rodgers believes it's an ideal opportunity to improve fitness levels.

"We're really looking forward to it. It's a game that comes at the end of our second week of pre-season," the 40-year-old continued.

"The players have been very good in their application and their work ethic has been outstanding. I felt it was important for us to have a game before we set off next week on our pre-season tour, and a game against a great club like Preston - an historic team - is a perfect match for us.

"The main priority is to make sure that the players improve and develop their fitness level, that's the most important element of it. It's also important that we have no injuries.

"But every player knows that every time they step onto the field, whether it's a friendly game or a training session for that matter, it's an opportunity for them to showcase their talents.

"The priority is really the fitness, to develop and improve that, and to ensure that we come out of it with no injuries."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest- ... n-comeback
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:07 am

As usual there will be a number of players missing for our first pre-season game (Reina, Coates, Gerrard, Suarez, Sturridge, Flanagan and Coady). We’ll probably play a different 11 for each half. I'd like to see something like this:

1st half:
                         Mignolet

Johnson     Wisdom     Agger     Robinson

Spearing     Allen
                         Alberto

Downing                           Sterling
                          Borini

2nd half:
                    Jones

Kelly     Skrtel     Toure     Enrique

Lucas     Hendo
                  Teixeira

Assaidi                    Coutinho
                    Aspas
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dundreamin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:34 pm

won't be Surpired either we batter them or they batter us.  Live on on ESPN. BT Infifity
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Got to mention how awful Borini was. Even though it's just a preseason game, the likes of Coutinho, Henderson and even Ibe did their jobs without even trying, while Borini looked like he was eager to do something in this game but failed miserably.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kartiek » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Is it just me or does Glen Johnson look like he just went through child birth?
kartiek

Postby kartiek » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:12 pm

although he did bring the ball down right there like a ballerina! Beautiful!
kartiek

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:02 pm

I must say, both Alberto and Aspas look like interesting signings.

I thought that this Alberto guy was a striker or an AMF. Although he was good with Lucas in central midfield, I didn't expect to see him playing that deep.

Aspas looks like a good signing. It's early to judge but he looks like he fits the system.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby crim cram » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Good to see the new lads and some young ones get some time.  Sterling looks good.  That was a good start to the pre-season.
“Me having no education. I had to use my brains.”  Shankly
crim cram
LFC Super Member

Postby dundreamin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:16 pm

What was final score?
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:18 pm

dundreamin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:16 pm wrote:What was final score?

red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Who scored the goals?
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:54 pm

1- Coutinho (penalty).
2- Ibe (from just outside the box)
3- Sterling (from an assist by Aspas)
4- Aspas (from outside the box, but huge goalie mistake)
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Without reading too much into a pre-season game against poor opposition, we looked quite good today.

We pressed the ball high, passed it well and created chances.  Can't ask for much more than that.

Sterling was a real live wire and looks like he'll hit the ground running again this season.  Ibe looks like he could be a player in the making too, while Coutinho is just a touch of class.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:01 pm

sterling did look sharp and he looked a lot stronger than he was last season as well.
aspas looks a lot more composed than his youtube clips suggest (nice ball for sterlings goal btw) and alberto threaded one or two superb through balls through as part of a generally cultured performance from him.
if pacheco was a new signing we`d be waxing lyrical about his performance too!
good overall performance.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Aspas.  :D

Well, we could (fingers crossed) hit the ground running this year going by that performance - which will be unusual. Promising.  :eyebrow
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games