Man Utd Vs Liverpool 24/02  14:05 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Santa » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:28 pm

Quietly whispering now...should we sell a certain certain winger when a £150M comes in? I felt we need a different way of play and this is not a knee jerks reaction just from today's game. Been having this though for some 2~3 months now...I know it's a taboo subject around here just wanna know what the other guys think of this?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:28 pm

Before the game I would have taken a point, I didn't fancy us at all, given the way the game panned out though I'm sitting here feeling like we've just been beat.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Santa » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:28 pm wrote:Quietly whispering now...should we sell a certain certain winger when a £150M comes in? I felt we need a different way of play and this is not a knee jerks reaction just from today's game. Been having this though for some 2~3 months now...I know it's a taboo subject around here just wanna know what the other guys think of this?

No, no chance, granted he's not playing well atm but every player goes through peaks and troughs. He is currently joint top scorer in the prem as well which is sometimes easy to forget.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:39 pm

Bloody awful second half, we have no play maker, lucky to get a point when all three were for the taking at half time.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Reg » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:39 pm wrote:Bloody awful second half, we have no play maker, lucky to get a point when all three were for the taking at half time.

Creativity is clearly a problem, we spent most of the second half aimlessly hoofing the ball forward like an ale house team.
We look worryingly devoid of idea's atm.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:46 pm

Struggling to have a go at any of our front 3 to be honest. Yes Mane's passing was off and Salah had a quietish game but title winning teams don't just cling onto just 2-3 players to get them wins. We needed someone to step up from midfield in an attacking sense but it never really came. Now I don't know if that is through Klopp's instructions or that it just isn't the players games, but as soon as Utd had all those injury problems, it was a cue for us to give more licence for one of our midfielders. Maybe Keita could have been an option and giving him a bit of freedom to run into dangerous areas to cause issues for them.
All said and done, a point away at Utd is good but there's just something nagging inside me that there was a very good chance of it being 3 points today. I felt Utd were crapping it in the first half after their injuries but I don't remember us testing De Gea very much at all. They were effectively 10 and a half men what with Rashford just looking to get through the game.
Doeboy

Postby Santa » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:52 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:32 pm wrote:
Santa » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:28 pm wrote:Quietly whispering now...should we sell a certain certain winger when a £150M comes in? I felt we need a different way of play and this is not a knee jerks reaction just from today's game. Been having this though for some 2~3 months now...I know it's a taboo subject around here just wanna know what the other guys think of this?

No, no chance, granted he's not playing well atm but every player goes through peaks and troughs. He is joint top scorer in the prem as well let's not forget.

Like every Reds I do appreciate him 100% tbh but I felt our attacking intent are just too one dimensional for far too long now and other teams are beginning to learn how to cope with our front three...I felt we do need a couple of first rate backups whenever Plan A don't work. Perhaps we missed the forward thrust of Chambo, perhaps we don't just go 100 miles per hour right from the get go to put opposition in retreat any more. Whatever it is, something is missing and there's a serious dip in our attacking play and an alarming disconnect in our play in the final third of the field.

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby electrum » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:53 pm

Our blip has become a bliiiip. City are now favourites, I guess. On current form I can see more draws coming our way, if not defeats.

Front three not at it at all; not collectively and not individually for the last couple of months.
Dare I say it... we are missing a Coutinho type player with quality to link Midfield and attack as well. Shaqiri is useful, no more , no less.

Not having any quality back up to the front three may well cost us in the end as we simply can't start Sturridge or Origi - they are sub standard for a PL winning side and should have been sold already.

We should have bought an out and out striker as back up last year, never mind January.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:55 pm

As disappointing as today's result is, I'm not sure I agree with the doom and gloom on here.  Yes, we've been poor, but we're still top of the league and today's point could prove vital at the end of the season given we could (and perhaps should have) lost at the end.

As Klopp has just said in his post-match presser, Lets try again on Wednesday...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:57 pm

Doeboy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:46 pm wrote:Struggling to have a go at any of our front 3 to be honest. Yes Mane's passing was off and Salah had a quietish game but title winning teams don't just cling onto just 2-3 players to get them wins. We needed someone to step up from midfield in an attacking sense but it never really came. Now I don't know if that is through Klopp's instructions or that it just isn't the players games, but as soon as Utd had all those injury problems, it was a cue for us to give more licence for one of our midfielders. Maybe Keita could have been an option and giving him a bit of freedom to run into dangerous areas to cause issues for them.
All said and done, a point away at Utd is good but there's just something nagging inside me that there was a very good chance of it being 3 points today. I felt Utd were crapping it in the first half after their injuries but I don't remember us testing De Gea very much at all. They were effectively 10 and a half men what with Rashford just looking to get through the game.

We play Gini...who never seems to score away from home like ever, Hendo...when was his last goal and Fabinho...who's covering our defence. Where do you think our goals from midfield are coming from? Jurgen is too reliant in the front three to come up with some magic of their own and when that don't happened, we are just playing zombie football...wandering aimlessly all game

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Ok our attack didn't have the best of games but to fair the service to them was dire, Milner couldn't cross for sh1t and Robinson wasn't much better, lots of long balls to nowhere as well
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:13 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:55 pm wrote:As disappointing as today's result is, I'm not sure I agree with the doom and gloom on here.  Yes, we've been poor, but we're still top of the league and today's point could prove vital at the end of the season given we could (and perhaps should have) lost at the end.

As Klopp has just said in his post-match presser, Lets try again on Wednesday...

If klopp tries again with the same tactics and same preparation then he will get the same result...Fact is we are playing our worst football at the most crucial time of the season..we have practically lost our points advantage..And we just don't look like a league winner. Im very disappointed with Klopp at the moment.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Santa » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:57 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:46 pm wrote:Struggling to have a go at any of our front 3 to be honest. Yes Mane's passing was off and Salah had a quietish game but title winning teams don't just cling onto just 2-3 players to get them wins. We needed someone to step up from midfield in an attacking sense but it never really came. Now I don't know if that is through Klopp's instructions or that it just isn't the players games, but as soon as Utd had all those injury problems, it was a cue for us to give more licence for one of our midfielders. Maybe Keita could have been an option and giving him a bit of freedom to run into dangerous areas to cause issues for them.

We play Gini...who never seems to score away from home like ever, Hendo...when was his last goal and Fabinho...who's covering our defence. Where do you think our goals from midfield are coming from? Jurgen is too reliant in the front three to come up with some magic of their own and when that don't happened, we are just playing zombie football...wandering aimlessly all game

I do agree. This is where City trump us. If Aguero, Sane, Sterling etc are struggling, they have De Bruyne and the 2 Silva's behind them who are capable of pulling something off and picking locks. If our front 3 had those type of midfielders behind them,it would make things so much easier for them.

That's not to take away anything from our midfield, because they've done incredibly to help us to where we are but they are all very workmanlike in their play but we knew that when they were brought to the club. Keita hasn't really stepped up so far for me but needs time and is one for next season imo. Ox missing has also been unfortunate as although he won't unlock defences with a pinpoint pass, he does have the ability to run onto defences which helps open things up. In the summer we need to find that a player in the Coutinho mould.
Doeboy

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:24 pm

After their three subs in the first half Man u where there for the taking!

Unfortunately we where all perspiration and fk all inspiration.

We might well go on and win the title if luck goes our way BUT it's obvious that we're still short of some quality.

Given just one of a Gerrard, Alonso or Suarez and we would have battered them today.

Not gonna moan too much, we're top of the league  :buttrock  BUT we're a long way from the finished article.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Red Rum » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi newbie here..

I personally am shocked at our league position just now. We have been bang average all season and have scraped a lot of wins. When City win they spank teams. They are a goal machine!

Analysing things, City's Midfield has more quality than ours, and that's where we may fall short. The lack of a decent playmaker is so obvious, Stevie Wonder can see it. At times, our strikes look isolated, and Jurgen needs to find the new Stevie G this summer.

What did Hendo and Milner do today!?? Virtually nothing. I said after the Champions league final last season, I don't think Hendo and Milner will win you a league title or a PL title, and I stand by that. Keita and Fabinho are too defensive, and Shaqiri, Lallana, etc are not quite there.

We need oxlaide chamberlain back, ASAP to save our season. Otherwise I think we will finish second. My gut feeling says we ain't gonna pull it off this season.

Anyone disagree!??
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games