Man Utd Vs Liverpool 24/02  14:05 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Gerrard30391 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:42 pm

What a dire game of football. Embarrassing to see them park the bus again at OT.

On another note, why were our fans so damn right disrespectful to the youth team coach who’s passed away. Get some class. I
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:27 am

Now I've slept on it...

The back 4 were good in open play but we were on the ropes every time they had a set piece. Milner played the full 90 against Bayern and we expected him to perform miracles for another 90 minutes against Utd? Robbo was clearly concussed on 45', holding his hand indicating pins and needles etc... the ref failed to notice/take action. The 3 subs came on, all were ineffectual.

In short, we had them on the ropes at HT. We came back out then held the ball for the first 2 minutes of the second half and did nothing - that pattern lasted the whole second half. We totally let United back into the game and were lucky to get a point. What was said at half time? Why did we back off? Were we burnt out after the Bayern game?

Shaw played Mo out of the game, out on the touch line he didn't contribute to the game anyway. We had no central striker capable of scoring, we had no midfield general creating opportunities. We have Gini and Hendo who are solid but lack creativity. We must have a proper attacking midfielder and a Owen/Fowler/Torres striker.

We're never going to win the league with this team, we've ground to a halt. And there's no Plan B sitting on the bench....

I hope to goodness our scouts have identified another 2-3 core players for this summer as we're going to need them if we're to win the league next season.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:41 am

The result wasn't bad but the performance was a worry.

I pin-pointed to myself that if there was a decisive turn in the title race it was at home to Leicester when we drew 1-1. Since then, the attack has been flat and it's come at a worrying time.

The Mancs were there for the taking and because of this, they were naturally happy to drop back into Mourinho mode for the most part. The lack of tempo in the final third stifled us into some real predictable, laborious attacking displays which are easy for most defences (see: Leicester, West Ham, Bayern), to snuff out. One shot on target against an inferior Manchester United side is for this side, a side challenging for the title - criminal.

I think Salah has been awful in recent weeks and Luke-tubby-Shaw had him in his dough pocket. Even the basics like controlling the ball and retaining possession have been a tall ask for Mo - who has lost his Jo. I understood completely why he got hooked. Mane became more anonymous as the game went on but he never usually hides and is always a willing worker and having Sturridge on the pitch compounded our hopelessness up front. 

I think we needed a willing runner or ball carrier from midfield to help link attack, Gini (a player who is so underrated) did this well a week or so ago (can't remember who against) but we had none of that yesterday which made the attack look even more toothless.

I hope Firmino is fit for Wednesday, and the crowd get positively behind the lads under the lights against Watford because we're in desperate need of resuscitating our attack with perhaps either Keita or Shaq aiding and supporting life into it.

PS. I like the way Klopp didn't hang anyone out to dry in his PM interview (like I did with Mo above  :D ) but you could see from his demeanour yesterday at the final whistle he wasn't happy with that performance; behind close doors I hope he's addressing what looks like to me a loss of confidence, and the tendency that comes with it to panic under pressure from Mo & co. And to instil that 'heavy metal' mentality back into the camp.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:15 am

God Kenny, you're always so sensible....  :laugh:  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:44 am

Klopp worries me ,yes he is a fascinating person ,brings loads character to the game and is a master of player-manager relations but you can't stop and wonder if he really understand the overall situation? With all his talk on "heavy metal" "angry" "Pressing" i'm not seeing any of it almost all of this year and now coming crunch time where we are evidently in a downward spiral (performance and results wise) ,you got to ask your self what is he seeing and why isn't he changing anything? He is way too conservative with his lineups ,his subs are late ,his team doesn't open games with energy ,his players are not focused ,i mean what the fck is going on? We are out of the cups have long time to rest and train and prepare ,we travel abroad to sunny fckville ,players return look drained ,not motivated ,not focused ,no game plan ,no desire to win  i don't understand what are they being told? what are they training on? Are they all crushed under the pressure of a title race?

Lady luck/destiny has put us in an amazing place this year ,We had the points ,we had the time to prepare ,yes battling some injuries ,but overall a great position to be in ,and while we still have this 1p lead it seems we fcked it up big time...Terrible Transfer window ,terrible preparation for games ,terrible approach and terrible performance...Having to battle this behemoth City team ,it's a once in a decade chance we probably dropped...

I'm so disappointed we are so close to the promise land and boom such a collapse..Fck the process Klopp is talking about ,you have a chance Grab it! go full force ,risk everything ,Win or die trying...

Rant over.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:46 am

Reg » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:27 am wrote:Now I've slept on it...

The back 4 were good in open play but we were on the ropes every time they had a set piece. Milner played the full 90 against Bayern and we expected him to perform miracles for another 90 minutes against Utd? Robbo was clearly concussed on 45', holding his hand indicating pins and needles etc... the ref failed to notice/take action. The 3 subs came on, all were ineffectual.

In short, we had them on the ropes at HT. We came back out then held the ball for the first 2 minutes of the second half and did nothing - that pattern lasted the whole second half. We totally let United back into the game and were lucky to get a point. What was said at half time? Why did we back off? Were we burnt out after the Bayern game?

Shaw played Mo out of the game, out on the touch line he didn't contribute to the game anyway. We had no central striker capable of scoring, we had no midfield general creating opportunities. We have Gini and Hendo who are solid but lack creativity. We must have a proper attacking midfielder and a Owen/Fowler/Torres striker.

We're never going to win the league with this team, we've ground to a halt. And there's no Plan B sitting on the bench....

I hope to goodness our scouts have identified another 2-3 core players for this summer as we're going to need them if we're to win the league next season.

Milner didnt play against Munich

I think the starting line up was more about being solid -and also Milner was there because TAA has just come back from injury

Once they had their injuries they just sat deep looking to break or use a set piece - Sturridge was the wrong call , would have brought on Naby and played Mo through the middle. Once Bobby did go off the front three just stopped running and i think thats down to Sturridges lack of game awareness and where Mo and Mane run but both of them didnt cover themselves in glory and didnt even do the basics right. But its the Manc game at their shithole and it was full of tension - take the draw
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:38 am

Lallana in Pyjamas » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:46 am wrote:
Reg » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:27 am wrote:Now I've slept on it...

Milner didnt play against Munich

I think the starting line up was more about being solid -and also Milner was there because TAA has just come back from injury

Once they had their injuries they just sat deep looking to break or use a set piece - Sturridge was the wrong call , would have brought on Naby and played Mo through the middle. Once Bobby did go off the front three just stopped running and i think thats down to Sturridges lack of game awareness and where Mo and Mane run but both of them didnt cover themselves in glory and didnt even do the basics right. But its the Manc game at their shithole and it was full of tension - take the draw

I think alot of ppl would have taken the draw before the match considering how they are on very good form.
However, after the 1st half in which they had to use all their 3 subs on key players and their 4th key player limping, I thought that we could have a right go at them. It's the performance for the 2nd half and the inability to step up when required that is really really disappointing.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rum » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:23 am

Their manager summed our performance up post match when he said that Their keeper, De Gea, never had a single save to make.

Tells you the whole story. I hate the 'baby faced pr*ck', but it was true.

No need to over analyse it.

I don't agree with what some posters have wrote saying that our boys are showing signs of fatigue etc. WTF! We've had ten day breaks in marbella and dubai in the sunshine in January / February whilst other teams were slogging it out in the FA Cup and League Cups etc.

Lame excuse. No way can our boys be tired at this stage.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby only me » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:50 am

Red Rum » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:23 am wrote:Their manager summed our performance up post match when he said that Their keeper, De Gea, never had a single save to make.

I don't agree with what some posters have wrote saying that our boys are showing signs of fatigue etc. WTF! We've had ten day breaks in marbella and dubai in the sunshine in January / February whilst other teams were slogging it out in the FA Cup and League Cups etc.

Probably more of a mental fatigue..They are just not up to it at the moment.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:17 am

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby algymoon » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:44 am

It was a shitty performance from an average Liverpool team! some people said that the scum parked buses to stop Liverpool, however, the scum had the best chances in the game!!!, they were battered with injuries to their first 11, otherwise they would have beat us comfortably.
All our players were very bad, however, the worst players are Abu Falafel, master of the duds Firmino, and Klopp's Joker Origi (the match winner) The nutcase manager and the team are a total shambles!  Are they going to secure first league spot? on this showing, I am not so sure!!!   DREAM ON
algymoon

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:10 pm

extremely disappointing and frustrating performance, the mancs were there for the taking and we failed to capitalise, they were the walking wounded and were happy to sit back and take a draw, it was obvious after 20 mins that we didnt need 3 dms and the change for Henderson should of happened earlier but I would of went with Keita coming on instead of Shaq, I felt Klopps whole approach to the game was pragmatic but you cant blame the manage for how slow and predictable our build up play was plus Salah and Mane both deciding to have their worst games in Liverpool shirts at the same time! half the time we were just hoofing it into the channels. It was definitely a missed opportunity considering the circumstances,we will never get a better change to beat them at Old Trafford.

We need to get our fluidity back and stick with the midfield of Gini, Fabinho and Keita for the foreseeable future, Hendo is just to slow on the turn and his passing range way too limited and Milner has completely ran out of steam.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:45 pm

The problem with the front 3 is they're all untouchable and guaranteed starters every game... That is a worry for me! Competition for players gets the best out of players.

City buying Mahrez and starting him ahead of Sane made Sane more hungry and he had to knuckle down and fight back for his spot. I think having Studge with his injury record and Origi has the only possible strikers to come on or start from the bench is really poor. We had a turnover of £100m and this is the best ever chance of winning the league... instead this year we've had to play a 16 year old right back as a Center back, a Center midfielder as a right back, a Center midfielder as a Center back. We as fans saw the dip happening and it could have been avoided... you ask why we are being so negative?? And my answer is 29 years of hurt and disappointment..
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Red Rum » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:28 pm

only me » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:50 am wrote:
Red Rum » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:23 am wrote:Their manager summed our performance up post match when he said that Their keeper, De Gea, never had a single save to make.

Probably more of a mental fatigue..They are just not up to it at the moment.

I think it is just pressure at this stage of the season. We looked nervous and played like it away at man City also.

Can we handle the pressure in the run in!

We handled it last season in the Champions league, so why not.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Franky000 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:02 pm

UvS has already hit the nail on the head....too many dead set starters with no squad depth, and thus competition for places. We need to keep a hold of our top players this summer while bringing in reinforcements.

If we have to sell big names in order to buy again, then we’ll just be back to square one. Don’t forget that this still isn’t 100 percent jurgen’s team yet...there’s  still dead wood from the bodger’s era. We have to keep the top dogs, sell the dead dogs, and bring in more top dogs.

Anyway, although I’d prefer the league, if we squander that and win the CL I’d be happy.
Franky000

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games