Liverpool vs west ham - 27-02-11

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby lakes10 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:07 pm

centarec wrote:I only watched the second half ( and 5 mins of the first) and from what i saw , we weren't terrible .. We weren't good but not as bad as people are saying.  you have to give credit to the West Ham team .. THis was probably their best performance this season

i was at the game mate, it not that we was bad....its the fact that west ham were better.........and they are at the bottom.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:17 pm

lakes10 wrote:
centarec wrote:I only watched the second half ( and 5 mins of the first) and from what i saw , we weren't terrible .. We weren't good but not as bad as people are saying.  you have to give credit to the West Ham team .. THis was probably their best performance this season

i was at the game mate, it not that we was bad....its the fact that west ham were better.........and they are at the bottom.

Not that bad people, not that bad.

It's a big shame Kelly's injured, in addition to Shelvey a few weeks ago, some of these youngsters are really starting to look the part. Wilson did well today also.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 pm

and on another note Scottbot shouldbe banned from starting any more match threads.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 pm

lakes10 wrote:
Greavesie wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote::laugh:
When the sh'it hits the fan and reality bites us on the ar'se its great to see who some think is to blame
If we would have won today there would have been no mention whatsoever of woys name here.
We are 6th and could have got three points which would have gotten us closer to chelsea. If they get beat by the skanks on tuesday we would have been talking realistically about catching and even overtaking them. Instead we get twatted by the team on the botom and some Fu*king beauts are wailing that its woys fault we wont come 4th.
As was said at the time of Hodgson was manager:  "Dont blame the previous manager. Woy is in charge. Its his team"
Funny how thats changed now KK has just been hammered by the cockerneys...

again who blamed Roy for today's loss?

blaming a manager hasn't changed at all - nobody has said it's Roy's fault. The position we were in when Roy left meant getting fourth was going to be a big ask. You read completely different things than what is in front of you sometimes

NANNY

I have blamed the players for todays lose .read my post properly .
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:49 pm

Dont worry Sange, I had your back :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:14 am

West Ham played the game of their lives earlier, and better sides than the Reds would have struggled out there Today .I also thought their
defence was marshalled superbly by the excellent Upson ,every threat the Reds could muster was snuffed out with total efficiency ,and its a complete mystery how a side capable of performances like this are in the bottom three ...Suarez was completely swamped  every time he received the ball and the way they compressed the little space he had was equally impressive .... all in all the Hammers are on the rise and we were taken to the cleaners by Grant and his men ....... Sometimes a defeat like this is needed to put all the wild expectations to bed  ,the Reds will learn from this and be stronger for it ...... last word must go to the brilliant travelling fans who were singing till the end ,and that word is UNIQUE :)
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:22 am

Greavesie wrote:
Kenny Kan wrote:Isn't it at Upton Park?

Our last three games have been very flat - Roy-esque dare I say. Hopefully the ''honeymoon period'' under Kenny isn't wilting.

We've got every chance of winning this but we'll have to up our performances if we are to achieve that, hopefully we will, hopefully Gerrard will be back and perhaps we'll get to see a glimpse of Carroll.

I wouldnt say its wilting at all, even at the home game against Sparta our fans were pretty supportive considering there wasn't much worth shouting about on the pitch.

Three games? You think we were Roy-esque against Wigan?

We've had two EL games where we couldnt use either of our new strikers (for different reasons) and Gerrards been missing. Once they come back the roy-esque Liverpool you refer to will sharp disappear

You were wrong.  :(
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:42 am

On a side note I hope to God we don't qualify for another UEFA cup spot next season, I hope Chelsea get it. It's a demoralizing competition that just gets in the way IMHO. Stevie and Carra are knocking on the heartbeats of our side and we'll need them fresh to concerntrate on the domestic season next year fighting to get back into the top four. The last thing this club needs is a second rate European competition to hamper what surely has to be our primary focus.

I didn't see the game today as the missus let the result out of the bag just before I went to dl the game  :angry: and I couldn't bare to watch us lose 3-1.

All I know is deadwood needs to be shipped out of the team next season, even if they're demoted to squad use; Kuyt, Lucas, Skertel and Maxi shouldn't be anywhere near the starting eleven on a weekly basis. I see Kuyt's up for a contract renewal, his place needs to be on the bench IMO. We seemed to have settled for mediocrisy for far too long now and we have fans who champion the bit for Lucas and Kuyt, and it really highlights how far we have dropped. :(
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby alwayslfc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:22 am

Many of you criticise the players for the awful performance. Yes, I agree the players didn't play well and if they continue to play like this vs Man U next week, we will be thrashed, period, I absolutely guarantee it and can even put my house to bet on this one.

I don't know whether KK is also to blame for all these PL woes since the Wigan match and whether he deserves to be given an extension to his contract in the summer for the sake of his legendary status which took 14 years to earn. His appointment as caretaker boss for the 2nd half of the season was the perfect one to replace inept RH who could have got us relegated and now under KK we're in 6th place and at one time was aiming for 4th spot finish.

We've played 8 PL games under KK now with 4 wins, 2 defeats and 2 draws. Yes we've improved in our results but our play on the pitch were pititful even with the ones we won where most of the possession were given away and so demoralising to watch. That's why I won't be watching the Man U game because I know most of the ball possession again will be taken by them, I'm not saying we will get beat (personally IMHO this is likely). KK has only improved the results but not our style of play, Lvp on the pitch lack confidence and do not seem to be hungry for goals and I am not sure what went wrong and who are the ones responsible.

I'd put it down to these reasons.

1. All the players who have played this season except for Suarez are either Rafa's or RH's signings and many of them are duds.
2. The tail end of Rafa's and RH's first half management were terrible and took its' toll on the confidence of the players.
3. Maybe, just maybe KK has lost his edge and doesn't have what it takes to be champions again like he was 20 years ago. Nevertheless, I'd love to see him continue on for a few more seasons with big funds from the owners and let him bring in the players he want to work with and see whether he can rebuild another championship side again. However, if the owners can replace him with a better guy (this will be a tough one), I'll be happy with this outcome as well as I love him too much to see his legendary status being tarnished.
alwayslfc

Postby Simari » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:32 am

I think a lot of folks are seriously underestimating the quality of squad influx that west ham have had over the January window, be in the form of loans or purchases. All of these purchases have fit right in and adjusted to the EPL.

They were bottom and drifting away from the pack before winter. Since January, they have been climbing back up the table. With the squad at hand, they are very capable of a mid-table finish and suspect they will do just that.

As for us, reserve any judgement till Carroll is fit and leading us at the top. The fact that Kenny has managed good results without a proven striker in the EPL is in itself a feat. Raul has scored 5 of our last 10 epl goals and when he limped off early in the 2nd half, we weren't going to get much from this game. I can't remember him actually mis-placing a pass (cannot say the same for Gerrard).

Disappointed yes, but more than happy to wait and see how the team performs once Carroll is fit and running.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:06 am

Simari, yes West Ham have been playing better, but, they were bottom of the league at kickoff, so they haven't been world beaters.  We just caught them on their day.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Johnny Boy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 am

I agree West Ham played well, the worrying aspect for me is once we had to make changes our midfield didn't cope well at all.

Lucas looked tired and Gerrard rusty.

Suarez will be great once he has some proper help up front.

My main worry is at the back, we have plenty of options but not enough class. Skrtel in particular doesn't look good enough and I lost count of the number of times Carra shouted at him.
A commanding centre half is becoming one of our priorities for next season in my opinion.

Thought Wilson did ok and shows promise.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:25 pm

It was a reality check more than anything else. Yes results have picked up under Kenny but I'd seen enough in the two games against Sparta and the Wigan game to suggest that a result like this could be coming. We looked completely lethargic and too many players were well off the pace. Whether the game on Thursday had an effect I don't know but West Ham were a yard quicker to every ball and wanted it more. I'd love to see Scott Parker in a Liverpool shirt by the way.

Our defence was shambolic aswell. Infact I've never seen our defence back off so much as we did yesterday. We made West Ham look like Barcelona at times. Going forward we were powder puff until the last 20 minutes when we started to dominate. Suarez is still clearly adjusting to the pace and physicality of the League but the guy still has glimpses of absolute quality like making the goal out of nothing, forcing a world class save from Green and he also should have had a penalty. We just need Carroll back now for him to feed off.

For what it's worth we won't play as poorly against the Mancs that's for sure. Their central midfield is weak imo and if we can dominate in there then we'll have a great chance. Carroll will be on the bench imo.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Despite having to get up this morning at 4 a.m. I decided to watch MOTD last nite. Maybe the highlights sugarcoated a cack performance....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Scottbot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Not sure why everyone is so keen to discuss blame for yesterday's result and our season in general? Surely you must all be tired of it by now?

Anyways, my take on the game.

- First and foremost they wanted it more. They're fighting for their lives and it was clear as day. For 70 minutes they won every 50-50 ball, most of the 2nd balls and they chased, pressed and harried our lads into mistakes all over the park. We couldn't match their intensity. Don't know if that's because we had tired players out there, or it was overconfidence or what. Hard to win a game of football if you don't match the oppo for effort.

- Our shape did not work at all, I said it to me mate after about 15 minutes, we were all over the shop and they were set up perfectly to deal with 3-5-2. They played with width, did a great job of stringing out our back 3 and created a lot of 2 on 1's in wide areas. When Kelly got injured it was almost a blessing in disguise as it forced Kenny to change it.

- I don't like to pick on one player but young Wilson had an absolute nightmare. They sussed it early and picked on him all game with diagonal balls into his area. Watch for the 2nd goal he loses the header and then fails to track his runner tightly (Ba) who then scores the goal. I know it's early but I don't think he's up the LFC standard. He's not the tallest and I can't see him winning too many aerial battles and neither does he have great pace or look so good playing in space.

- We couldn't pass it. Our passing game has been much better under Kenny but yesterday it was poor. Tempo was slow and the midfield simply did not show enough for it and we ended up hitting hopeful balls into areas instead of keeping hold of it. Lack of width killed us as well.

PS. Scotty Parker's name has been bandied about in jest in thsi place on more than a few occasions but he was absolutely first class yesterday. Was VERY impressed with the lads performance.
Last edited by Scottbot on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games