LIVERPOOL vs Man City 3/01/2019 8pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:32 am

We can't sit back but we can't leave ourselves open like we did against Arsenal. Arsenal were having some joy against us early on and Klopp had to make some tactical changes. Shaq and Mane had to drop 10 yards and make it more of a 4-4-2. Hurting them on the counter like we did last year is the best way to beat City at their place. But that doesn't mean sitting in our own box. It just means controlling the spaces in our own half and being quick in the transition. I'd expect City to have more of the ball but using our counter attack effectively can mean we create more chances.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:45 am

Pep and City fear playing us and the fact we could be 10 points ahead of them after tonight adds massive pressure. They were so desperate against Southampton, all the City players were running around like headless chickens trying to win the ball back.

If we keep calm, City will create openings through desperation, and we will take full advantage!!
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:40 pm

Pig Catcher » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:32 pm wrote:We can't sit back but we can't leave ourselves open like we did against Arsenal. Arsenal were having some joy against us early on and Klopp had to make some tactical changes. Shaq and Mane had to drop 10 yards and make it more of a 4-4-2. Hurting them on the counter like we did last year is the best way to beat City at their place. But that doesn't mean sitting in our own box. It just means controlling the spaces in our own half and being quick in the transition. I'd expect City to have more of the ball but using our counter attack effectively can mean we create more chances.

Good post. People on here seem to think there are only two possible tactics, sit back and park the bus or gung ho attack. I tried saying a few times that we probably should try to play a more BALANCED game rather than defend or all out attack. The all out attack worked well against Arsenal but the huge gaps we left and the lack of control that we had in midfield was evident. Arsenal were just incapable of exploiting those spaces but City is a different beast.

Yakka has got a point though, City hate defending, so probably the best way to beat them or try to survive at least and force a draw, would be to make them defend.

I honestly don't know what would be the best tactics to be honest, but I'm sure Klopp does and will return home with a positive result :buttrock
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Match day people this feels like a friggin final.

I don't think City will come out all guns blazing because they will have plenty of time to score. It is not like they are trying to catch up on goals like a cup tie.

Pepe will be cautious imo just like Klopp. It will come down which team takes their chances. I'm not expecting a City from the UCL 2nd leg I'm expecting City to try and control the game and try to exploit us when they can.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:11 pm

Of all the days of the year...

Traveling today and couldn’t get access to the broadcast of the game (I’m sure I could find one if I looked hard enough but the game is showing at odd hours here and I have a meeting early tomorrow). Room’s WiFi/4G is too slow to pick up any streams so I will have to rely on you guys to keep me abreast with what’s going on.

Come on you Redmen...we extend our lead by tonight
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Franky000 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:19 pm

We need to blitz them in the first half and leave them with a mountain to climb in the second. If we hold off too much it will give their players confidence and more time to exploit openings at the back. A team like city can’t be allowed to settle too much so we will try to keep hold of the ball for extended periods. I was gonna say I’d be happy with a draw, but f*ck that, we’ve made mince meat out of these before and we will do it again.
Franky000

Postby redshade » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:25 pm

Few hours to go folks brace yourselves.......
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:22 pm

We know Pep is always worried about our front 3 and with our Fab 3 hitting form at the right time I expect City will not be so gung-ho and go all out attack.

Their own recent form will also have an effect on Pep who will make sure we don’t get 3 points and extend the lead tonight, so I’ll expect them to play a very cautious game.

We should play to our strength and not worried about what they could do...and I think we have the momentum to overcome them, or at worst come out with a draw...what do you guys think?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Santa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:22 pm wrote:We know Pep is always worried about our front 3 and with our Fab 3 hitting form at the right time I expect City will not be so gung-ho and go all out attack.

Their own recent form will also have an effect on Pep who will make sure we don’t get 3 points and extend the lead tonight, so I’ll expect them to play a very cautious game.

We should play to our strength and not worried about what they could do...and I think we have the momentum to overcome them, or at worst come out with a draw...what do you guys think?

I agree exactly what i mentioned.

It isn't like the UCL 2nd leg when City needed quick goals. This will be a more different game plan from Pepe. He will attack but imo more cautiously rather than being adventurous.

I really hope we manage to somehow win.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:01 pm

I watched City's game the other day against Southampton and they still looked shaky as ***** at the back, granted Guardiola made a few changes but only one or two, the way I see it this is a free crack at them, even if we get battered we will still be 4 points clear so let's go out there, play no fear football and enjoy ourselves.
We are the ones in form and they are going through a dodgy patch so let's make the most of it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red_indian » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:01 pm

Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Mignolet, Fabinho, Keita, Moreno, Sturridge, Lallana, Shaqiri.
red_indian

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:09 pm

He's gone with a conservative midfield, I would have preferred us to set up more aggressively, I know we are away from home but as I said this is an opportunity to have a free crack at them, even if we lose we still finish the night 4 points clear of them so we should have went for it a bit more.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby electrum » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 pm

That line up suggests we are going to go compact and not be go too gung ho...
I would look at throwing on Shaq and Fabinho/Keita around the hour mark if it's level.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:13 pm

Pep is worried having to play Laporte at LB.. I think he'll play 3 CB's personally, I'm sure he did the same thing at Anfield if I'm not mistaken.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:24 pm

I feel like this is an ideal game for Fabinho, but nobody really has a right to question Klopp’s lineups or tactics at this point.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games