Liverpool vs Chelsea 31st Jan 20:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

Doeboy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:58 pm wrote:Really don't know what was going on with the goal we conceded. Looked like something off a sunday league game.

Mate, I honestly have no idea what Mingolet was doing, the ref clearly blew the whistle and its not as if Luiz struck the ball the instant it was sounded, there was a good 4-5 second delay before Luiz put his foot through the thing. If you look at Mingolet he is actually standing there nattering away to our defenders without a care in the world like some arl woman at a bus stop as the ****** ball is flying through the air!
Only we could concede a goal like that in such a crucial game.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:58 am

Firmino cost us three points tonight. Awful, awful finishing. He really is another Luis Garcia type player, brilliant some games and utterly rubbish in others.

If you look back at the goal we conceded Mignolet had more than enough time to set up his wall and positioning. Saying that he didn't hear the "whistle" is amateur hour really, he should have been watching the ball and Chelsea players. That being said Clattenberg should have acknowledged Mignolet before blowing his whistle, which he didn't.

Costa should have been sent off for the blatant dive which led to their penalty, utterly despicable behaviour seeing as he and Hazard were throwing themselves around like ragdolls the entire fu.cking game.

Henderson should marched up to Clattenburg and told him to flash a yellow for this nonsense straight into the first few minutes the elephant man went down in the box. This could have prevented the free kick we conceded a goal with, to begin with  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Doeboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:20 am

With the pen, just think as soon as Matip stuck his leg out, Costa was going to look to clip it and go over. Nowadays, as soon as you hang a leg like that, your inviting a the oppo player to clip it for a pen. Thought it was a dive first but after replays, it was a pen.

Didn't think it was great defending by Matip to be honest, body position looked all wrong. As though he wanted to show him the outside but was too far across to do that and left space behind him while side on and just stuck a leg out in the hope he would get the ball.
Doeboy

Postby Reg » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:24 am

I would rather have got 3 points against Bournemouth than one point against Chelsea.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:46 am

Doeboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:20 am wrote:With the pen, just think as soon as Matip stuck his leg out, Costa was going to look to clip it and go over. Nowadays, as soon as you hang a leg like that, your inviting a the oppo player to clip it for a pen. Thought it was a dive first but after replays, it was a pen.

Didn't think it was great defending by Matip to be honest, body position looked all wrong. As though he wanted to show him the outside but was too far across to do that and left space behind him while side on and just stuck a leg out in the hope he would get the ball.

IMO Matip didn't have a very good game but to be fair to him in that instance he was dropped right in the shyte by Lovren, he was left with a 2 on 1 situ against Hazard and Costa which is almost impossible to defend.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:49 am

Interesting game. Chelsea would have taken the point before the game and we needed to get something from the game to stop the rot. A few observations:

- I dont think any keeper would have stopped that freekick. You can criticize Mignolet for not being ready but it wouldnt have made a difference. He did brilliantly to stop the penalty and should get credit for that.
- Costa incident was a penalty imo. Matip was guilty of some sloppy play throughout the 90mins and I hope his poor decision making tonight is just him lacking in match fitness.
- I dont get the Coutinho substitutions that are becoming the norm; even when he's not at his best, he's one of few in the side who can create something out of nothing.
- I also don't get why Firmino is never substituted regardless of how bad a game hes having. Gave the ball away cheaply and missed chances, we should have given Sturridge a chance off the bench in a big game like this; could be what he needs to get back to playing at a level anywhere near what he's capable of.
- On Firmino, I am now convinced he is the weak link in our front 5 (everything ahead of Henderson; Coutinho, Mane, Lallana, Wijanldum that is). Matip and  Milner aside, our back 5 + Henderson can be improved upon. Finding a better striker is something I think we'll need to do in the summer to take this squad to the next level.
- Overall, a draw is a decent result considering other results from the gameweek. No one expected Arsenal and Tottenham to drop points and the point we got keeps us in the race for 4th. We'll still need to improve considerably on our January form but with a healthy starting 11, no cup games, and seemingly favorable fixtures, we have every chance.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:43 am

bunglemark2 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:44 pm wrote:Here's a thought... Even "if" others slip up because they're playing for silverware in competitions we've been dumped out of, isn't that*still* a bit shyte on our part? That we're not good enough on our own merit? The term 'schadenfreude' springs to mind, and it's a little petty...

It is mate... and from the looks of the posts on here it is clear that FSG has managed to lower the fans' expectations. Perform really really terrible for the cup games and now we are more or less content with drawing chelsea at anfield despite our performance in the 2nd half. To me, this game was 2 points lost. The same goes for our season performance. The way we got dumped out from the cups  with a whimper and the way our title challenge is faltering, now we are content with just finishing top 4. And one couldn't say that most fans would grab top 4 at the beginning of the season if it was given because we know that we can perform better than that during the first half of the season. With better planning and reinforcement during the January window, we could have sustained the title challenge and we could have progressed further in the cups. I'm not asking to win the league nor the cups but only for the management to give the best they got. Right now it really looks negligent by the management or they just weren't serious about a title challenge or winning a trophy...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:34 am

I felt Chelsea where the better side and errors at the back again, same old.

It was on OK performance but not good enough which kinda sums us up overall.

Reality is that if we want to challenge for the title to the end we need a lot a changes and that takes a lot of money that I dont think
we want to put in and Klopp enjoys the long road to success, after 27 years I dont.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:18 am

I'm a lot more optimistic about our prospects of a top 4 finish now. Mane back and a settled 11 for a straight 15 game sprint to the finish line.

I do have concerns about Firmino though, what the hell has happened to him this last month. Absolutely diabolical.

The reality is this squad was too thin to challenge on many fronts and probably for the title itself. We get Champions League football and we can give the squad the injection of quality it so badly needs
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby redshade » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:19 am

To challenge for the title you need a big squad. Main xi has to have a strong spine with x2 or x3 mega quality players, if not world class very close to.

Almost every title winning team has that. Have a look at past champions teams and you will spot solid players, game changers etc..

Look at Chelsea Luiz, kante, Willian, Hazard, Costa.
They also have strong bench with likes of Fabregas, Pedro, Batshayia.

Whereas with us i could only think of Coutinho and Mane as strong talent. We've got a lot of work to be done

Like many said until we splash the cash were always going to do average.

I hope we qualify for Champs league because i really want to see how much is injected into the team.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:43 pm

I know some are disappointed with last nights result but we have got to be realistic, Chelsea are a good side yet we've taken 4 points out of a possible 6 from them, any club including Barcelona or Bayern would be happy with a win and a draw from 2 games against Chelsea.
We just need to keep going and see what happens, Arsenal and Spurs slipped up last night against Watford and Sunderland so it's not just us who drops silly points, there's going to be a lot of twists and turns before this season is over that's for sure.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:15 pm

Another way of looking at that Yakka is that Chelsea have taken 1 point out of 6 from Liverpool. We all know that there is a lot of work to be done. Gerrard hinted last night on TV that we will see several positive incoming players during the summer. I know January was frustrating but for every Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge January there are plenty of disasters - £35M FOR CARROLL COMES TO MIND. This was never going to be an easy fix and if ever there was a time to get behind the team, after one of their worst months for a very long time, it is now.

Realistically a lot of us would have accepted a return to the CL as a massive step in the right direction. We are still in there fighting and personally, without anything else to worry about, we have a great chance of achieving CL qualification.

That is not to say that I am not worried about Hull at the weekend who are currently bottom of the league !!  These game have become our biggest problem.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby algymoon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:38 pm

There was a vast differences between Chelsea the most confirmed Champion and Liverpool and the latter was never in same frame to be a Champion!
Chelsea have Top Keeper, top defenders, and top Striker score from half chances.
Liverpool have no Top Keeper, no top defenders, no top striker, but Liverpool have useless strikers cannot score from 10 yards as the likes of Firmino (£0.29p)

The only player which stood out was Wijnadum, however Liverpool should have won the game as they have controlled most of it, but the high rate of miss place passes didn't help.

It was a major set back, and it will continue..
algymoon

Postby redshade » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Algy you took it easy mate. I was looking forward to your post. :D
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:45 pm

algymoon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:38 pm wrote:There was a vast differences between Chelsea the most confirmed Champion and Liverpool and the latter was never in same frame to be a Champion!
Chelsea have Top Keeper, top defenders, and top Striker score from half chances.
Liverpool have no Top Keeper, no top defenders, no top striker, but Liverpool have useless strikers cannot score from 10 yards as the likes of Firmino (£0.29p)

The only player which stood out was Wijnadum, however Liverpool should have won the game as they have controlled most of it, but the high rate of miss place passes didn't help.

It was a major set back, and it will continue..

You mean the keeper who didn't hear the whistle? Surely you amongst others should have noticed this...  :grinning:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games