LIVERPOOL vs ASTON VILLA - 24/08/09 - 8PM K.O

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby bigmick » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:35 pm

In answer to Joe and Fauxy, yes I think that Rafa may take the view that sitting Gerrard in front of the back four would offer more protection than Masherano. I think (and I might as well lay my cards on the table here) that if Gerrard played in Masherano's slot, he would be a better player. Not just better at what Gerrard would bring to the role as an add on, but better at what Masherano brings to the role as well. I think if Rafa played Gerrard as a holder, it would make it far more difficult to get either or both of Agbonlahor and Carew into the game.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:20 pm

I think it will be same team as last time or possibly with the new greek bloke making his debut. I don't think we will (or should) be making many changes.

If we can start doing better at defending set pieces I think we will win this one quite comfortably, maybe 3-0  .
account deleted by request

Postby ken_job » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:15 pm

I would echo those comments there saint. No need to change anything except straight swap Kyrgiakos for Ayala. Rafas comments during the week suggest that he is perfactly happy with the team but will give the young centre backs more before they feature again. If rafa was gonna bring Stevie G back into midfield he would have done it midweek on the back of that dreadful performance against the spurs. i cant see it needing changed now after a win and an understrength Villa.

Lets whoop 'em!

3-0 I'm going for!
ken_job

Postby TheLad » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:52 pm

I will buy a 1-0 win anytime against Villa.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Villa are pretty sht down the middle with all the players they've lost during the summer... Cuellar i hear is their only fit Cb.. down the middle they seem to play Petrov and ReoCoker who arent the best of pairings imo and will always struggle to control a game... so theyll probably play a direct game and rely heavily on the flanks and the pace of Agbonlahor and Young in particular... Lucas-Mascherano should be looking to play the ball on the ground and move it around as much as possible to open gaps... whether theyll be able to do that or not is a big question mark to me..

Personally id play the best side we have atm which again, includes Benny playing down the right, with Riera down the left, with Gerrard and Mascherano/Lucas in the middle ahead of Gerrard.. Kuyt and Torres upfront..

Having 5 in the middle like we usually do should ,in theory, offer the back4 more protection... but with this being a home game against a struggling Villa side id rather we made sure we controlled the game and got the goals rather than worrying about whether Villa have it in them to test our back 4 ....

All in all, this should be 3 points in the bag and comfortable victory regardless of our lineup... but you never know... ill be looking at how any midfield set we play perform.. because to me, thats our main worry until Aquilani is back...  I expect a bit of styling from Rafa for this one...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tim LFC » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:23 pm

I just wan't a win! I would be happier if we can score more then twice but either way a win is inevitable!
Tim LFC

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:28 pm

bigmick wrote:In answer to Joe and Fauxy, yes I think that Rafa may take the view that sitting Gerrard in front of the back four would offer more protection than Masherano. I think (and I might as well lay my cards on the table here) that if Gerrard played in Masherano's slot, he would be a better player. Not just better at what Gerrard would bring to the role as an add on, but better at what Masherano brings to the role as well. I think if Rafa played Gerrard as a holder, it would make it far more difficult to get either or both of Agbonlahor and Carew into the game.

sounds a little like cutting your nose to spite your face. You could say Gerrard is better than our current  . . . name your position if he really wanted to play there.

Gerrard is money on the business end, I don't think you can really ignore that.

I guess a proper analysis would have to involve measuring where the biggest difference is:  What Gerrard can bring to the holding role - What Mascherano can bring to the holding role   OR What Gerrard can bring to the AM/SS role - What Yossi can bring to the AM/SS role.

Then you mention specifically how he could stop Carew or Agbonlahor from getting into the game. Are these "horses for courses" tactics?  I thought you didn't like those.  If this is a one off "solution," don't you also have to take into account the "cost" in fluidity to our regular formation?

Then there is the practicality of how long has it been since Gerrard played like this for 90 minutes? I am sure in his mind, he would feel, I should probably get a bit more forward that Mascherano, because I can offer that bit extra to the team, and thats why I was picked.  I don't want to call Stevie undisciplined, but I imagine that its a delicate balance type thing that can only be acquired through experience, which he doesn't really have from back there.

One of the strange benefits of the system is that it gets both Yossi and Riera on the pitch (presumably) at the same time, which if they are both on top of their game, could pose quite a threat.
JoeTerp

Postby Greavesie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:36 pm

not a fan of this playing last sh!te, pressure's really on to stuff these on Monday
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:39 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
bigmick wrote:In answer to Joe and Fauxy, yes I think that Rafa may take the view that sitting Gerrard in front of the back four would offer more protection than Masherano. I think (and I might as well lay my cards on the table here) that if Gerrard played in Masherano's slot, he would be a better player. Not just better at what Gerrard would bring to the role as an add on, but better at what Masherano brings to the role as well. I think if Rafa played Gerrard as a holder, it would make it far more difficult to get either or both of Agbonlahor and Carew into the game.

sounds a little like cutting your nose to spite your face. You could say Gerrard is better than our current  . . . name your position if he really wanted to play there.

Gerrard is money on the business end, I don't think you can really ignore that.

I guess a proper analysis would have to involve measuring where the biggest difference is:  What Gerrard can bring to the holding role - What Mascherano can bring to the holding role   OR What Gerrard can bring to the AM/SS role - What Yossi can bring to the AM/SS role.

Then you mention specifically how he could stop Carew or Agbonlahor from getting into the game. Are these "horses for courses" tactics?  I thought you didn't like those.  If this is a one off "solution," don't you also have to take into account the "cost" in fluidity to our regular formation?

Then there is the practicality of how long has it been since Gerrard played like this for 90 minutes? I am sure in his mind, he would feel, I should probably get a bit more forward that Mascherano, because I can offer that bit extra to the team, and thats why I was picked.  I don't want to call Stevie undisciplined, but I imagine that its a delicate balance type thing that can only be acquired through experience, which he doesn't really have from back there.

One of the strange benefits of the system is that it gets both Yossi and Riera on the pitch (presumably) at the same time, which if they are both on top of their game, could pose quite a threat.

if you lose the midfield battle.. you lose the game.. simple as...

Its a home game, and quite honestly if we get outplayed and outrun in the middle like we were against Tottnham and in some of the preseason friendlies where Masch-Lucas played together it will be quite embarrasing.... All the "cost in terms of fluidity" and the "look at what Gerrard provides playing the AM role" stuff wont come into account if our 2 holding players in a 4-5-1 dont provide our attacking players with the balls... its not enough for Mascherano and Lucas to be tidy and good at the defensive end... you need more from the pair to make this particular setup work... What Alonso provided was much more than being just 'solid' and 'tidy' ... he started our attacking moves.... Mascherano and Lucas are yet to prove that between them, theyr able to do that...

I expect Lucas and Mascherano to remain in the middle of the park for this one though.. Benitez seems to be trying to give the partnership as much time to prove its worth... cant say i agree with it but i understand the logic in that... Hopefully it doesnt cost us in the long run... for this game though, i dont think it will given the players we'll be coming up against in that Villa side and the fact that they themselves dont seem to know how theyr supposed to be playing...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:39 am

In response to Joe, yes this would be a 'horses for courses' selection which I don't like, which is why I said earlier that if I was down to me I wouldn't change the team. I was actually trying to guess what Rafa will do and trying to provide some rationale if he did go down that route. Of course you have to balance up your net gain from moving Gerrard against your net loss from where he's come, which is why I'd leave it as it is. I was simply answering the couple of posters who couldn't beleive that Gerrard could possibly provide more cover than Masherano tot he young kid, I think he would.

Like I say though, I'd leave the team the same and I hope Rafa does too.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:16 am

Reina

Johnson                     Carragher           Sotoris              Insua

Kuyt                          Gerrard              Masch               Riera

Yossi

Torres

This is the team i'd go for , Carew and heskey are big big lads and will be a real handful in the air and we've been suspect at set pieces , i'd throw the big greek right in there and surely he'll handle himself better than ayala . Johnson pretty much will look to get forward as much and keep their winger and shorey pinned back and Riera  looks fit and should start. Gerrard back in the middle with masch . Yossi moved into the gerrard role behind torres . Villa have been poor as of late but they have a good team and enough to get a result against us if we are complacent , young will be need to subdued and if you stop him the supply to carew to heskey is cut off . Gab Abhong is all pace and no substance and i'm not to worried about him , going for a 4 - 0 win with a Johnson goal , torres with 2 and gerrard scoring as well
Last edited by Toffeehater on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:39 am

watched Rafa's press conference and he said that "I don't think so, it will be difficult" on El Greco playing, but it was a "he was training, but we will see" for Skrtel.
JoeTerp

Postby TheLad » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 am

Toffeehater wrote:Reina

Johnson                     Carragher           Sotoris              Insua

Kuyt                          Gerrard              Masch               Riera

Yossi

Torres

Very good team, the only changes I would make is to play Kyrgiakos instead of Sotoris in the middle of the defense.  :wwww
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:58 am

The guy just got here, let him at least train a week with the lads. Id stick with Ayala.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:30 am

young not playing in this game he has been given compassionate leave for his half brother who passed away ( so it says on bbc sports anyway )

this may help a little as this will slow down there attacking options some what
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games