LIVERPOOL vs ASTON VILLA - 24/08/09 - 8PM K.O

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby TheLad » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:04 am

2-1 to us, I would wait with the greek defender, and give Ayala another run, he wasn't bad at all against Stoke
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:33 am

Also Carew missed their europa league qualifier with a virus, leaving them with Heskey as a lone striker.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ken_job » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:11 pm

Play Kyrgiakos for 60 mins or so and hopefully the game will be decided, then brig on Ayala for the alst half hour or so and show him that he's not been forgotten about
ken_job

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:37 pm

I think the kid did enough, and I'd go with the same team. My guess is though that Riera will make his first appearance of the season, and I have a strange feeling masherano will be rested with Gerrard moving into central mid and benayoun playing off Torres. I think the manager will feel this protects the kid at the back a bit better, while still giving us a bit more thrust than having Masherano there.

It's always a lottery trying to predict what the manager will do, but that's my guess although as I say I'd keep it the same.

I also think we'll just about get home in a very tight match.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:05 pm

how exactly does dropping Mascherano protect an 18 y.o. CB better?

and Riera came on against stoke by the way, but I am guessing you meant start.
JoeTerp

Postby Greavesie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:07 pm

I've just put 3:1 on today, Gerrard 1st goal, I backed Torres to score 3 earlier in the thread but he's never scored against Villa so hopefully he'll get at least one on Monday night - just not the first one
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:35 pm

If you think we've got defensive problems, Villa are in an even worse state. Apparently Curtis Davies is struggling to be fit so they've only really got Cuellar.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Greavesie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:49 pm

stmichael wrote:If you think we've got defensive problems, Villa are in an even worse state. Apparently Curtis Davies is struggling to be fit so they've only really got Cuellar.

hmm no defence and only Heskey up front...I think I've put the wrong bet on...
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Fauxy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:25 pm

bigmick wrote:I think the kid did enough, and I'd go with the same team. My guess is though that Riera will make his first appearance of the season, and I have a strange feeling masherano will be rested with Gerrard moving into central mid and benayoun playing off Torres. I think the manager will feel this protects the kid at the back a bit better, while still giving us a bit more thrust than having Masherano there.

It's always a lottery trying to predict what the manager will do, but that's my guess although as I say I'd keep it the same.

I also think we'll just about get home in a very tight match.

So you think that Rafa thinks that not playing mascherano would give Ayala more safety  ???
Fauxy

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:46 pm

stmichael wrote:If you think we've got defensive problems, Villa are in an even worse state. Apparently Curtis Davies is struggling to be fit so they've only really got Cuellar.

Davies was just saying today how villa need to keep torres shut down , i think he will make it . He's a good defender davies and if he doesn't start , big loss for villa
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Fabiomenal 1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:15 pm

Liverpool has some injured players but fortunately the begin of the season is soft. To beat Stoke City or this Aston Villa neither Aquilani nor Skrtel aren't necessary. I think Rafa will opt for the same line up of the match against the Potters and will approach the game in the same way. Reds will have to be offensive so long as they'll play at Anfield and Aston Villa is a team in confusion. Yes, Villains have been in difficult since the last spell of the 2008-2009 season. Now they're a weak team, they're struggling to find a smooth playsystem! I'm sure will be a good weekend for us :cool: .
The Fabiomenal 1

Postby TheLad » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:25 pm

The Fabiomenal 1 wrote:I'm sure will be a good weekend for us :cool: .

It would be even better if we would play, but unfortunatly we play on monday.  :D
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:31 am

Somewhat surprisingly, I've read from a lot of Villa fans who aren't happy with the situation over there. The club is highly leveraged, they have a stingy owner who seemingly won't fork out to enable consolidation - let alone anything further than that, a manager who doesn't know his best team - 4-4-2 or 4-5-1? - and who apparently has some core weaknesses that, amongst other things, will prevent them from ultimately staking a place in the top four - expectation levels are high. There are O'neill-ites who think despite recent poor form (ever since February) believe that under somewhat difficult financial circumstances he's the best man for the job, and so deserves the fans' time and support. There are also a number of O'neill detractors; many in fact who have questioned his managerial nouse: some don't like his fetish for British players, others think 'moving Milner to RB when the game was there to be won' was a baffling decision, amongst others. At times, it reminded a bit of this place.

My personal view is that he's an excellent manager and I think any suggestions that he isn't the right man for the job, at this stage, are frankly ridiculous. For obvious reasons as well.
LFC2007

Postby The Fabiomenal 1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:37 am

TheLad wrote:
The Fabiomenal 1 wrote:I'm sure will be a good weekend for us :cool: .

It would be even better if we would play, but unfortunatly we play on monday.  :D

Sorry :D! I'll get used to English habits, don't worry, monday night included. I'm sure Serie A will become your copy soon  :) .
Last edited by The Fabiomenal 1 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Fabiomenal 1

Postby Effes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Bet 365:

Liverpool 4-9  Draw 16-5  Villa 7-1
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games