chelsea fc v liverpool fc

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:43 pm

the game could have been over at half time but credit to the lads for the second.
suso was the game changer for us when he came on but before that we were sloppy and never looked like getting anything from the game.
we could have snatched the win at the end also, but nonetheless an excellent point gained.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Credit to the team for turning it around. It was a new system and they done well. Credit to Rogers though for changing things up. Unbeaten in 5/6 now?

If only FSG had not messed about in the summer we could have well been pushing for a few places higher this season. We had something like 60% possession at times, with the right players we could have put them to the sword. I think now it's a case of everyone waiting with baited breath to see what happens in January.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:07 pm

This was our 200th draw in the Premier League :)
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:08 pm

One thing we need to iron out against the top team is misplaced passes and sloppiness in possession. I also think we need more urgency in attack, we ping the ball around in our own half far too much and all this does is allow the opposition to re-group and get into position ready to pounce on our loss of possession. We also miss Lucas and more importantly we miss someone like Alonso in midfield and we could do with an Aimar type player in midfield. We also lack men in the box when we break forward and we need another goal threat up front with Suarez as I think it's unfair as he is virtually carrying us through matches single-handedly, it's not on and it's not very fair.

I'm delighted with Rodgers quickness in dealing with situation, he doesn't wait until half-way through the second-half to ring changes, he reacts to things as they happen and all credit to him, that's a mark of a great manager. Too many times last season Kenny didn't do this and I think it cost us a lot of points, particularly in the latter half of the season.

Today has just further strengthened my belief that Rodgers is the right man to take us forward.
Boxscarf

Postby RedHands » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:33 pm

I don't think we played particularly well today (shocking in the first half, improved in the second), but still got a point. Chelsk should have put the game away before halftime with Oscar and Juan Mata missing easy chances.

My MoM was Brad Jones- nothing he could do about the goal, but he had several smart saves and looked very assured on crosses.

Enrique is a strange player. He has the ability to make key passes, but also gives the ball away a lot.

Suarez- what can you say? He's on fire at the moment. I transferred him off my fantasy team just before the everton game (how stupid of me!)

I hate to beat a dead horse, but could Carrol have not helped us in a game like this (or away vs. Everton?)? We save 7m$ per year in wages, but I think having him for tricky away fixtures vs. physical teams would more than cover that. I know BR thought we would replace him, but could he not forsee that teams would have us over a barrel that close to the transfer window knowing we needed a striker?

Torres' first touch is awful. We screwed Chelsea on that deal worse than we got screwed on the Carol deal.

Good result though! Hopefully we can start turning these draws into wins soon
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby dundreamin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Look at Rodgers signings they are *****. Allen overhyped. Borini your having a laugh
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:02 pm

we had to dig deep to get something out of the game, but we showed a lot of character and finished the game the stronger side.
with 10 minutes to go i thought we were going to win it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:03 pm

dundreamin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:46 pm wrote:Look at Rodgers signings they are *****. Allen overhyped. Borini your having a laugh

Joe Allen is a good player, Fabio Borini isn't a bad player either and Assaidi is a good, technical footballer. Yes there are better players in the World than those three individuals, but they are not poor signings by any stretch of the imagination. I'd say signing Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen are what constitutes poor signings. You clearly have an axe-to-grind with Rodgers, so even if he signed Ganso, Ter-Stegen and Ogbonna and you'd still be complaining about his signings being poor.
Boxscarf

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:59 am

Both teams were there for the taking, Howard Webb (who I thought reffed this quite well, well he would wouldn't he, he wouldn't want to help Chelsea get close to his best mate Fergie & co  :D ), could have taken all three points such was both team's lack of determination.

We started the first half with Rodgers philosophy, "death by football" which actually was much more akin to 'self inflicted death by boredom'. Again in the first half we were boring, predictable and slow. Our lads couldn't even get our best player into the game in the first half with this game plan; and seeing as we're heavily reliant on him it was poor to see Suarez scrapping for things at best.

The second half, which saw us much more of a threat on the counter attack, with direct passing and high tempo isn't Rodgers typical philosophy but this looked better for our team.

I though Allen had another mare for the best part of this game, Enrique while an absolute rock defensively is one brainless numbskull once he ventures over the half way line. How many times was he caught offside?

I can see why, in previous games Rodgers opted to play Gerrard deeper rather than Sahin (even though I've advocated the swap). Allen is light weight enough, never mind having Sahin next to him, we look very  soft in there at times with those two.

Sterling was good. And it was good to see our second best player and most consistent performer this season Johnson back.

I think Rodgers needs to take stock of this philosophy of his. I agree he should persist with it but he does need to change the dynamics from time to time as attacking quickly on the break seems to play to individual strengths more.

Shame really we didn't get all the points, Chelsea never got out of second gear and there was a real chance there to go at them more.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:46 am

RedHands » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:33 pm wrote:I don't think we played particularly well today (shocking in the first half, improved in the second), but still got a point. Chelsk should have put the game away before halftime with Oscar and Juan Mata missing easy chances.

My MoM was Brad Jones- nothing he could do about the goal, but he had several smart saves and looked very assured on crosses.

Enrique is a strange player. He has the ability to make key passes, but also gives the ball away a lot.

Suarez- what can you say? He's on fire at the moment. I transferred him off my fantasy team just before the everton game (how stupid of me!)

I hate to beat a dead horse, but could Carrol have not helped us in a game like this (or away vs. Everton?)? We save 7m$ per year in wages, but I think having him for tricky away fixtures vs. physical teams would more than cover that. I know BR thought we would replace him, but could he not forsee that teams would have us over a barrel that close to the transfer window knowing we needed a striker?

Torres' first touch is awful. We screwed Chelsea on that deal worse than we got screwed on the Carol deal.

Good result though! Hopefully we can start turning these draws into wins soon

You are flogging a dead horse, I can't see Carrol coming back, he will probably go to Newcastle and he's not exactly banging them in for West Ham is he, Nolan 6, Carrol 0
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:40 am

Kenny Kan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:59 am wrote:Both teams were there for the taking, Howard Webb (who I thought reffed this quite well, well he would wouldn't he, he wouldn't want to help Chelsea get close to his best mate Fergie & co  :D ), could have taken all three points such was both team's lack of determination.

We started the first half with Rodgers philosophy, "death by football" which actually was much more akin to 'self inflicted death by boredom'. Again in the first half we were boring, predictable and slow. Our lads couldn't even get our best player into the game in the first half with this game plan; and seeing as we're heavily reliant on him it was poor to see Suarez scrapping for things at best.

The second half, which saw us much more of a threat on the counter attack, with direct passing and high tempo isn't Rodgers typical philosophy but this looked better for our team.

I though Allen had another mare for the best part of this game, Enrique while an absolute rock defensively is one brainless numbskull once he ventures over the half way line. How many times was he caught offside?

I can see why, in previous games Rodgers opted to play Gerrard deeper rather than Sahin (even though I've advocated the swap). Allen is light weight enough, never mind having Sahin next to him, we look very  soft in there at times with those two.

Sterling was good. And it was good to see our second best player and most consistent performer this season Johnson back.

I think Rodgers needs to take stock of this philosophy of his. I agree he should persist with it but he does need to change the dynamics from time to time as attacking quickly on the break seems to play to individual strengths more.

Shame really we didn't get all the points, Chelsea never got out of second gear and there was a real chance there to go at them more.

Thanks for than Bam, midnight KO here so didnt see it myself.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:46 am

Chelsea dominated us for most of the 1st half. But again credit to Brendan for making the changes he made and fantastic to get a point out of it and really could feel gutted about not getting all 3.

With Tottenham losing yesterday and Newcastle we slowly catching teams up and a draw away at Chelsea is fantastic especially as we have now played the likes of Man utd Man city Chelsea
Everton Newcastle Arsenal.

and still have the likes of Southampton and QPR to play.

I have said it for a long time we arent out of the race for top 4 especially as Tottenham play Arsenal next week. Just have to get the 3 points Vs Wigan

A quick question are we the most offside team in the league ??

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:26 am

Very happy with away draw there certainly beats gettting a 5-0 flogging

Jones who was bought as understudy for a  understudy is proving quite  the value for his price, not to mention the motivational factor for Pepe

WIth all focus on our youth it was good to see old warhorse Carra in the thick of things and a couple of delightful passes by Stevie G

Biggest enigma for me is Enrique, some great touches one moment butterfeet the next

Still long hard road ahead but not as bad some people seem to think it is

walk on
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:45 am

LFC1990 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:46 am wrote:Chelsea dominated us for most of the 1st half. But again credit to Brendan for making the changes he made and fantastic to get a point out of it and really could feel gutted about not getting all 3.

With Tottenham losing yesterday and Newcastle we slowly catching teams up and a draw away at Chelsea is fantastic especially as we have now played the likes of Man utd Man city Chelsea
Everton Newcastle Arsenal.

and still have the likes of Southampton and QPR to play.

I have said it for a long time we arent out of the race for top 4 especially as Tottenham play Arsenal next week. Just have to get the 3 points Vs Wigan

A quick question are we the most offside team in the league ??

I think the half time stats showed Liverpool to have 63% of the possession so I don't understand why you think Chelsea dominated the first half. I admit they were more dangerous in possession but I fail to agree that they were the dominant team.

Great to see the attacking attitude of the team after we scored. A couple of players in January could make a massive difference. There are some very positive signs coming through.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:55 am

Boxscarf » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:03 pm wrote:
dundreamin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:46 pm wrote:Look at Rodgers signings they are *****. Allen overhyped. Borini your having a laugh

Joe Allen is a good player, Fabio Borini isn't a bad player either and Assaidi is a good, technical footballer. Yes there are better players in the World than those three individuals, but they are not poor signings by any stretch of the imagination. I'd say signing Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen are what constitutes poor signings. You clearly have an axe-to-grind with Rodgers, so even if he signed Ganso, Ter-Stegen and Ogbonna and you'd still be complaining about his signings being poor.

I hate to say this but £30m on Allen and Borini is comparable with £35m for Henderson and Downing who last season looked terrible and can't even get a game now.

I'm no fan of Shearer but Allen's performance against Chelsea yesterday exemplifies everything he was saying recently on MOTD. Not only did Allen give the ball away wastefully on a number of occasions he also lost possession by being far to slow in vital areas.His passing is ultra cautious. It is either five yards sideways or five yards backwards. With passing like that anybody could achieve his pass conversion figures. Lets face it for a few million more we bought Suarez and in terms of quality the two players should not really be on the same pitch. I don't know if Joe is going through a bad spell of form because if he isn't I'm really struggling to see what BR finds so impressive about him. Joe even bottled a really good chance to have a shot on goal and opted for a safe and useless pass. Sorry but I'm getting more disillusioned with the lad by the game.

As for Borini was anybody really that bothered when he suffered a relatively long term injury from a playing point of view. He has shown to be very average and lightweight when he was playing on a regular basis.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext