DEBRECEN VS LIVERPOOL - Time to do a "bermenstein"

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:15 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
s@int wrote:I said I would rather still be in the CL than win the Europa cup. I don't think that is dismissing it? Ask any of the teams in the Europa cup which competition they would rather be in ....

A cup is a cup even a little one is better than nothing, but its not going to be at the top of my wish list.

Like the League cup its importance has diminished with the growth of the CL. Now we have 4 teams that qualify for the CL, so its no longer seen as a "major" achievement to qualify for the UEFA/Europa cup or even to win it.

As I said before its shiny and we are in it so we may as well win it. Which is more or less how I feel about it. A good day out for the fans and we finally get a trophy...... its not all bad (as long as we dont get knocked out) 

TBH I don't think we can be too choosy what cups we win when we have won nothing for three years.

yep agree - i dont think anyone is wanting us to win it over still being in the CL . I think every single person would rather still be in the CL but we are out now and we have to do a bit of damage limitation - winning fa cup/europa cup would help .

I think my order of importance now would be FA CUP, Top Four and then the Europa cup.

I know thats probably different than our owners etc due to the money implications , but I would like a cup.
account deleted by request

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:16 pm

s@int wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
s@int wrote:I said I would rather still be in the CL than win the Europa cup. I don't think that is dismissing it? Ask any of the teams in the Europa cup which competition they would rather be in ....

A cup is a cup even a little one is better than nothing, but its not going to be at the top of my wish list.

Like the League cup its importance has diminished with the growth of the CL. Now we have 4 teams that qualify for the CL, so its no longer seen as a "major" achievement to qualify for the UEFA/Europa cup or even to win it.

As I said before its shiny and we are in it so we may as well win it. Which is more or less how I feel about it. A good day out for the fans and we finally get a trophy...... its not all bad (as long as we dont get knocked out) 

TBH I don't think we can be too choosy what cups we win when we have won nothing for three years.

yep agree - i dont think anyone is wanting us to win it over still being in the CL . I think every single person would rather still be in the CL but we are out now and we have to do a bit of damage limitation - winning fa cup/europa cup would help .

I think my order of importance now would be FA CUP, Top Four and then the Europa cup.

I know thats probably different than our owners etc due to the money implications , but I would like a cup.

I think for me it is top 4 then europa then FA Cup - Top 4 is crucial also for getting new players as well as money , not much to choose between FA Cup and Europa Cup but their is some big teams in the Europa Cup still
Benny The Noon

Postby heimdall » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:17 pm

s@int wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:

so you don't think guaranteeing the money from finsihing 4th is the most important then?

WE HAVE TO FINISH 4th otherwise the club is fecked
heimdall

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:21 pm

No its not . No matter what Sky or the media say .
Benny The Noon

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:22 pm

heimdall wrote:
s@int wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:

so you don't think guaranteeing the money from finsihing 4th is the most important then?

WE HAVE TO FINISH 4th otherwise the club is fecked

I am a little torn over the top four place. If we don't get it maybe it will be the catalyst to removing our owners, but then again it may just mean no money for transfers, sale of players and the begining of the spiral downwards.

The Fa cup meanwhile would mean a fantastic time of build up anticipation and ecstacy .... take your pick  :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Yep thats what i think saint - it could be a reason for them to jump ship .
Benny The Noon

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:27 pm

Maybe its just me but while I don't place the Europa in the same category as the Super cup, or the World Club Championship, I don't think its in the same category as the FA cup either (money aside)

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:30 pm

I dont think prestige wise it is in the same category - its still a massive domestic cup to win - the most famous in the world and the build up to the day etc is something everyone should take part in , with the Europa cup i think i just look at the money which would help us greatly and the teams still their to win and it adds another trophy to our list - the first ever winners of it .
Benny The Noon

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:33 pm

I think a lot of the players would like to win something with us too. We only have 3 players that have won anything with us.

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:40 pm

Oh no doubt - every player would cherish a medal very much weather its fa cup or europa cup .
Benny The Noon

Postby Madmax » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:10 pm

Europa league is for the rejects.. :D  Feck that i think we should concentrate on claiming 4th spot for the league and wining the FA cup. As for the europa league field our fringes.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:27 pm

Top 4 has got to be #1.

But I think the road to winning the EL is going to be tougher than winning the FA Cup. Its likely that we will face some really bad teams along the way in the FA cup, whereas that will not happen in the EL.  In the FA Cup we could face Chelsea, Manchester, or Arsenal, but its likely we would only face one or two of them, possibly none. The EL would be fairly tough opposition for 4 rounds of 2 legged affairs plus a final.

I think the two legged nature of the EL  gives us a good chance of winning.
JoeTerp

Postby Owzat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:06 pm

stmichael wrote:
Owzat wrote:What is worst about last night's result is not only going out so badly and so early, but suffering the ignomony of dropping into the drop out cup and having that as another potential distraction that could stop us getting back into the CL next season.

Not you aswell.

Yeah lets just fob it off now we're in it hey? We need to win something ffs.

You don't get a CL place for winning the Europa League/UEFA Cup, we want to win the Premiership and not some two bit cup. I'd rather we won the FA Cup, but the bottom line is if we start trying to win a bit of silverware to save Rafa's skin then we may well drop into 5th or worse and that is a shambles as we'd miss out bigtime on £££££. Just imagine the annoyance the owners must have at the lost money through this season's disaster without missing out next season.

The only way Rafa is going to win the league is with more £££££, getting knocked out of the CL and not even getting into it next season is one way to ensure less ££££££££ to spend not more. He could sell off squad players, but that wouldn't fetch much.

Of course the other aspect is a cup win could save Rafa's neck like it did Houllier's, at least offer a temporary reprieve, and perhaps equal another season or more without a league title. Our one saving grace is Chelsea look clear favourites to win the league at the moment with Arsenal looking as likely as the mancs do right now. People b|tch about a lack of funds for Rafa, but let's look at him compared to "big spender" Wenger

09/10

Champions League : Arsenal through (unbeaten), Liverpool out
Carling Cup : Arsenal through, Liverpool out
Premiership : Arsenal eight points off the lead with a game in hand, Liverpool 13 points off the lead

Considering many mock Arsenal's quality and strength in depth they are right where we should be. I want trophies, but not at the expense of a league title. We won't win the league this season, but we will continue to slump in the league if we have Rafa doing his usual European juggling act. Lost money, potential loss of star players and we might struggle to attract top players, not that we've exactly been shopping at the top clubs in Europe that much recently, but would Aquilani have come to a side where we are in the league and Europe?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:13 pm

Madmax wrote:Europa league is for the rejects.. :D  Feck that i think we should concentrate on claiming 4th spot for the league and wining the FA cup. As for the europa league field our fringes.

The other danger is we try to win the cup and fail, it isn't a given that if we try we will win - the old spudz motto 'audere est facere' (to try is to do)

We could get sidetracked with a European QF or semi and not actually win it while suffering setbacks in the league. I say it's better to go out early than go on a long run and still end up trophyless. There are 12 groups in the second European competition so that means the top two in each (24 teams) are joined by the CL dropouts and we start at a last 32 stage which is NINE games to win it on top of six already played. Don't you have to win like just six rounds to win the FA Cup?!?

What annoys me is we entered this season with some confidence of mounting a title challenge and we've looked like nothing better than mediocre also-rans. Celebrating a poxy trophy success would just make us more laughing stocks than we are for such a big fall in both the league and Europe.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:43 am

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games