Chelsea vs Liverpool 13/08 16:30 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Penguins » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:00 pm

Didn't expect a win with such a thin squad. Gomez has NEVER been good enough to start for us and all our midfielders have one thing in their heads....and it does not include defending. Going to ship many goals this season....
And Klopp having a dig at Chelsea for getting the players their manager wants is for me a HUGE dig at the owners at LFC...
If they had backed him the club would have a couple of more league titles. But as always FSG is garbage and won't ever invest in the club. Only hope is if someone is sold for a large sum of money...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:18 pm

The team is set up to defend as a unit. The press from the front lads followed up by the midfield closing the spaces and defence clearing up the loose balls. We just aren't as effective as we once where with the players we had then.

We should have went for that Gvardiol lad as might be a while before someone like that is available again. It's players like this we need to become challengers again imo. If we really have that money for Caiceido on top of what was already spent then there is no excuses to not bring in a few players now.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:57 pm

Part of me thinks the reason we're not tempting players is the lack of CL next season. And a lot of that goes back to not loosening the purse strings in recent seasons by the owners. Gvardiol, Caicedo, Tonali, Doku, and a whole host of others are going where the CL footie will be played. A Thursday night in Yerevan is not where these lads want to be, let's face it.
If we get anyone in now will be a huge surprise. Certainly not who we should be getting. Either they're not available or already snapped up
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby redshade » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:10 pm

Draw a fair result, we started off well for about 20-30 mins but then looked average. New lads done okay but we did make it easy for Chelsea. Not a bad result but plenty work ahead of us.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Tommy Smith » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:06 pm

A luck draw against an average Chelsea team but has potential, and cannot say that Klopp's team has a great potential, he has a chronic defensive major problems, and he had 16 months to resolve it! And today some o the fans are here still surprised by the team failure to keep a clean sheet! It is an ongoing problem.

The traditional LFC of passing game has gone, now we have 4 defenders and 6 forwards, run with the ball of long balls tactics, the team has only managed one shoot at target!
Gakpo waste of time, Trent in floating dream position, he had only to watch Chelsea scorer while he was dreaming if he is a defender or midfielder, as for the star player £400K a week Salah, whereas, the young Chelsea defender had Salah in his pocket until that idiot showed his antic.

The problem of LFC is the manager, until the club has resolved that issue, I am afraid we will see more setbacks and disappointment throughout the whole season.
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby Reg » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:36 pm

Interesting points from Tommy for once, lets see how the next few games pan out to see if the Liverpool high press, high speed style has indeed died and what replaces it. The trouble with replacing so many players at once is that what was once a natural style has become something to be relearnt. Not really sure that Elliot and Jones ever were particularly good at high press anyway?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:49 pm

I think we will gradually see a return to a faster more effective press as the games come. Once we get some proper stability in front of the back 4 we will push harder.  I do expect to see a different approach against Bournemouth than yesterday. I never thought we would go flat at them knowing we would leave plenty of gaps. Last thing we needed was a hammering opening day and we might look back on it as a good point at the end. 1.1 at the bridge isn't a bad result when you didn't play well.

Only thing I'd agree with TS is about the imbalance. Szob, Mac, Elliot, Jones and Thiago are not defensive minded players. What Caiceido and Lavia would have brought is the ability to cover the ground required at the pace needed. Mac and Szob are good signings but 2 more in with similar attributes to the above and we would be back in business.

I think replacing a few players can be like bringing in a new manager. It creates a buzz and a sign of ambition that will feed down to the rest. We had gone stale and especially in the midfield so needed change.  We just haven't reacted quick enough to that change.  The buzz that was about us when we signed the 2 lads was fantastic because we still had the Saudi 2 backing them up. That same buzz would have been in the team also and now it's gone just like it is from the fanbase.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games