Youth development.... - reserve/youth team discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:55 pm

I think it's clear that there is little English youth talent at Liverpool, you only have to take a look at the England U-21 side to see that the top 4 in English football aren't producing the crop of talent they have in been in years gone by.

Also whoever said you can't play Spearing because it'll mean taking the place of a central midfielder, I'd rather see Spearing's name on the team sheet than Sissoko. Or even play Spearing at right back and bed him as the replacement for Finnan, as Spearing is an half decent right back as well as central midfielder.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:03 pm

JohnBull wrote:Next week will show if Raffa has got to the Wenger stage.

The Gunners have pulled out ALL the stops to get the wonder kid Pablo Sarabia from Real and are hoping to sign the 15 year old next wednesday. They've offered his whole family a move to London with new houses and the lot.

Raffa has made the right moves already to undermine this as the kid is best mates with Gerado Bruna and Daniel Pacheco (already here !). The stories coming from Spain favour the Gunners at the moment and this youngster is described as the best ever.

It will be interesting to watch who wins the tug-of-war over this lad just hope it is us and this prospect becomes nearly as good as the adverts.

Agree that we should be using more of our "reserves" rather than the average first teamers.

Not really sure how the outcome of that dictates whether Benitez is as good or bad as Wenger.

Bruna is Madrids answer to Messi, they no doubt have a version of Krkic and Dos Santos. It's as much about keeping up with the jones' as anything else.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JohnBull » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:13 pm

puroresu wrote:These spanish clubs must be really annoyed with the fact that clubs from england can just come and take there kids by offering money, houses etc.

It's accepted now by the supporters.

Wasn't so long ago that our best were dissappearing into La Liga or some other league every year.

The thing Wenger's got going for him is the fact that his youngsters are coming through into the first team quicker than anyone elses.

Just saw your post St M - This 15 year old is being put into a different class than all the other kids. I know we've heard it all before but talking to my mates over there, who've seen this lad, he does appear to be, potentially, the next "complete" player.  Even at his age, this is going to be a BIG signing for someone.
Last edited by JohnBull on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:18 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I think it's clear that there is little English youth talent at Liverpool, you only have to take a look at the England U-21 side to see that the top 4 in English football aren't producing the crop of talent they have in been in years gone by.

Also whoever said you can't play Spearing because it'll mean taking the place of a central midfielder, I'd rather see Spearing's name on the team sheet than Sissoko. Or even play Spearing at right back and bed him as the replacement for Finnan, as Spearing is an half decent right back as well as central midfielder.

I never said you CANT pick spearing, I am just saying that for Rafa to pick him it means he is picking him over all of those people. And I agree that I would too rather see Spearing in the team than momo.  And I think Stephen Darby would take offense to that comment about him playing at Right Back.  Not sure if Spearing has ever played there, I know he was a centre half for the U-18s, but he is far to short to play there at the senior level.  I think what hurts Jay's chances the most is that Mascherano is only 23.
JoeTerp

Postby burjennio » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:24 pm

JohnBull Posted on Nov. 02 2007,13:13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (puroresu @ Nov. 02 2007,12:52)
These spanish clubs must be really annoyed with the fact that clubs from england can just come and take there kids by offering money, houses etc.

It's accepted now by the supporters.

Wasn't so long ago that our best were dissappearing into La Liga or some other league every year.

The thing Wenger's got going for him is the fact that his youngsters are coming through into the first team quicker than anyone elses.

Just saw your post St M - This 15 year old is being put into a different class than all the other kids. I know we've heard it all before but talking to my mates over there, who've seen this lad, he does appear to be, potentially, the next "complete" player.  Even at his age, this is going to be a BIG signing for someone.

Please tell me when La Ligo stole all the best British talent, I must have missed it
burjennio

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:32 pm

HEard about this kid as well Bully, and from what I have heard he is already good enough for a first team start.

On Rafa, he is building a dynasty, some of the young players he has brought in will make it, some wont, but we now have that quality in the youngsters that was, like it or not, sadly lacking for the last few years.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:34 pm

European clubs do not look at england for teenagers,
puroresu

Postby duk » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:44 pm

What are peoples thoughts on Guthrie? i honestly thought he would be the next to make the grade but part of me isn't so sure anymore
duk

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:21 pm

duk wrote:What are peoples thoughts on Guthrie? i honestly thought he would be the next to make the grade but part of me isn't so sure anymore

He'd probably have a decent chance of making it in a lower premiership side but he's got no chance at Liverpool because central midfield is the one area in which we are particularly strong.

Paul Anderson and Adam Hammill on the other hand have got what it takes to enter our first team eventually imo. Quality youngsters who are getting decent experience and are hardening up by being out on loan at this stage.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:03 pm

stmichael wrote:
duk wrote:What are peoples thoughts on Guthrie? i honestly thought he would be the next to make the grade but part of me isn't so sure anymore

He'd probably have a decent chance of making it in a lower premiership side but he's got no chance at Liverpool because central midfield is the one area in which we are particularly strong.

Paul Anderson and Adam Hammill on the other hand have got what it takes to enter our first team eventually imo. Quality youngsters who are getting decent experience and are hardening up by being out on loan at this stage.

Pennant has made the right wing his own, dispite his current injury which means either Benayoun or Gerrard on the right wing, so I can't see Anderson being a regurlar for at least 3 or 4 years. As for Hammill on the left I think Babel is 1st choice left winger being a similar age, so again he may not be a regurlar at Anfield.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:28 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
stmichael wrote:

Pennant has made the right wing his own, dispite his current injury which means either Benayoun or Gerrard on the right wing, so I can't see Anderson being a regurlar for at least 3 or 4 years. As for Hammill on the left I think Babel is 1st choice left winger being a similar age, so again he may not be a regurlar at Anfield.

that just backs up my point.

these youngsters are sent out on loan whilst the people who are playing in their positions in the first team are playing out of position anyway. what message does that send out?

neither benayoun, gerrard or babel are wingers. i'd rather have hammill playing wide left than babel. he's a striker anyday of the week.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby peterc1992 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:28 pm

Big Niall wrote:1 getting a regular spot every year would be good.

I think Wenger is the master at this and has been since he signed a young unknown for 500k called Anelka.

LFC haven't really done much since SG - Souness and EVans brought through a good few, Houllier and Rafa have brought none despite potential of pongolle,letellec,full back with long name (began with "o" - can't think of it), mellor etc

we still got le tallec dont we,pongolle has gone of to be the main striker for recreativo and mellor could have been good if he never got them injuries!~
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:35 pm

Talking about youth developement i went to watch my nephew play for Wrexham under15 a while back and guess who was on the line?. Rick Parry his son plays for the academy at Wrexham . Anyway after taking to a few people on the line it tuns out that Liverpool have made major investments in the Wrexham academy hoping to get them as a feeder club for us any good kids coming through will be sent to Liverpool . Most of the kids there were scousers anyway . To confirm if this was true i spoke to a good friend of mine Who works at the Liverpool Academy and he said so far Liverpool have given Wrexham money for new training facilities for the academy and are gonna be inveating heavily a lot more..

By the way my nephew has just been selected to play for the school boys under 15 Good player but a blue
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:40 pm

stmichael wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
stmichael wrote:

that just backs up my point.

these youngsters are sent out on loan whilst the people who are playing in their positions in the first team are playing out of position anyway. what message does that send out?

neither benayoun, gerrard or babel are wingers. i'd rather have hammill playing wide left than babel. he's a striker anyday of the week.

Couldn't agree more, but I don't see it happening. At the start of next season (little ahead i know) I see Hammill just getting shipped out for another season loan before a lower league club finally buy him. Rather than give him a go and see if he can cut it at this level.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby mungi » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:43 pm

i think we have to understand that wenger didint pull these kids out of no where. he had at least 5 years to build them up and teach them how to play within his system. i think rafa is trying to do that and we wot see the results for another 4 years. dont forget the likes of masherano, agger, torres, babel, momo r around the same age as the :censored: ppl
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion