When gerrard comes back.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Calum » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 am

stmichael wrote:
Calum wrote:For me, Gerrard plays best in the centre of midfield, and not directly behind the striker.

And you base this on what exactly?

This always got dragged out when we had Mascherano and Lucas were playing together central as neither were particularly creative. Now with Mereiles in the side I don't see how it's an issue. Him and Lucas should be in the centre for the majority of games from now on.

Let Gerrard roam at will and score and make goals. Just look at the Napoli game as a prime exemple. He was the furthest player forward and effected the game in a positive sense.

Believe it not, I base it on from what I've seen on the park. In games when Gerrard's been played further forward, he's either been almost a passenger in the game or has to keep coming back for the ball. He contributes much more from being deeper, and not behind the striker.
Calum

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:34 am

Calum wrote:
stmichael wrote:
Calum wrote:For me, Gerrard plays best in the centre of midfield, and not directly behind the striker.

This always got dragged out when we had Mascherano and Lucas were playing together central as neither were particularly creative. Now with Mereiles in the side I don't see how it's an issue. Him and Lucas should be in the centre for the majority of games from now on.

Let Gerrard roam at will and score and make goals. Just look at the Napoli game as a prime exemple. He was the furthest player forward and effected the game in a positive sense.

Believe it not, I base it on from what I've seen on the park. In games when Gerrard's been played further forward, he's either been almost a passenger in the game or has to keep coming back for the ball. He contributes much more from being deeper, and not behind the striker.

watch the napoli home game again and come back and say that. those 45 minutes were the proof if ever of how gerrard should be used.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Waldo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:58 am

I would like to see Roy try a 3-5-2 formation with Gerrard, Lucas and Meireles in CM, Johnson on the right, and Kuyt supporting Torres. Not sure about the left hand side and would probably favour a fully fit Aurelio over Jovanovic!!
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby Calum » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:21 pm

stmichael wrote:
Calum wrote:
stmichael wrote:

watch the napoli home game again and come back and say that. those 45 minutes were the proof if ever of how gerrard should be used.

I don't need to watch it again. Watch other games in the season when he's played in that position and we've been beaten. Just because he did well against Napoli doesn't mean he will play as well against superior opposition.
Calum

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Calum wrote:Watch other games in the season when he's played in that position and we've been beaten. Just because he did well against Napoli doesn't mean he will play as well against superior opposition.

That was due to the general style of play earlier in the season. Bloody hell Messi would have looked completely average in out side earlier this season as we were so poor and sat so deep it was embarassing.

The passing has been a hell of a lot more incisive in recent games and the movement much better all round. We are playing a bit higher up the pitch and our shape has been better. Gerrard was never going to thrive because we seemed to have no plan for how to transfer the ball forward, that's not the case now with Lucas and Mereiles showing a lot of promise as a partnership. This better style of play has also resulted in Maxi finding his best form which is hardly surprising.

Not to mention that with Carragher out the side now we're already seeing us playing the ball from back to front through midfield more instead of hoofing it aimlessly.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Calum » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Your original question to me was what exactly did I base my opinion of Gerrard's best position on. Well, you just answered it in your last post.
Calum

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Waldo wrote:I would like to see Roy try a 3-5-2 formation with Gerrard, Lucas and Meireles in CM, Johnson on the right, and Kuyt supporting Torres. Not sure about the left hand side and would probably favour a fully fit Aurelio over Jovanovic!!

3-5-2 has never ever worked in this country ever. maybe in italy but not over here.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:59 pm

is Gerrard in contention for the newcastle game?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite25 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:37 pm

If it's 4-4-2 then same as the Villa game but swap babbel & ngog for stevie and nando. Yes both lads played well on monday but Stevie n Nando are on another planet to those two.

Personally though i'd love to see

Pepe

Johnson  Kelly   Agger    Aurelio

Lucas

Stevie        Merelles

Maxi

Ngog     Nando

Subs - Jones, Carra, Soto, Pacheco, Cole, Babel, Suso (for a few little cameos in the hole)

Width comes from the full backs with Lucas dropping in if either is pushed up & also Stevie & Raul have the work rate to help out in the wide areas defensively.

Going forward it's all interchangable and fluid with lots of movement and flair.

Never see it in my life time though!!! :p
Shankly on boardroom meetings - 'At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.'

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9349/kkwt.jpg
Kopite25

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:12 pm

rocky29 wrote:
Zidane wrote:When Gerrard comes back he better not break up our central pairing! :angry:

he needs to go on the right wing and get some fecking crosses in put jova on the left. It seemed like the players had something to prove 2nite with the senior players missing.

Jovanovic is sh!t, end of.

He doesn't even warrant a place on the bench. He is gash.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:22 pm

metalhead wrote:is Gerrard in contention for the newcastle game?

possibly, but even if he is i wouldn't start him. we can beat newcastle without him imo, especailly considering the state they're in.

here's an excellent article which goes into some detail and can be used in relevance to the gerrard debate:

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/12/03/introducing-the-central-winger/
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Red-er-Dare » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:11 am

Unfortunately for the David N'gog he'd have to make way for Gerrard's return IMHO. I'm not sold on the meireles/lucas combo being the saviour to our central midfield conundrum but it's worth giving the pair a chance, at least to really see one way or the other. I hope Hogdey drops Gerrard in behind Torres like he did at Wigan.

With the personel available I'd go with this against Newcastle in the hope it doesn't disrupt the team's momentum and go from there next week:

Reina

Johnson  Kelly   Soto   Aurelio

J.Cole  Meireles  Lucas    Maxi

Gerrard
                                           Torres

Cole slotting in is a bit of a dodgy one, Roy may opt for the defensive duties of the recently woeful Kuyt away to the barcodes but generally this is my side for, ''when Gerrard comes back''.
Red-er-Dare

Postby stmichael » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:27 am

I tend to agree that Ngog will inevitably be the fall guy. However on form he doesn't deserve to be dropped. Same for Mereiles, Lucas and Maxi. If you're looking at form, then as you say, Kuyt has to make way.

Anyway I've heard now that Gerrard won't be risked at the weekend so i'd expect the side to be unchanged. Gerrard will probably come back into the side next weekend against Fulham.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:46 pm

stmichael wrote:Anyway I've heard now that Gerrard won't be risked at the weekend so i'd expect the side to be unchanged. Gerrard will probably come back into the side next weekend against Fulham.

Don't you think Torres will slot in again instead of Babel though mate ???. Even though Babel did well against Villa I should really hope so.
JamCar05

Postby stmichael » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:47 pm

JamCar05 wrote:
stmichael wrote:Anyway I've heard now that Gerrard won't be risked at the weekend so i'd expect the side to be unchanged. Gerrard will probably come back into the side next weekend against Fulham.

Don't you think Torres will slot in again instead of Babel though mate ???. Even though Babel did well against Villa I should really hope so.

yeah sorry i meant to say one change, torres for babel obviously :idea  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion