Gerrard back in the middle?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:53 am

As we seem to be in this sluggish kind of form at the moment, and the team as a whole have been poor. I think it may be worth shifting Gerrard back to the center. This would mean resting Momo for a few games just to see if it can kick start us into gear. I dont mind Gerrard out wide, but I think he is more effective in the middle, and people will be quick to point out he scored 23 goals from right mid last season. But lets face it, at the moment he's doing nothing out there really.

My main thought to moving him back is, there simply would be more creativity in the midfield. Seen as our strikers are also stuggling for goals Gerrard would provide more of goal threat coming from a central position. He's more creative than Momo and will make things happen, so far this season nothings been happening really from midfield. I rate Momo as a  top class midfielder, he's very industrious and Xabi is the flamboyant dictator of the play and between them their very good at what they do, but they dont really pose a threat going forwards. Even if this is just a short term solution just to get us going and to string some results together I think I'd be inclined to put Gerrard there, our problem isnt helped by rotations but that cant be blamed for everything, we need our players to find there form from somewhere. Swap Gerrard for Momo and you may have taken some of the indusrtrial steel out, but you've added drive, inspiration and goal threat. Something our midfield isnt offering at the moment.This also may give Pennant re-assurance in his position and time to prove whether he can cut the mustard out wide for us.

It seems obvious the team need to have a settled starting eleven, I'd pick that with Gerrard in the middle for the next few weeks, if anyone can get us going its Steven Gerrard and to do that I reckon he should be played in his most influential position. Also having Momo coming on from the bench isnt a bad option. But going back to Gerrard he could also do with a bit of TLC from the boss just to show him how much he's needed, you know the arm around the shoulder thing, a little pep talk if you like. Something like that could work wonders and inspire him into action, as somethings needed from somewhere and I think its stairing us in the face in the name of Steven Gerrard.
66-1112520797

Postby Leonidas08 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:17 am

His out of the match :( :( so bad
Leonidas08

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:20 am

:bump
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:26 am

He played centre midfield against Blackburn and didnt seem interested in proving he's the best player for that position. The problem at the moment is he's playing poorly(or at least not well), not where he's playing.
account deleted by request

Postby Thehobo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:33 am

s@int wrote:He played centre midfield against Blackburn and didnt seem interested in proving he's the best player for that position. The problem at the moment is he's playing poorly(or at least not well), not where he's playing.

agree

but alonso and sissoko in centre mid isnt good enough......

not enough creativity, drive, flair and ability to change a game offensively

sissoko tries to drive forward but fails, he is better at breaking up play

and alonso just sits and tries hollywood balls all the time
Thehobo

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:33 am

s@int wrote:He played centre midfield against Blackburn and didnt seem interested in proving he's the best player for that position. The problem at the moment is he's playing poorly(or at least not well), not where he's playing.

Yeah but thats just one game !

He'll need two or three at least to get back into the groove in the middle, I think he'll gain his confidence back in the middle, he's more of a threat there IMHO. Rafa has got to do something on the creativity front, and playing Gerrard in the middle I think would be the answer to our problems.
Afterall thats where the lad made his name in the center of the park, and was compared to the Keanes and Vieirias not so long ago, I say put him back there and we'll have much more chance of seeing the explosive Gerrard of old.  :buttrock
66-1112520797

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:35 am

Yes please

I miss the old box-to-box midfielder that we used to have....
The same one that every man and his dog were after to play for THEIR team......
The one that was once touted as the best classical central midfielder in the world.....

Might take a few games to get him back on track, but should be worth the risk as he's still dynamite even when operating at 50%.....

C'mon Stevie... Get your head screwed on right again!
Liverpool Football Club needs YOU!!!!

YNWA
ConnO'var

Postby Thehobo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:36 am

how many posts do you have to make before i can make a THREAD?
Thehobo

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:37 am

29 October 2006
GERRARD'S RAFARIFT
WORLD EXCLUSIVE Skipper's future in the balance
By Simon Mullock
STEVEN GERRARD'S future at Liverpool is hanging in the balance, with the Anfield captain growing increasingly unhappy with life under Rafa Benitez.

Sunday Mirror Sport can reveal the strained relationship between Gerrard and Benitez is now close to breaking point.

Gerrard publicly insists that he is happy to play anywhere in Benitez's tactical system.

But privately, he feels his poor form this season is down to the Spaniard's insistence that he plays wide on the right of midfield, while Xabi Alonso and Momo Sissoko play in his favourite central position. Gerrard is prepared to put his preference to one side for England - but feels his talent is going to waste at Anfield.

Benitez, who has insisted he will not quit Liverpool, now faces a third fight to keep the £30m-rated midfielder at his home-town club. Gerrard looked destined for Chelsea after Euro 2004, but was persuaded by Benitez when the Spaniard arrived at Anfield from Valencia.

Twelve months later he asked for a transfer after becoming frustrated by the lack of progress regarding new contract talks - but changed he mind again.

WTF have the Mirror and the Sunday Mirror got against Liverpool at the moment? Every time I see an article about Liverpool on their website, its always a knocking one or spouting some sh1t about us.
Is it because Gerrard sold his story to a rival paper or what?

The other thing thats worrying me is Rooney and Bryan Robson saying how they would love Gerrard to play for United. Surely no Liverpool player would stoop so low. :angry:

Postby kazza » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:55 am

GERRARD HAPPY TO STAY ON RIGHT
Sporting Life 

Steven Gerrard accepts he has to put aside personal preferences over his Liverpool position for the good of the team. 

The Reds captain has seen his own form criticised of late as the debate continues over whether he should be restored to his favourite central midfield role rather than the position on the right which boss Rafael Benitez wants him to play.

It is clear that Benitez is 'not for turning' on this issue and Gerrard is likely to be on the right of midfield for Saturday's visit of unbeaten Aston Villa to Anfield.

And Gerrard says he the manager knows what position he prefers, but he accepts without reservation where Benitez wants him to play for the good of the team.

Gerrard explained today: "The position is not the issue.

"When you are a young player breaking through you want to play in your favourite position, you are desperate to get into the team.

"But I am 26 now, I have to think of the team first. If the manager needs me to do a job on the right or the left I have got to accept it.

"He knows where I would like to play but I also understand that there is a job to be done for the team and I need to do what the manager wants me to do.

"I have heard he has said the order of priority is "team, club, supporters, players" and I agree with that. It is not about individual players, it is about the team.

"Last season we finished third in the league and we got 82 points, a club record, and we won the FA Cup. And 75% of the time I played on the right."

Gerrard was speaking at a Persil "Dirt is Good" coaching event in Liverpool, a campaign he is supporting to encourage youngsters to get out of the house and take part in sporting activities - and not to be afraid of 'getting dirty.'

The England midfielder was talking after being heavily criticised for his performance in Sunday's 2-0 defeat at Manchester United, but few knew that in the 24 hours prior to that Old Trafford match he was at the hospital bedside of his six-month-old daughter, who had been taken ill with what was feared were symptoms similar to meningitis.

Gerrard, who confirmed that his daughter is now recovering, admitted it was hardly the best build-up to such a crucial match.

On his own form he says: "There has always been pressure on me since I have become captain of Liverpool and I can understand the criticism and take it on the chin.

"I know I am not playing at the standard I want to play at but I feel as if my best form is only around the corner. A little fluky goal or a big performance will turn my form around.

"I know I am a good player and good players have dips in form. And that is happening at the moment.

"Certain people expect me to go out every game and be man of the match and score from 30 yards, but it is impossible to do that at the level we are playing at. It's really difficult.

"I also understand when I am not playing to my own standards, and I can take the stick when it comes my way.

"I've had a couple of dips in form in my career so far, but this is the first one since Rafael Benitez has taken over.

"I had a couple of dips in form under Gerard Houllier and I came back a better player and a stronger character for it. Hopefully I will do the same again.

"I know my best form is just around the corner, I can feel it coming back in training."
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:58 am

kazza wrote:
"Last season we finished third in the league and we got 82 points, a club record, and we won the FA Cup. And 75% of the time I played on the right."

I think the mirror is full of sh1t
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:59 am

I will raise your sporting life with a sunday people exclusive

MAD FOR HIM
EXCLUSIVE SPANISH GIANTS TARGET GERRARD Real plot £32Mraid
By Steve Bates
STEVEN GERRARD will find a £32million European bolt-hole at Real Madrid this summer if his fragile relationship with Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez reaches breaking point.

That was the word emerging from Spain last night with Madrid ready to part company with one English legend - David Beckham - and welcome another in Gerrard next summer.

I understand Madrid chief Fabio Capello is a huge fan of Gerrard and the Spanish giants are reported to be willing to pay the £32m it would cost topers uade Liverpool to part with the Kop king. Gerrard revealed after the disappointment of the World Cup how he hoped Liverpool would finally end 16 years of misery by lifting the Premiership title for the first time since 1990 this season.

But after a poor start they are in turmoil with dissent in the boardroom being compounded by fan anger and frustration to give Benitez his first full-blown crisis since taking over from Gerrard Houllier.

Last night Benitez insisted Gerrard was happy despite being played on the wide right of midfield and he doesn't want to sell his inspirational skipper - who feels he's wasted in an isolated role.

But senior members of Liverpool's hierarchy are concerned a substantial bid from Madrid for the Anfield skipper is in the pipeline - and this time the 26-year-old England star will go.

He knows his only realistic escape from Anfield next summer is to Spain to either Madrid or Barcelona.

Chelsea no longer need him, while Arsenal couldn't afford his fee or £120,000-a-week wages and he wouldn't go to Manchester United.

Hopefully after our win they will look for another team to spread sh!t about!
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby kirankara » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:29 am

RAFA LAUGHS OFF TIRESOME STEVIE SPECULATION
Mark Platt 29 October 2006 
  Rafael Benitez has laughed off the latest bout of speculation regarding Steven Gerrard's future at the club and insisted once again: "I'm not prepared to sell my captain." 
Responding to more tiresome rumours in a national Sunday newspaper that the Liverpool skipper could be on his way out of Anfield when the transfer window reopens in January, the Reds boss smiled, shrugged his shoulders and described them as pure fabrication.

"It's not a surprise to read stories like this," he said. "The newspapers never rest; they are always trying to find something to write about. Obviously they had nothing to write this week so they make up more rumours.

"We are experienced in these matters now and all we can do is remain focussed on the playing matches. Anyone who thinks Stevie is not committed to this club only has to look at his performance yesterday. It was clear to see he was really happy, before, during and after the game."

Benitez also vehemently denied there was any rift between the pair, adding: "We are constantly talking. He is the captain and so we always have a lot of conversations. These rumours are crazy. I'm not prepared to sell my captain." 

hes got a point its easiest story in world to use to fill paper space.Gerrards been out of form, and even when he plays on right he doesnt play on right anyway, i think its all :censored:. How can he think hes being wasted at anfield out right but not at england, when our midfield is better than the england one, bar having Joe cole on our left. Comical and sad really that they have to knock us even when things are going well, they just pick easiest and most high profile target , and we are it at moment. Rooney was it few weeks back, now its us.
kirankara

Postby murphy0151 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:53 am

If these stories are true and he does want to leave.  Let him, no player is bigger than Liverpool FC.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonidas08 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:02 pm

I would never want steve to leave, ever.

were would he go? Real Madrid? and do what their, stuff up his career like owen?
Leonidas08

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion