Winter Transfer Window

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:52 pm

Obviously the window is fast approaching so what do we expect the club to do and who do you want to see arrive

I don't expect much tbh - possibly one mid priced player

What I would like to see is the purchases we should have got in the summer

A left back like Luke Shaw
A couple of midfielders - one physically strong player and a creative player
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:54 pm

Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:52 pm wrote:Obviously the window is fast approaching so what do we expect the club to do and who do you want to see arrive

Yep, totally agree, replacing probably our second and third best player is high on the priorities.

Forget replacing the weak links.

Why don't we sell Suarez too and bring in someone who isn't as good?

Honest to god, you couldn't make it up!

:laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:55 pm

So who do you want to bring in Stu.
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:19 pm

This is one player who would be a good addition to the midfield but whilst he is very talented there is the numerous off field problems

Simonian: Banega could leave Valencia this January
by TomConn | Posted on Monday, November 4th, 2013
Marcelo Simonian, agent to Valencia midfielder, Ever Banega recently revealed that the 25-year-old could leave Mestalla this January and several clubs have already started making inquiries into the Argentine’s availability.

In a recent interview with NapoliCalcioLive.com, Simeonian revealed that Banega could leave the struggling club and join “several” other clubs that are at the ready to sign the talented playmaker.

“I can only tell you that we are already talking with several clubs in relation to the next window.

“In the next few days I will be travelling to present all the options to Valencia.”

Valencia signed Banega in a €20 million deal from Argentine side Boca Juniors in 2008, but injuries and off the field issues have kept Banega from realizing his true potential, while giving the fans flashes of brilliance before the next injury occurred.

Valencia has struggled with form in the first 12 weeks of the season and with the World Cup looming next summer, it is likely Valencia could cash in and Banega could get in top form.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:22 pm

before saturday my line of thinking was that gerrard had to be replaced by someone more athletic in january but after seeing lucas`s performance against arsenal i`m coming to the conclusion that we need not just 1 but 2 top CM`s.
arsenal are a good side but they are not one of the best teams in europe like bayern or barca. even if we did get into the CL that midfield of ours would get torn apart.
it`s not that long ago that we got to two CL finals and another semi in 4 years, under benitez we beat the cream of europe on their own patch (barcelona, real madrid, inter milan etc), if we have any sort of aspirations of getting back to that point we have to change our midfield.
this isnt a knee jerk reaction to one game either, our midfield has been off the pace all season, they played well against west brom but having a midfield that turns up 1 game in 11 wont get you anywhere.
hopefully the owners will see that rodgers is making progress with the team and back him in january
our front 3 are really top notch (suarez, sturridge and coutinho), if we back them up with an equally good midfield anything is possible.
imagine those 3 with arsenals midfield behind them, they`d have a decent shot at winning the title and the CL.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Raoul » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:35 am

If we were able to get one really good central midfielder I think that would be a good window. Any more would be a bonus really.

Given our squad's attack and defence, and if we can maintain our position going into the winter, then there has got to be a player somewhere who'd be willing to look at Liverpool in a way that they wouldn't have been in summer. No idea who though unfortunately. Maybe Kolo could have a word to his bro? :)
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:47 am

StuYesThatStu » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:54 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:52 pm wrote:Obviously the window is fast approaching so what do we expect the club to do and who do you want to see arrive

Yep, totally agree, replacing probably our second and third best player is high on the priorities.

love to know who the 2nd and 3rd best players you are referring too. :lookaround
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:26 pm

supersub » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:47 am wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:54 pm wrote:

love to know who the 2nd and 3rd best players you are referring too. :lookaround

Gerrard and Enrique I'm guessing.
Benny The Noon

Postby supersub » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:34 pm

Benny The Noon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:26 am wrote:
quote="[url=http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1223063#p1223063]StuYesThatStu » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:54 pm wrote:

Gerrard and Enrique I'm guessing.[/quote]

THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:49 pm

At a guess the amount of money available could be directly dependant upon our league position at the beginning of January. Mind you there lies a bit of a quandary. Do you spend big in January with reduced player availability to try and ensure that you finish in the top four or do you rely on the existing squad to qualify for the CL and spend even bigger in the summer. The next 10 games are possible the most important we have played for a while.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:39 pm

devaney » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:49 pm wrote:At a guess the amount of money available could be directly dependant upon our league position at the beginning of January. Mind you there lies a bit of a quandary. Do you spend big in January with reduced player availability to try and ensure that you finish in the top four or do you rely on the existing squad to qualify for the CL and spend even bigger in the summer. The next 10 games are possible the most important we have played for a while.

i`m not convinced that this squad is capable of taking enough points off the other big teams in order for us to qualify for the CL, in the past when there was just 3 or 4 other top clubs you could afford to have a poor record against the good sides and still do well.
now though including ourselves there are 7 teams with a genuine chance of finishing in the top 4 (liverpool, everton, manchester city, manchester united, arsenal, tottenham and chelsea) thats almost half the division!
that list of `also ran`s` isnt as long as it used to be, to finish in the top 4 this season you are going to have to do well against the top teams and i dont think our midfield is up to the job. imo if we dont bring in CM(s) in january we will struggle to finish in the top 4.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:55 pm

if the money is available he needs to address the midfield with it. i hope its not will hughes though, that kind of money needs to be invested wisely and for the now, not for 2017.
he has already spent over 80mil in 3 windows and imo, not got great value for it so if he continues in that vein, then its either us or him that will be in trouble. sooner or later it will have to balance out or fenway will have to start issuing blank cheques.
it still irks me to see eriksen at spurs when we could have got him  :down:  maybe he just wasnt special enough to join the group.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:58 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:39 pm wrote:
devaney » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:49 pm wrote:At a guess the amount of money available could be directly dependant upon our league position at the beginning of January. Mind you there lies a bit of a quandary. Do you spend big in January with reduced player availability to try and ensure that you finish in the top four or do you rely on the existing squad to qualify for the CL and spend even bigger in the summer. The next 10 games are possible the most important we have played for a while.

i`m not convinced that this squad is capable of taking enough points off the other big teams in order for us to qualify for the CL, in the past when there was just 3 or 4 other top clubs you could afford to have a poor record against the good sides and still do well.
now though including ourselves there are 7 teams with a genuine chance of finishing in the top 4 (liverpool, everton, manchester city, manchester united, arsenal, tottenham and chelsea) thats almost half the division!
that list of `also ran`s` isnt as long as it used to be, to finish in the top 4 this season you are going to have to do well against the top teams and i dont think our midfield is up to the job. imo if we dont bring in CM(s) in january we will struggle to finish in the top 4.

Totally agree. The midfield is simply not good enough against the top teams and that could result in our downfall. The league is looking incredibly interesting this year and some of the unexpected lesser lights may well take points off the top sides. Southampton are a prime example. That could help us providing it is not us they take the points off and Southampton unfortunately already have. Personally I think they have got to spend the money on two counts. Firstly to qualify for the CL and secondly to keep Suarez who I think will be vital to us over the next few years. The owners and Ayres already know that so they need to make sure there is a team around him that are capable of winning trophies.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:28 am

I don't think we will bring anyone in during the Jan window...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:17 am

red till i die!! » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:55 pm wrote:if the money is available he needs to address the midfield with it. i hope its not will hughes though, that kind of money needs to be invested wisely and for the now, not for 2017.
he has already spent over 80mil in 3 windows and imo, not got great value for it so if he continues in that vein, then its either us or him that will be in trouble. sooner or later it will have to balance out or fenway will have to start issuing blank cheques.
it still irks me to see eriksen at spurs when we could have got him  :down:  maybe he just wasnt special enough to join the group.

:nod , Yeah, I'm still ***** about that, we could have had Eriksen for around £10-11 million, instead we frittered money away on players who judging by their lack of appearances Rodgers now thinks are  not ready or just aren't good enough.

Our midfield definitely needs more quality and some muscle.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion