Winter Transfer Window

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:50 am

It won't be this transfer window, but we still need defenders.  Full backs to be more accurate. 
In a Brendan Rodgers team, we need fantastic fullbacks who can defend, pass the ball, get forward, get back into position quickly and obviously need to be extremely fit.  Look at the difference it makes when Glen Johnson is injured. 

I don't think Kelly, Flanagan or Robinson will make the grade.  Good players but don't think they have all of the necessary attributes.  They'll find their level at lower PL clubs.

Enrique can do a job but a lot of players out there could do a better job.  Will be replaced at some point.
Cissokho is only on loan.  He has much to prove if he wants to be wearing a Liverpool jersey next season. 

Johnson is our only very good fullback.  I think Rodgers will look to make improvements in this area but it will probably be in the summer. 

For this window, I imagine he is after a midfielder.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:39 pm

eds » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:34 am wrote:Dortmund have confirmed that Marco Reus has a buyout clause on his contract.

If I were Mr Henry and Mr Werner I would jump on the very next plane to Germany with a cheque in hand for $30m pounds.   :nod

absolutely  :nod  we should have went for him rather than losing a gamble on borini. he moved to dortmund the same time borini arrived here and he only cost a few mil more  :down:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Do we need an AM though... What we need is a DM or an all rounded CM who can track back and defend. I think contiho should be playing centrally as an AM. And I still think Hendo should be playing as CM as well
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:05 pm

jacdaniel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:50 am wrote:It won't be this transfer window, but we still need defenders.  Full backs to be more accurate. 
In a Brendan Rodgers team, we need fantastic fullbacks who can defend, pass the ball, get forward, get back into position quickly and obviously need to be extremely fit.  Look at the difference it makes when Glen Johnson is injured. 

I don't think Kelly, Flanagan or Robinson will make the grade.  Good players but don't think they have all of the necessary attributes.  They'll find their level at lower PL clubs.

Enrique can do a job but a lot of players out there could do a better job.  Will be replaced at some point.
Cissokho is only on loan.  He has much to prove if he wants to be wearing a Liverpool jersey next season. 

Johnson is our only very good fullback.  I think Rodgers will look to make improvements in this area but it will probably be in the summer. 

Enrique's a far better footballer than Johnson.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:01 pm

bunglemark2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:00 am wrote:I think Cissokho should be shipped OUT in the transfer window!

He is only on loan here

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:19 pm

LFC1990 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:01 pm wrote:
bunglemark2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:00 am wrote:I think Cissokho should be shipped OUT in the transfer window!

He is only on loan here

Well in that case put in a taxi and sent back to where he came from.

I'm not sure I'd perform as badly as he has done in all honesty.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:06 pm

maguskwt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:47 am wrote:
eds » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:34 am wrote:Dortmund have confirmed that Marco Reus has a buyout clause on his contract.

If I were Mr Henry and Mr Werner I would jump on the very next plane to Germany with a cheque in hand for $30m pounds.   :nod

How do you know the buy out clause is 30 mil?

It was all over the interwebs yesterday Spaghetti Noodles:

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1613756/borussia-dortmund-reveal-marco-reus-release-clause?cc=3436
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02 am

jacdaniel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:50 am wrote:It won't be this transfer window, but we still need defenders.  Full backs to be more accurate. 

He's been hyped up to the hilt, but every time I've seen him play I do like Luke Shaw. fits the profile, very good at going forward, can go past a man, cross as well as defend
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:27 am

Redman in wales » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02 am wrote:

He's been hyped up to the hilt, but every time I've seen him play I do like Luke Shaw. fits the profile, very good at going forward, can go past a man, cross as well as defend

Shaw is a future international, without a doubt. The lads quality.

But he's not better than Enrique. Enrique is an excellent full back who uses the ball very well. Defensively he's outstanding and in possession he has excellent quality. His passing is good and he knows when to play a ball into space. He knows how to link up and times and weights his passes superbly. He has an excellent football brain.

His crossing is average however and he doesn't communicate very well with players around him. Occasionally he tries to over play.

He's the second best full back in England and I can't quite believe there are sections of our own who don't rate the lad. I find it bizarre to be honest.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:41 am

StuYesThatStu » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:05 pm wrote:

Enrique's a far better footballer than Johnson.

I agree with this, Johnson has  occasional moments of flair which make him seem world class but his is inconsistant and is not what could be considered an "intelligent player". Enrique is far more solid with a much better football brain but with less "flair". I think that Enrique gives the ball away a fraction of the times that Johnson does ( who gives it away much more than he should) but Enrique does not cross very well and that is why people judge him as " poor". I think if you do not know a lot about football that could be the most obvious thing and that is why maybe they came to that conclusion. Enrique has had moments of poor form but over all he has been an excellent acquisition, for the money Johnson should be better than he is.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:57 am

StuYesThatStu » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:27 am wrote:
Redman in wales » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02 am wrote:

Shaw is a future international, without a doubt. The lads quality.

But he's not better than Enrique. Enrique is an excellent full back who uses the ball very well. Defensively he's outstanding and in possession he has excellent quality. His passing is good and he knows when to play a ball into space. He knows how to link up and times and weights his passes superbly. He has an excellent football brain.

His crossing is average however and he doesn't communicate very well with players around him. Occasionally he tries to over play.

He's the second best full back in England and I can't quite believe there are sections of our own who don't rate the lad. I find it bizarre to be honest.

i think enrique`s problem is that he hasnt got a football brain!
he puts his head down and runs down blind alleys and his only trick is to do that 360 spin he has seemingly patented, you yourself have mentioned his crossing, the amount of times he hits the first man is ridiculous, however defensively he is very good, he is very quick and very strong and not many players (if any) take him the cleaners.
personally i`d start him every week because he`s far better than anyone else we have at the club.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Don't think I'd put him at "second best full back in England" but do agree with the rest of your post.

Massively underrated, he's strong, determined and with the ball at his feet show's skill that some out and out attacking players would envy.

So what if he's not the best crosser of a ball ? Some people bang on as if it's the only option once he's pushed forward and he lacks a football brain  :laugh:

The fella knows exactly what he's doing, it's unfortunate that some of the team and fans aren't on the same wavelength.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:43 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:33 pm wrote:

Don't think I'd put him at "second best full back in England" but do agree with the rest of your post.

Massively underrated, he's strong, determined and with the ball at his feet show's skill that some out and out attacking players would envy.

So what if he's not the best crosser of a ball ? Some people bang on as if it's the only option once he's pushed forward and he lacks a football brain  :laugh:

The fella knows exactly what he's doing, it's unfortunate that some of the team and fans aren't on the same wavelength.

2nd the post... last season I've seen him play some delicious long passes to Suarez which resulted in some goals... I was then thinking wow this Enrique and Suarez are on the same wavelength...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:56 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:33 pm wrote:

The only full back in the league i'd take over him is Baines due to the fact his dead balls can win you a game. I certainly wouldn't take the hugely over rated Cole, Clichy, Evra, Gibbs, Kolorhov or whoever Spurs decide to play their and I wouldn't say Shaw has matured as a player yet so its hard to say whether he does have that level of ability... but having seen him two or three times it really wouldn't suprise me. (He does however run like a gimp and makes Henderson's running style look natural). :D

I find it laughable that people question his game intelligence to be honest. His passing and vision are superb and his link up play is quality. He knows when to hold and when to release. Its a shame that others in the squad aren't on the same wave length as you said. Its funny how most of his best link up play comes with Coutinho and Suarez who's strengths are also these attributes... Enrique thinks about his passes, he doesn't just punt it forward, he tries to play passes into space and onto runners which helps build momentum.

What I like about him in comparrison to Johnson is he doesn't do the brain dead stuff that the majority of idiotic fans think is "dead good".

I'm on about the sort of things that result in nothing.... Like putting in aimless dead crosses that go to no-one, and ask 5'8 strikers to beat 6'3 defenders in the air from standing jumps, I always find it extremely annoying when people say "great ball" when its an aimless cross that you're never going to score from... There is a difference in a dangerous ball and a aimless cross.Also he doesn't shoot on his weaker foot from 25 yards, or try the most ridiculous through ball that comes off once a season. The amount of times when you're at the game the muppets all say "oh that nearly a great ball by Johnson" because he's kicked yet another ball out for a goal kick by trying a Zidane like through ball from 18 yards gets right up my nose. Its not a good ball, its never on, stop f*cking trying it!!!! :D

He's extremely composed on the ball and generally when he gets the ball in the eighteen yard box, his intelligence and ability to play and think generates goals. There has been plenty of occassions in his career where he's got into the box and he's bought his team mates time to support the play by playing a one two, or holding the ball up in the right areas allowing numbers to get forward. The one on the other side just loses it or plays a nothing ball.

Alot of people are of the "get it forward" mentallity" and "kick him hard" and "lets get stuck in". I think they fail to realise that there is alot more to the game than lumping it, kicking lumps out of people and "getting it forwards".

You tend to find the people who like that sort of mentality doesn't understand Barcelona's style of football, use cliches like "such and such" does the dirty work no-one sees (that everyone can see) and generally judge players on how fast they run or how big they are.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:09 pm

Too much information Stu .  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion