Virgil van Dijk - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Doeboy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:56 pm

Pig Catcher » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 pm wrote:Sure it's a lot of money and personally I think he is being overrated, but Klopp has been pretty spot on so far with his transfers so I'm feeling good about this move. And kudus to the board for stumping up the cash and Edwards for getting this done early, albeit after the club messed up in the summer.

Not sure I'd give Edwards much kudos for getting it done early. £75m for a player pretty much offering nothing for them, with a large chunk upfront, Southampton were always going to take the money and run as quick as possible, especially with the likes of City refusing to meet that price. Hope the lad comes in and does well for us from the off because at £75m, the scrutiny around him is going to be massive and you can imagine the press/media will be looking to pick up on any little mistake etc and bandy that huge few about.
Doeboy

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:10 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:44 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:20 pm wrote:Well if FSG are are showing this intent to blow seriously inflated cash for Unproven players at top level, maybe they should dig deep and bid 130m for Harry Kane and 100m for Thomas Lemar. Because that's what we'll need to topple Man City next season for the league, especially if Coutinho departs.
We're all entitled to our opinions, that's mine :p

So you value Harry Kane at just £130 million ?   :lookaround

In todays market, which you're obviously choosing to ignore, I very much doubt that IF Spurs sold him before the start of next season, he'd go for anything less than an absolute bare minimum of £150 million, wouldn't surprise me if it was closer to the fee PSG paid for Neymar.

Your probably right, but I'd put a cheeky bid in a bit lower. Tottenham might snatch our arm off.

How many clubs in Europe have got 150m + in loose change to spend on one player!? Very few. There has to be a ceiling on this ridiculous price inflation of top players eventually. And I doubt PSG can afford to keep bidding nearly 200m for players. They'll bankrupt themselves.

I know we probably won't get Kane, but that's the calibre of player we need to win the league, as money bags man city will go out and spend another 200m next summer.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:25 pm

I really think we need to forget about the price as that is going to be the stick that they beat him with if he does not become " world class" from the start and that will not help any of us, the pressure he must now be under to prove his worth as the most expensive defender in history must be intense. He is now just another member of the team bought to make us stronger.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Exactly kazza, yes the price is steep but i couldn't care less. We have been desperate for a quality CB and now we've got one!
I am sure Virgil will be solid and perform really well.

Even for our attackers Salah and Mane will thrive on his far passes.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:04 pm

Ghost of Shankly wrote:
Thommo's perm » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:56 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly wrote:Is he worth a world record fee for a defender also? He hasn't played that well this season, hope Klopp knows what he is doing.
How about a goalkeeper as well Jurgen.

How do you know what hes worth?
???

Because I watch a lot of football. He's worth 30-40m tops :p

Just like the OX is not worth 38m and Lallana 25m etc etc

Thats one of the most pathetic and daft answers I have seen on here in a long time. I'll ask you again, how do you KNOW what he's worth.
Think carefully before you attempt to answer please
Thanks
Thommo's perm

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:08 pm

woof woof !
:wwww
So, because you "watch a lot of football" you're an authority on what a players worth ?

Mate, if you had an extra vertebrae (or a longer dick) I'm sure you'd be spending more time sucking yourself off instead of watching football    :D

:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:11 pm

Jaysus lads... Season of goodwill 'n all that shyte, eh?
:D
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:19 pm

Like some said Klopp does like to get his players used to our system, training regime and upto scratch if fitness levels are not to our standards. I hope VVD will be ready to start against City because we will definitely need him when we play them lot.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 pm

Thommo's perm..
Thats one of the most pathetic and daft answers I have seen on here in a long time. I'll ask you again, how do you KNOW what he's worth.
Thanks

That 30-40m, was an estimate based on his ability, the club he plays for, transfers of other quality players to the Premier league's elite clubs, and past transfer fees paid  by our club.

How can a defender who's never played for a big club before be worth a world record fee for a defender!??

We payed in the region of 38m for Oxlade-chamberlain, 35m or so for Salah,, 8m for Coutinho, 25m for Lallana,etc
So you're saying VVD is WORTH double what we payed for Salah!?? He's never played for a big club, we've been raped big time on this deal.
Kyle walker was a 50m buy playing well for a big club (spurs) who finished second in the league etc , is VVD worth 25m more than that!?? I think not.
Use common sense lad.
Also, the price tag, and Liverpool fans lack of patience, puts a LOT of added pressure on him also.
I hope he does well, I just think we've paid double what we Should have paid.
I think that tapping up business at the start of the Season which nearly killed the deal has hiked the price up big time. :(
Last edited by Ghost of Shankly on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:54 pm

Just for comparison, we sold Sakho, an outcast, to Crystal Palace for 26 million. Ridiculous prices all around, it's just how the market is these days.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:24 am

Ghost of Shankly wrote:
Thommo's perm..
Thanks

That 30-40m, was an estimate based on his ability, the club he plays for, transfers of other quality players to the Premier league's elite clubs, and past transfer fees paid  by our club.

How can a defender who's never played for a big club before be worth a world record fee for a defender!??

We payed in the region of 38m for Oxlade-chamberlain, 35m or so for Salah,, 8m for Coutinho, 25m for Lallana,etc
So you're saying VVD is WORTH double what we payed for Salah!?? He's never played for a big club, we've been raped big time on this deal.
Kyle walker was a 50m buy playing well for a big club (spurs) who finished second in the league etc , is VVD worth 25m more than that!?? I think not.
Use common sense lad.
Also, the price tag, and Liverpool fans lack of patience, puts a LOT of added pressure on him also.
I think that tapping up business at the start of the Season which nearly killed the deal has hiked the price up big time. :(

Ah, so its an estimate. You havent actually got a clue what hes worth? I thought as much.
By the way, I didnt say he is worth double what we paid for Salah? I dont know whether he is or he isnt and I wouldnt presume that he was based on my very limited knowledge of football finances. I actually dont care what he cost because it doesnt matter a jot whether I think hes worth it or not. Judging by your posts on the matter, neither should you?
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby maguskwt » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:58 am

Instead of splurging so much money on players, the bigger football clubs, including ours, should do more communal work, like donate a fraction of the money they spend to good causes...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:36 am

maguskwt » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:58 pm wrote:Instead of splurging so much money on players, the bigger football clubs, including ours, should do more communal work, like donate a fraction of the money they spend to good causes...

Not a chance. We in the first world are more concerned with ***** implants, slim new phones with round corners and smashed avocado on toast.
killerp

Postby redshade » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:58 am

https://youtu.be/DAMq30ZkEYs

Cracked me up. Steve Nichol smashed it.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Thommo's perm » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:24 am wrote:
Ghost of Shankly wrote:
Thommo's perm..
Thanks

Use common sense lad.

Ah, so its an estimate. You havent actually got a clue what hes worth? I thought as much.
By the way, I didnt say he is worth double what we paid for Salah? I dont know whether he is or he isnt and I wouldnt presume that he was based on my very limited knowledge of football finances. I actually dont care what he cost because it doesnt matter a jot whether I think hes worth it or not. Judging by your posts on the matter, neither should you?
:no

I've noted your point. My point ultimately, is that we should not be massively overpaying for players, just like their was raised eyebrows about the 38m fee for Oxlaide-chamberlain. I don't like our club being ripped off. Other clubs may take heed and over charge us massively for any future transfer targets, also as a result.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion