Virgil van Dijk - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:40 pm

As someone said, Neymar has become the new benchmark, that's why Phil is worth £130m+ and the likes of Kyle Walker is worth £50m.
£75m is pricey but if you want to buy players that the other top clubs want then you are going to have to pay a premium for them, it's as simple as that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Are we selling Salah along with Coutinho  :eyebrow  :D 
The price tag had nothing to do with the lads ability and all to do with how long he has on his contract. It was till 2022 same with Keita so that's why we overpay. If you want to improve then you have to sign better players and he is an improvement.
A bit of time working with Klopp and he could be worth every penny of that fee as long as people aren't expecting stupid stuff like never ever conceding a goal again  :laugh: .
Welcome to L.F.C lad  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:23 am

Transfer will be officially done on 1st so i guess he won't play against Burnley. Most likely debut will be on friday vs Everton.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:41 am

He's a fantastic signing

I really don't care about the fee.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:22 am

redshade » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:23 pm wrote:Transfer will be officially done on 1st so i guess he won't play against Burnley. Most likely debut will be on friday vs Everton.

Klopp tends not to chuck players straight in. Likes them to train for a while first. I think the first we'll see of him will be on the bench against Man City.
Eagle

Postby Reg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:04 am

We paid 38 million for Mo Salah 6 months ago didn't we?

So he's twice as good as Mo?  Great signing!!  :buttrock

Now all we need is a proper goal keeper and we're ready to challenge for the title.

(No injuries of course because we still don't have an in depth squad).

Will be interesting to see who Citech buy and what they pay.....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:09 am

I was about to start ranting about Klopp's position on transfers and not needing them.

Welcome to the club!

Bye bye Lovren  :rasp
killerp

Postby chriserfolg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:45 am

Ridiculously overpriced for a player that has really came out of no where or did set the world alight  .
A world record fee for a defender for a players who had an ok season and a serious injury recently.

Dont get me wrong , im glad we bought a defender but the circumstances and the fee needed to bring him in is questionable.

Either way , welcome to the club and all the best  , no pressure  :buttrock
chriserfolg
LFC Basic Member

Postby eds » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:23 am

F**k there is no pleasing some people.

We got him didn’t we? He strengthens our much maligned backline doesn’t he? Who gives a rats what we have paid!

Welcome to the club Virgil. If we are able to keep Couts in Jan we could push very far into the CL again and bring back those magical nights we use to have with Rafa!

We are only really missing a world class keeper and forward and we will finally be going toe-to-toe with the top 3 next season.

Well done FSG and Klopp.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby kazza » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:37 am

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11186726/virgil-van-dijk-to-liverpool-how-he-can-improve-liverpool8217s-defence

Not only will he help our defense but he will help us out in attack also. Hopefully will be regarded as one of the best defenders in the world and good value for the 75 million we have agreed.

Welcome to the best club in the world.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:30 am

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 am

kazza » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:37 am wrote:http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11186726/virgil-van-dijk-to-liverpool-how-he-can-improve-liverpool8217s-defence

Not only will he help our defense but he will help us out in attack also. Hopefully will be regarded as one of the best defenders in the world and good value for the 75 million we have agreed.

Welcome to the best club in the world.

Yup and what is awesome is that his mentor is Klopp. I can't wait to see him starting for us. If only we can sign a quality keeper.

Klopp is buying players who are hungry and have the right mentality. Ox chose us over Chelsea, VVD us over City. They both easily could've gone to the others but opted us because of Klopp and his project.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 am

Hey......look who is back.... haha. :buttrock  :buttrock

Anyway.... just came back to say....this signing is the final piece in the jigsaw so as to speak. With Keita coming in next season, i am pretty sure we will finally win the league then.

And yeah....i do think we will do well in the champions league (if VVD is eligible that is).

Awesome.. :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:33 am

https://youtu.be/yiR73RBaDu8

Virgils distribution is top notch aswel.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red_indian » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:12 am

I am not going to say I agree with the fee, as it is a lot of money, but he can surely improve our defence and provide a huge kick up the backside to Lovren to boot.

But, looking at the bigger picture, from what I can see we've spent around £140-150m on our entire backline - including replacements - Migs, Karius, Ward, Clyne, Gomez, Trent, Matip, Lovren, Klavan, VVD, Moreno, Robertson and Moreno

In Man City speak that's two full backs and a goal keeper.

Now I am not saying we can get away with spending so much less, but to we're not the far off, and the addition of VVD and maybe a goal keeper can put our defence on par with any other as best as it can be without spending a fortune we do not have. Best thing is to get it to a good level and focus efforts on bolstering the midfield (Keita is coming, but one more please) and one more in attack - either an out and out striker or another in the Salah winger/striker mould.

Klopp will get things as good as they can be given the financial disparity - give the man the time he deserves and enjoy the football which at times can be mind blowing.
red_indian

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion