Mk dons keeper poised for reds move - A team of goalkeepers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:35 am

BBC Sport

MK Dons goalkeeper David Martin will travel to Anfield on Wednesday to discuss a move to Liverpool.

The 19-year-old has made three LDV Vans Trophy appearances for the Dons but Reds boss Rafael Benitez has earmarked him as a star of the future.

Martin, the son of former West Ham defender Alvin Martin, spent four days on trial at Liverpool before Christmas, playing in one reserve game.

A nominal fee is believed to have been agreed between the clubs.

Martin would join fellow goalkeepers Jerzy Dudek, Scott Carson and Jose Reina at the club.

Another Liverpool keeper, Chris Kirkland, is currently on loan at West Brom.

----------------------------

Now along with Jose Reina, Jerzy Dudek, Scott Carson and Chris Kirkland - now we have David Martin. Now unless Rafa is trying to break the record for number of goalkeepers on the books, you have to agree that someone must be on their way out. Its possible that West Brom could sign Kirkland permanently. More likely is that Dudek will go to Benfica as part of a swap deal for Simao.

Thoughts?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:37 am

I would say that both Kirkland and Dudek would now leave the club.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:44 am

Now that Kirkland can't get in the first team at West Brom, I think he can now officially be added to the bottom of the "bad buy" column at 7 million quid. Shame it's got a touch of the empire state building about it when compared to the low-rise "good buy" column of the pre-Rafa period.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:52 am

Another bleedin keeper FFS how manys that now? Need bloody defenders not keepers.
How many ex Liverpool goalies are also in the prem?
Kirkland "goner" waste of 6 million.
Dudek "goner"
James, Freidel. Im sure theres some more knocking about what a waste of bleedin money.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:57 am

To be fair though, he's only 19 and we've paid very little in comparison. Rafa believes he's one for the future and its good to see him investing back into english football rather that buying abroad
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:58 am

Yeh, don't forget, Westervelt and Warner as well...

To be fair, I don't hink Raffa rated any of our keepers that much.  Reina is deffo No1, followed by Carson  who will always be on the bench.  That leaves this new guy to play in the reserves with Carson.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:59 am

Yeah , there's also Westervald down in Portsmouth .Seeing as he's played in La Liga I wonder if Rafa will look at him next  :D  .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:07 am

Doubt it, he had a good-ish season at liverpool but was way to prone to mistakes. Which makes me think - James, Westerveld & Dudek all prone to bad mistakes, now that seems too much of a conincicdence that all three keepers being highly rated prior to signing. I think all three are a result of our bad defense at that time.

This season we have been brilliant defensively and the clean sheets have followed, no keeper mistakes until Hyypia had another mishap at Bolton which created Reinas first error
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:11 am

woof woof ! wrote:Yeah , there's also Westervald down in Portsmouth .Seeing as he's played in La Liga I wonder if Rafa will look at him next  :D  .

:laugh:  :laugh:  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:55 am

I think Kirkland could move to Arsenal. Ive heard a few rumors about this in the past and to be honest Arsenal do need another one.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:36 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=15199

already said this last week  :rasp
:D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:39 pm

bigmick wrote:Now that Kirkland can't get in the first team at West Brom, I think he can now officially be added to the bottom of the "bad buy" column at 7 million quid. Shame it's got a touch of the empire state building about it when compared to the low-rise "good buy" column of the pre-Rafa period.

i think Kirkland is on his way out....however Rafa wants 5 million, so hopefully we will get the majority of our money back on him.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion