This puts everything into perspective - Unbelievable figures

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:12 am

I give it two minutes before somebody comes on and says "Oh God not another Chelsea thread. Concentrate on our club." But in all honesty I think this issue makes interesting reading and clarifies just exactly the extent to which Chelsea's financial power is changing the face of football as we know it to the detriment of everybody else.

The figures below put two fingers up to the Chelsea fans who hide behind the "But Liverpool have always spent money in the past and broke the transfer record excuse". The thing they forget is that we spent within our means.

Without opening a whole can of worms and obviously these figures do not include outgoings it looks like Rafa has spent £29M a season and given us a European Cup, A Super Cup and an FA Cup. Great work that, amazing infact.

Nearly half of Liverpools figures though was spent by Gerard Houllier who in return gave us an FA Cup, Uefa Cup, 2 League Cups and a Super Cup.

I've always complained about our managers not being able to compete on price and largely a lot of that is true, but they have had decent money, the problem of'course is that we have suffered more than most with bad signings in the past who didn't work out and left a hole in the budget so we couldn't spend big another day - we are still recovering from the Diao, Diouf and Cheyrou debacle with two of those still here! Whereas Chelsea can obsorb the flops, just look at that list more than half have been sh#t signings irrespective of the money they cost. We would suffer for years if we had done that.

Rafa has not made any expensive mistakes (Morientes aside but that wasn't that expensive) so going forward we should be confident we will have the money to get the top players we need.  :nod
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:42 am

Great read StMike.

Unfortunate though, Chelsea just splashed about 12 million on Mikel. Pretty positive now that Chelsea's actually buying players so that they can starve other teams.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:46 am

Those figures are absolutley disgusting. Sh*tski should be bloody ashamed of themselves, the scruffy tw*ts.

I really want Abramovich to get locked up and have his assets frozen, the seedy Russian drug-pusher. :angry:

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:52 am

By far the most horrifying thing about that table is Ged being allowed to spend £125m. I mean, it just got silly near the end. It was like these pensioners that keep getting bussed to the cashpoint by some fly-by-night roofer to draw their life savings out. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:54 am

stmichael wrote:By far the most horrifying thing about that table is Ged being allowed to spend £125m. I mean, it just got silly near the end. It was like these pensioners that keep getting bussed to the cashpoint by some fly-by-night roofer to draw their life savings out. :D

I'd probably feel less cheated if that were the case!!!!!  :D
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:39 am

Amazing reading that stmichael. I think todays signing of Obi Michals just emphasises your point, £16 million for an unproven kid they could have got for a pittence if they hadn't fkd up! The other big problem every other team now faces is having to wait till Chelsea have finished their "shopping" before making their own purchases. The wage bill at Chelsea must be enormous (makes you realise how supporters of teams like Crewe must feel about top prem teams, but at least Crewe dont have to play em.) The monetary gap now between Chelsea and the rest of prem teams surely cant be sustained (especially if the fail again in Cl) The good thing about Chelsea's top buys is that apart from Makelele and Shevchenko theres not much value for money there at all and even for those two they paid top dollar.
           On another point I was horrified by how much Houllier had spent. His first signings (apart from Ferri) were in my opinion very good too. Westerveld, Hyypia, Henchoz,Heggam,Hamman,and a bit later Riise. Decent prices too for most of em. Makes you wonder how he could pick those then buy some of the players he bought later.
          I still feel that with 2 or 3 good buys we will be more than a match for Chelsea (Aimar,
Owen,Joaquin). I would have liked another target man as well but we may not have the money.( Perhaps drop Owen and get someone who can score AND play target man?)
account deleted by request

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:17 am

Just read that John Terry is to get a £40,000 per week pay rise (S.Mirror) he must be on nearly as much as I am now! :)

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:56 am

s@int wrote: I still feel that with 2 or 3 good buys we will be more than a match for Chelsea (Aimar,
Owen,Joaquin).

You'd be so lucky. Ii can't see Rafa paying over the top odds for any of those players. And they aren't guaranteed to help us compete n as for Aimar. Wan't it Benitez who first dropped him from the Valencia squad?
48-1119859832

Postby Effes » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:09 am

s@int wrote:Just read that John Terry is to get a £40,000 per week pay rise (S.Mirror) he must be on nearly as much as I am now! :)

Where did you buy that at 5am on a Sunday?

Checked the S mirror website; no mention of this.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kano » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:21 am

stmichael wrote:By far the most horrifying thing about that table is Ged being allowed to spend £125m. I mean, it just got silly near the end. It was like these pensioners that keep getting bussed to the cashpoint by some fly-by-night roofer to draw their life savings out. :D

Indeed. GH was a :censored:
Kano

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:26 am

[quote="Kano"][/quote]
Kano,

I bet you weren't saying that when we were on our road to completing the treble five years ago?
48-1119859832

Postby Alonso14 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:42 am

Effes wrote:
s@int wrote:Just read that John Terry is to get a £40,000 per week pay rise (S.Mirror) he must be on nearly as much as I am now! :)

BBC Website.  :;):
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kano » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:57 am

0asis wrote:
Kano wrote:

Kano,

I bet you weren't saying that when we were on our road to completing the treble five years ago?

No i wasnt but the moment he he bought in players like Diouf I began to question his methods. I just hope Rafa is backed aswell as GH.
Kano

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:18 am

Kano wrote:
0asis wrote:
Kano wrote:

Kano,

No i wasnt but the moment he he bought in players like Diouf I began to question his methods. I just hope Rafa is backed aswell as GH.

Of couese Rafa's going to be backed as much as Ged was, what kinda statement is that? Rafa has just signed a four year deal which will keep him here until 2010. He has the full backing of the board, players and fans
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:22 am

I got it off BBC sunday gossip column bbc sport :)

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion