The Next 5 games

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:49 am

NewCastle (away)
West Brom (Home)
Arsenal (Away)
Fulham (Home)
Everton (Away)

How many points do people realistically think we'll get? 
I can see us getting 4 points from Newcastle and west brom.  Have a feeling we'll draw one of those 2 games.
Arsenal away is obviously tricky.
Should have too much for Fulham at Anfield.
Anything can happen in a derby.

I think 8 points wouldn't be too bad.
10 would be a very good return.
Anything more than that and Rodgers is likely to be manager of the month again  :D
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:56 am

jacdaniel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:49 am wrote:NewCastle (away)
West Brom (Home)
Arsenal (Away)
Fulham (Home)
Everton (Away)

I can see us getting 4 points from Newcastle and west brom.  Have a feeling we'll draw one of those 2 games.

Anything more than that and Rodgers is likely to be manager of the month again  :D

Jac - Before the season started I predicted 22 points from our first 10 games. Most people thought I was mad but I'm still in there with a bit of a chance. I'd happily take 11 from the next 5 games. Anything more would be a massive bonus and we would have to be taken very seriously.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:38 am

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect wins at home against West Brom and Fulham. The away games are a mixed bag. Historically our form against Newcastle has been very good, their attacking mentality plays into our counter attacking style. 3 points, anything less will be disappointing to say the least.

Arsenal away will be very tough, we've had a poor record away to Arsenal for years. We are playing well enough to give them a good game but I would settle for a draw if it were offered now.

Everton away will all depend on how the previous 4 games go. We typically don't lose against them, which is a positive. Assuming another draw would bring us to the grand total of 11 points out of a possible 15.

11 points would equal a successful month IMO.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Considering them in isolation, one game at a time it's not unrealistic to suggest we can win each match

However it may not be realistic to suggest we actually will go on a 5 game winning streak that involves 3 away games and opposition that includes the current league leaders, our bitter neighbours, a more than  handy West Brom and on their day a dangerous Newcastle side,

Fulham at our place should be 3 points in the bag. Newcastle, West Brom and Everton are all imo "could go any way" games, I'm thinking we'll drop some points somewhere in that mix so 4 points from those. Arsenal will be tough but a point is feasible.

I''d set my realistic expectation at 7-8 and optimistically 9-10.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:22 pm

devaney » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:56 am wrote:
jacdaniel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:49 am wrote:NewCastle (away)
West Brom (Home)
Arsenal (Away)
Fulham (Home)
Everton (Away)

Jac - Before the season started I predicted 22 points from our first 10 games. Most people thought I was mad but I'm still in there with a bit of a chance. I'd happily take 11 from the next 5 games. Anything more would be a massive bonus and we would have to be taken very seriously.

Still possible alright.  The next 3 are all quite tricky though. 
Newcastle are often quite good at home with their fans behind them.  West Brom have turned into a tough team to beat.
They beat the Mancs and got a draw with Arsenal. 
Arsenal away has probably been the tie we've gotten the least amount of points from over the last few years.

Think we might fall just short of your prediction.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:57 pm

I think 7-8 is a reasonable return but it could easily be around 10-11
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:54 pm

in a way these 5 games could define our season, we`ve managed to rack up quite a few points without looking all that convincing and i think a lot of fans are wondering just how good we are. are we really good enough to challenge for a top 4 place or have we just been dealt a kind fixture list early on and been lucky?
i think we`ll have more of an idea where we are at after these games.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:00 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:54 pm wrote:in a way these 5 games could define our season, we`ve managed to rack up quite a few points without looking all that convincing and i think a lot of fans are wondering just how good we are. are we really good enough to challenge for a top 4 place or have we just been dealt a kind fixture list early on and been lucky?

I said something similar in another thread.  I think we are around were we should be if we want to finish top 4 given the fixtures we've had.  Maybe a point or 2 better off. 

Newcastle, West Brom, Arsenal and Everton though should give us a better idea of were we really are.
As people seem to be saying, 8 points would be decent from the next 5 matches. 
Anything more than 10 would be fantastic.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:13 pm

jacdaniel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:00 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:54 pm wrote:in a way these 5 games could define our season, we`ve managed to rack up quite a few points without looking all that convincing and i think a lot of fans are wondering just how good we are. are we really good enough to challenge for a top 4 place or have we just been dealt a kind fixture list early on and been lucky?

I said something similar in another thread.  I think we are around were we should be if we want to finish top 4 given the fixtures we've had.  Maybe a point or 2 better off. 

Newcastle, West Brom, Arsenal and Everton though should give us a better idea of were we really are.
As people seem to be saying, 8 points would be decent from the next 5 matches. 
Anything more than 10 would be fantastic.

a lot depends on how our rivals do over the same period as well mate.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:23 pm

I'm not thinking beyond the WBA game. The goal that I personally have set for Liverpool is to go on a 4 games winning streak, something which we haven't done in  a while. Newcastle away and WBA home will be difficult games no doubt, but I think that if we want to be considered as serious candidates for a top 4 finish we need to be winning those and go on a winning streak in order to show that we're serious about our intent.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:25 pm

8 points... don't know who against or what scores... but thats how many I think we'll get :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Maximums and two points or more from Arsenal and Everton is my bet.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 pm

i think anything less than 10pts will be a disastrous return. we have started the season well taking 16pts from a possible 21 and although the opposition gets a little tougher we still should have enough quality to beat them all and take a draw with arsenal, even a loss to them will see us take 12pts.
suarez and sturridge are on fire and with coutinho soon to return we will be at our strongest, i dont see any reason why we won't continue scoring and winning games  :nod
12pts from that lot is what we should be aiming for  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby redno7 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 am

15 points from the next 5 games. No less. we are capable of it too.
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:15 am

redno7 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 am wrote:15 points from the next 5 games. No less. we are capable of it too.

All of them with us winning by 4 clear goals as well!
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion