The Next 5 games

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:06 pm

wish these windows for international football could be moved to either the beginning of the season or the end, they are f##king annoying, we are barely into november and there`s been 3 stoppages to the season already!
i dont know what it`s like in other parts of the country but hardly anyone watched that chile game up here, everytime i bring it up everyone says `oh i didnt bother watching it, what was the score?`
hodgson going with an experimental side probably didnt help peoples interest levels, not many people around here are going to be @rsed watching the likes of phil jones, chris smalling, tom cleverley and james milner. playing it on a friday night is not the greatest idea either as a lot of people go out.
years ago internationals werent so disruptive because they didnt stop the league program but these days an england international basically means a fortnight without footy.
when people are used to the intensity of premier league games the slow plodding pace of international friendlies just make people apathetic. when both sides make about 20 substitutions in the second half doesnt help either.
at least after the germany game (which should garner more interest than the chile game) there`s a decent break until england play denmark in march.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:02 pm

My weekends feel so naked without Liverpool in it :(
maypaxvobiscum

Postby damjan193 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Every time I watch these international I hope that our players aren't on the team sheet, unless it's a player that needs game-time. Thankfully, Gerrard and Sturridge weren't involved against Chile. Both Moses and Allen played for their country (both needed some game time) and did pretty well. It was also nice to see Henderson being involved for England. I hope that Suarez will return sooner so he doesn't have the jet-lag thing since Uruguay won 5-0 away from home.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:49 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:06 pm wrote:wish these windows for international football could be moved to either the beginning of the season or the end, they are f##king annoying, we are barely into november and there`s been 3 stoppages to the season already!
i dont know what it`s like in other parts of the country but hardly anyone watched that chile game up here, everytime i bring it up everyone says `oh i didnt bother watching it, what was the score?`
hodgson going with an experimental side probably didnt help peoples interest levels, not many people around here are going to be @rsed watching the likes of phil jones, chris smalling, tom cleverley and james milner. playing it on a friday night is not the greatest idea either as a lot of people go out.
years ago internationals werent so disruptive because they didnt stop the league program but these days an england international basically means a fortnight without footy.
when people are used to the intensity of premier league games the slow plodding pace of international friendlies just make people apathetic. when both sides make about 20 substitutions in the second half doesnt help either.
at least after the germany game (which should garner more interest than the chile game) there`s a decent break until england play denmark in march.

I have a mate who's mum and dad are chilean (so therefore shows an interest in them) and I don't think he even bothered watching it.

Internationals bore the living day lights out of me. Don't mind the world cup or Euros but the qualifiers and friendlies are just a ball ache.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:10 am

Since we struggle a bit in the derby's (though a win (United) a draw (Everton) and a lose (Arsenal) isn't that bad) we need to win against the lesser sides. Our next three games are against Hull(A), Norwich(H) and West Ham(H). I expect nothing less than winning all three with a few goal difference. The good thing is that this team looks set up to win against smaller teams so my expectations are realistic. After that we play Tottenham(A) and Cardiff(H). Both will be tough games but if we want a top 4 finish we'll need to win at least 4 points from those. All in all, 13 points from our next 5 games would be great and might take us back on top. To be honest, I'll be slightly disappointed if we lose one of those games, even against Spurs.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:29 am

I agree but Cardiff at home should be a rout. They are no better than Hull, Norwich or West Ham.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:52 am

At the very start of the thread I said 8 points wouldn't be bad and thats exactly what we've got.
Newcastle game was probably the most frustrating because I thought we should have beaten them with 10 men for 45 mins. 

Now its time for us to try pick up big points in the next 5 before the away trips to Chelsea and City.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:33 am

jacdaniel » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:52 am wrote:At the very start of the thread I said 8 points wouldn't be bad and thats exactly what we've got.
Newcastle game was probably the most frustrating because I thought we should have beaten them with 10 men for 45 mins. 

Now its time for us to try pick up big points in the next 5 before the away trips to Chelsea and City.

the games against the lesser lights in the division become even more important to us now because we dont look capable of beating the better sides in the prem.
yes we beat united but we caught them cold from a corner after about 3 minutes and then defended for our lives for the rest of the game, it was like the alamo and that was at home as well.
but because teams like united and spurs are still dropping points to the likes of cardiff and west ham we still may have an outside chance of getting in the top 4 just as long as we are ruthless against the lesser teams.
15 points would be a big ask but we are pretty good at dispatching those mid/lower table sides under rodgers and it would give us a much needed cushion for when we play spurs, chelsea and city (all away from home) over the christmas.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:00 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:33 am wrote:
jacdaniel » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:52 am wrote:At the very start of the thread I said 8 points wouldn't be bad and thats exactly what we've got.

the games against the lesser lights in the division become even more important to us now because we dont look capable of beating the better sides in the prem.
yes we beat united but we caught them cold from a corner after about 3 minutes and then defended for our lives for the rest of the game, it was like the alamo and that was at home as well.
but because teams like united and spurs are still dropping points to the likes of cardiff and west ham we still may have an outside chance of getting in the top 4 just as long as we are ruthless against the lesser teams.
15 points would be a big ask but we are pretty good at dispatching those mid/lower table sides under rodgers and it would give us a much needed cushion for when we play spurs, chelsea and city (all away from home) over the christmas.

we have got to take maximum pts before we face those 3 on the run up to christmas. even at that if we fail to get anything from those 3 it could very well place us out of the top 4.
mentality is a big issue for me, we just dont have it when it comes to closing out tough games. just beating the lower sides wont be enough and we will have to upset a few of the bigger ones.
so far we have 4 points from 9 against the top 6(not inc saints) that kind of return has to improve if we want to get top 4. its grand going out and hammering relegation fodder every other week but you have to compete against the top sides.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:13 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:33 am wrote:

Defended for our lives against United?  ??? Are you on the wind up? Oh yeah sorry I forgot "the midfield".... :laugh: They had one chance and a couple of half chances. I wouldn't say we exactly refere to it as that!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:21 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:33 am wrote:

I think we'll give the big teams a good game at Anfield.  Its away from home were we have struggled a bit against the bigger teams. But thats always the case.

At least in the run in we'll have the likes of Everton, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and City at Anfield were hopefully we'll give them a better game.

I fear playing City at the Etihad though, they are winning by some ridiculous margins there at the moment and our defence isn't our strong point  :D
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion