12 games unbeaten - can it continue? - How many unbeaten games?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

12 games unbeaten - can it continue? - How many unbeaten games?

12 games (end at old trafford)
No votes
13 games (end at home to Birmingham)
No votes
14 games (end at Stamford Bridge)
32%
15 games (end at JJB)
No votes
16 games or more
68%

Total votes : 41

Postby Owzat » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:43 am

I was thinking the other day about our unbeaten start to the season in 02/03 and I wondered how this current run compares with Gerard Houllier. Rafa is on course maybe to equal or better Gerard Houllier's best unbeaten run as manager (that I could find, there were two good runs in the season we finished 2nd). In 2001/2 Gerard Houllier went on a 14 game unbeaten run towards the end of the season to add to a 12 game unbeaten run nearer the start (after losing 2 of the first 3 games and losing 3 inbetween the 2 runs). Houllier also went 12 games unbeaten in 2002/3 but lost 10 of the last 26 games of that season to finish 5th, the beginning of the end of his time at Liverpool.

Best unbeaten runs

14 Gerard Houllier (01/02) P14 W11 D3 L0 Pts 30 (final position 2nd, run ended by Tottenham away)

12 Rafael Benitez (05/06) P12 W11 D1 L0 Pts 34 (final position ???, run as yet unbeaten)
12 Gerard Houllier (01/02) P12 W9 D3 L0 Pts 30 (final position 2nd, run ended by Chelsea away)
12 Gerard Houllier (02/03) P12 W9 D3 L0 Pts 30 (final position 5th, run ended by Middlesboro away)

14 game unbeaten run (01/02)

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-1 Southampton
Man Utd 0-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-0 Leicester
Leeds 0-4 Liverpool
Ipswich 0-6 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-1 Everton
Fulham 0-2 Liverpool
Liverpool 3-0 Newcastle
Middlesboro 1-2 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea
Liverpool 2-0 Charlton
Sunderland 0-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 2-0 Derby

Can Liverpool equal or better that 14 game unbeaten run? It certainly won't be easy with a difficult set of fixtures coming up :-

22/01 Man Utd (a)
31/01 Birmingham (h)
05/02 Chelsea (a)
----------------------------
11/02 Wigan (a)
14/02 Arsenal (h)
26/02 Man City (h)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:46 am

16 games and more.

We will win at Old Trafford I´m 100% sure of it, and our unbeaten run will not stop, I don´t think we will lose another game in the Prem this season.

Cheers.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:47 am

the way were playing right now i wouldnt bet on us losing to anyone, however Man Utd away is just about one of the most difficult fixtures of the season, and never a disgrace to lose at Old trafford, but i have a feeling we'll come away with at least a point, and then defeat Birmingham comfortably.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:04 am

Owzat wrote:14 Gerard Houllier (01/02) P14 W11 D3 L0 Pts 30 (final position 2nd, run ended by Tottenham away)

Are you sure that adds up? :D

Seriously tho I think we will win 2-1 at Old Trafford and win the majority of our remaining games, Man U will fall away n we will comfortably finish 2nd.  I dont know if we will remain unbeaten for the rest of the season but we are more than capable of it.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:31 am

Man Utd = Win
Birmingham = Win
Chelsea = Draw
Wigan = Win
Arsenal = Draw
Man City = Win

The unbeaten run will be severely tested against Arsenal and Chelsea but I'm confident that we can get something out of those games.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:47 am

I'm worried by the signs of fatigue being displayed by the entire 11 that started vs Tottenham.

If that was just a blip, then we can keep going, but if the lads genuinely are getting knackered then Man U away could bring the run to an end.

If I were Rafa I'd ease up on the physical side of things, and spend the time on tactics. (Just for a day to give them more rest.)

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:26 am

no offence owzat, but i hate to see polls like this. obviously long may the run continue, but this has jinx written all over it.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:45 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:the way were playing right now i wouldnt bet on us losing to anyone, however Man Utd away is just about one the most difficult fixtures of the season, and never a disgrace to lost at Old trafford, but i have a feeling well come away with at least a point, and then defeat Birmingham comfortably.

:nod
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:58 am

You take it one game at a time.

On the day most teams can beat anyother. But I feel that we can win at old trafford and get a result at stamford bridge.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:31 am

Scoreless draws at both mu and chelsea will be good enough for us
tel

Postby the_red_alonso » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:37 am

Hi Guys
I'm a new member of this forum(A red from INDIA)
Well directly to the topic:
Liverpool are in gr8 form right now but the fixtures comin up are some real crackers.
If we dont have any injury to crucial players(Gerrard,Alonso,HyyPIA,JC) certainly the run is going to extend beyond 15-16 games the kind of confidence & buzz they r playin with.
BTH i think we may see a couple of draws during this tough period(hope we win though) as MAN U away
Chel$ki away n & 7 goal :censored: are really tough ones to ask.
These games might well be decided by a single goal n the key will be our defence.
Hope u like my debut post
Forever RED
the_red_alonso
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:01 am

I am also worried about fatigue that is obviously starting to show now, we have played 37 games already, compared to Spurs 24th plus we have 2 games in hand that we need to catch up on.
And a run in the F.A.Cup and CL and premiership.
I know wins bring confidence to the side, but thats an awful lot of games we have played this season already.
Real test will be Manure, Arsenal and Chelsea I just hope some of the reserves can play in the F.A.Cup I know we want silverware this season, but the prem comes first, plus theres only 7 games to play in the CL should we get to the final.

I still think we need to buy some more cover in CD as Agger is cuptied so theres only Traore that could play should Sammi or Carra get injured.

It looks more mental fatigue than pysical, but I read one of Rafa's mates statements about how Rafa will make Liverpool one of the fittest teams in the prem.

Maybe all them injuries last season where down to the new training regimes, just thank god the players have adapted to it this season.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:44 am

i'll be disappointed if we don't at leats draw at old trafford, birmingham shouldn't be a problem, but then.... a little trip to stamford bridge to deal with. that's where it could all become unstuck as even when chelsea don't play that well they are solid enough to force something from any game.

anyhow if our run DID end there we'd have equalled the run of 14 unbeaten which is not bad going at all. however, if we negotiate the next three games without losing then pick up wins against wigan, arsenal and man city who knows where we might end up.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:50 am

Burton Albion will a threat for ManUtd before they can meet us. So,i am confident we can beat them at the so-called DREAM THEATHRE. The rest of EPL can't beat us at the moment except Chelsea.
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:59 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I'm worried by the signs of fatigue being displayed by the entire 11 that started vs Tottenham.

If that was just a blip, then we can keep going, but if the lads genuinely are getting knackered then Man U away could bring the run to an end.

If I were Rafa I'd ease up on the physical side of things, and spend the time on tactics. (Just for a day to give them more rest.)

I agree with that.

The team looked tired on Saturday, we only just had enough in the tank to beat them and we certainly didn't control the game.  Although we managed to grind out a good result I'm worried about the United game.  They're always at their best with their backs to the wall and they've just lost to City in the derby, I think they'll play out of their skins against us.

Despite that, our midfield is so much stronger than theirs that even if our players are fatigued and theirs are pumped up, I still think it is more likely to be a draw than a defeat for us, we certainly won't be dominated like we have been so many times in recent years at Old Trafford.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion