The legacy of benitez - Defense and prosecution

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:01 am

tonyeh wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Reg wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
Reg wrote:the fact of the matter is:  Martin O´Neill is a better premiership manager than Benitez.

Was Phil Brown as well two months ago ?

Fickle.

I´m not fickle Leon, MON took over at Villa with little funds and has slowly but surely built a strong team. No fuss, no constant press speculation and fanfare, just done a solid job.

Rafa´s going off the rails mate, he´s lost the plot scarily similar to Kenny, Evans and Houllier. (Souness never knew the plot).

Time for Rafa to go to church and make his peace. Time for him to act like MON.

What's he won?

Three Scottish league titles with Celtic and a few cups too. First manager to get a Scottish team to the CL. Got to a Uefa cup final (but beaten by Porto).

That's not bad, considering what he had to work with.

On top of that, he's done great at Villa, with the limited resources there.

That's what he's done.

"Considering what he had to work with."

I take it by that you mean the richest club in Scotland? I take it you mean playing teams the equivalent of our Conference week in, week out and winning?

If we're counting Mickey Mouse trophies, I'm sure Sam Allardyce has about 10 Auto Windscreen Trophies - maybe we should get him...

Now let's look at Rafa, shall we?

Valencia CF

* La Liga
          o Winner (2): 2001-02, 2003-04
    * UEFA Cup
          o Winner (1): 2003-04

Liverpool

* FA Cup
          o Winner (1): 2006
    * FA Community Shield
          o Winner (1): 2006
    * UEFA Champions League
          o Winner (1): 2004-05
    * European Super Cup
          o Winner (1): 2005

Add to the mix Champions' league runner-up, World Club Championship runner-up, Carling Cup runner-up, in front of O'Neill, never lost to O'Neill and, despite a "poor" season, 2 points off the summit in January.

If going off the rails means unbeaten since 1st November (league - cup was 12th November), well f*ck it - let's go off them a bit more.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:04 am

bigmick wrote:I think Martin O'Neil also won the Coca Cola Cup with Leicester as well as I recall. Their first piece of silverware probably in history I should think. I think he took them up from the Championship into the Premiership as well, and wasn't it the case that Celtic hadn't won the Scottish Prem for a while when he went there? Rangers were in domination mode at the time.

I remember Celtic poutting us out of Europe during his tenure there as well. They were of course very unfortunate in the final of the UEFA against Mourinho's Porto (practically the same team with which Mourinho won the Champions League the following season).

So in terms of trophies won, I should think O'Neil is miles clear. I suspect Lando is talking more about the prestige rather the number of trophies. La Liga is certainly a prestigious notch on the belt, regardless of the fact it was in the middle of something of a lull for the big two over there. That said O'Neil has never managed a team in La Liga (nor is he likely to) so you can't really hold it against him.

You might argue that the only way you can really compare the two managers is in like for like competitions where they both compete. The easiest is the Premiership, where Rafa is ahead of O'Neil this season by a point. Whether or not that's a good achievement by Rafa or O'Neil is for others to judge.

Let's look at the history too, though, Mick - people like to use it when it benefits them.

How many times has O'Neill finished above this "clueless, idiotic, stubborn, tactically inept Spanish clown"?

Come on - tell me - you know you want to... :eyebrow

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:18 am

Well he never has Lando, but that's hardly proof of Rafa's superiority. Aston Villa were lucky if they could get into the top 10 when O'Neill took over. He probably won't this year either I shouldn't have thought (if he does then there really should be questions asked). That he has done a good job though is surely beyond any dispute? Their improvement has been absolutely unbelieveable to be totally honest.

It's not liek I even want him to be our next manager should Rafa leave in the Summer. There is one candidate which eclipses all others, even a fine manager like O'Neill.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:31 am

bigmick wrote:Well he never has Lando, but that's hardly proof of Rafa's superiority. Aston Villa were lucky if they could get into the top 10 when O'Neill took over. He probably won't this year either I shouldn't have thought (if he does then there really should be questions asked). That he has done a good job though is surely beyond any dispute? Their improvement has been absolutely unbelieveable to be totally honest.

It's not liek I even want him to be our next manager should Rafa leave in the Summer. There is one candidate which eclipses all others, even a fine manager like O'Neill.

I thought you had more about you than to want that scum-sucking b*stard at this club, Mick. Have you forgotten what a c*nt he is?

I'd rather have David Moyes here. :no

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:33 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:Well he never has Lando, but that's hardly proof of Rafa's superiority. Aston Villa were lucky if they could get into the top 10 when O'Neill took over. He probably won't this year either I shouldn't have thought (if he does then there really should be questions asked). That he has done a good job though is surely beyond any dispute? Their improvement has been absolutely unbelieveable to be totally honest.

I thought you had more about you than to want that scum-sucking b*stard at this club, Mick. Have you forgotten what a c*nt he is?

Im not turning this into an OOT thing, but that post (re. Moyes) shows how out of tune with
the rest of us you are.
Last edited by Effes on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:34 am

bigmick wrote:Well he never has Lando, but that's hardly proof of Rafa's superiority.

I think you've contradicted yourself there, Mick. That's EXACTLY what it proves. (That's the argument the plebs use regarding Whiskey b*llocks, Moris and Wenger. "Ooooh, how many times did Rafa finish above them? Oooooh..." - What's good for the Goose, etc...)

O'Neill is the new Sam Allardyce. As soon as he gets a sniff of a big-ish club, he'll fall from grace quicker than a chinaman's orgasm.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:37 am

Effes wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:

Im not turning this into an OOT thing, but that post (re. Moyes) shows how out of tune with
the rest of us you are.

No sh*t, Sherlock.

I think you might find that it was to illustrate the point... :no

If the majority want that scumbag as the gaffer, the majority can go and flush themselves down the sh*tter.

Because that's exactly where that b*stard son of a whore will take us.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:41 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:O'Neill is the new Sam Allardyce. As soon as he gets a sniff of a big-ish club, he'll fall from grace quicker than a chinaman's orgasm.

It's possible Lando, but I guess we'll never know until it happens. I would slightly counter that Allardyce hasn't had a chance at a big club either, Newcastle don't really count. I remain convinced he is a good manager, he did after all perform nothing short of heroics at Bolton.

That's not to say I'd want us to find out one way or another whether he could do it a big club by giving him a shot at Anfield. O'Neil I have no doubts would do a good job, Allardyce I'm not quite so sure. Shame they never gave him the England job when they most definately should have, then we could have found out one way or another.

As for the other bloke in the photograph, what makes you think I'm on about him?  :;):
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:45 am

bigmick wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:O'Neill is the new Sam Allardyce. As soon as he gets a sniff of a big-ish club, he'll fall from grace quicker than a chinaman's orgasm.

It's possible Lando, but I guess we'll never know until it happens. I would slightly counter that Allardyce hasn't had a chance at a big club either, Newcastle don't really count. I remain convinced he is a good manager, he did after all perform nothing short of heroics at Bolton.

That's not to say I'd want us to find out one way or another whether he could do it a big club by giving him a shot at Anfield. O'Neil I have no doubts would do a good job, Allardyce I'm not quite so sure. Shame they never gave him the England job when they most definately should have, then we could have found out one way or another.

As for the other bloke in the photograph, what makes you think I'm on about him?  :;):

Am I wrong?

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:50 am

No mate you're not. I think if Rafa leaves in the Summer and you want a man to give you the absolute maximum chance of winning the Premiership, the shortlist is shorter than most. Three managers know what it takes to win it and have done so during the last 10 years. Assuming that Ferguson and Wenger are out of bounds then the list has only one name on it for me.

I don't think we'd get him though. Given that, it'll be somebody else from abroad I should think. We're in one of those periods where big clubs don't go for local managers. Could be anyone I guess and there's no certainty he'd be better than what we've already got.

If we were to consider someone a bit closer to home, my two choices would be Martin O Neill and Kenny Dalglish. The latter is far younger than Ferguson and IMHO has much to offer.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:12 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:Well he never has Lando, but that's hardly proof of Rafa's superiority.

I think you've contradicted yourself there, Mick. That's EXACTLY what it proves. (That's the argument the plebs use regarding Whiskey b*llocks, Moris and Wenger. "Ooooh, how many times did Rafa finish above them? Oooooh..." - What's good for the Goose, etc...)

O'Neill is the new Sam Allardyce. As soon as he gets a sniff of a big-ish club, he'll fall from grace quicker than a chinaman's orgasm.

:no

not on !

I have family from that part of world lando bloody racist comments are not welcome around here.
Last edited by LegBarnes on Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:13 am

This is how I picture you lando when your on a rant !

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA&feature=related

I really think I ain't far off.

:oops:  :oh:
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:21 am

tbh makes you wonder if he say something like that on a forum what lenghts he will go to with his mates I would blood knock ya lights out lando if i ever met you i heard that garbage come out ya mouth you a disgrace tot he human race you need a lession not only in your temper , but you seem to have all the common sense of a micro organism.

I pitty people like you I really do.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:48 am

Barnesy I think all Lando's comments were light hearted. I'm assuming it's the Chinamans orgasm comment which has wound you up, (unless you're Scottish and it's the whisky nose thing). Let it go bud, it was an innocent remark.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:52 am

bigmick wrote:Barnesy I think all Lando's comments were light hearted. I'm assuming it's the Chinamans orgasm comment which has wound you up, (unless you're Scottish and it's the whisky nose thing). Let it go bud, it was an innocent remark.

one thing tho family.

Would you be same if you had family from that area of world and one of that had to grow up with consistent bulling about his race then you might think comments like that are not on.

I can drop it tho its below me those types of remarks but he best not say any thing else about it.

Its just what little respect I had for him has gone right out of window.
Last edited by LegBarnes on Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion