The legacy of benitez - Defense and prosecution

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby THEBARON » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Do you think MON is a serious alternative given the issues during the summer over the Barry fiasco?
He is doing a great job at the moment that is true enough but is he really an option.
He was probably more of a realistic option in 2004 when Houllier departed.
THEBARON

Postby Owzat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:30 pm

I'm no fan of MON, but he does more with what he has at his disposal than Rafa. The villa are churning out results while we're sat watching the team and, let's face it, how many on here were shocked that we didn't win last night? I felt more or less resigned to the possibility we wouldn't win, even when jubilant we'd scored. Rafa is unable to change the course of a game, we're not scoring enough goals and he is seemingly clueless on how to turn it around. You could argue that we lose the game just after Rafa starts making his last 20-30 mins of the game substitutions. Coincidence? Maybe not
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby THEBARON » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:39 pm

The substitutions are usually predictable and ineffective.
The league game  versus Everton is a classic example. Leading 1 nil - take off your forwards and try and sit on the lead. Let's be honest - what is your reaction when he brings Lucas on?
The other sub ( Benayoun ) gives away a stupid free kick....
THEBARON

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:44 pm

THEBARON wrote:Is that the Martin O'Neill who has just signed Heskey ?

yep. the same. the same heskey that scored the winning goal midweek. (when was the last time we had a winning goal in the league? .... (2008 is the answer!))

dont get me wrong, i'd rather have torres upfront than heskey, i'd rather have keane up front then heskey.

but MON has taken a cr@ppy villa side, and taken them into the top 4. and even if they do slip away, its still some achievment to be above arsenal, be on level terms with liverpool (and be a point behing chelsea) come the start of february
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:46 pm

ok fellas, please please please do not forget that if Rafa walks (like a lot of you really want him to) then so will a number of our top men. Torres, Reina, Reira and alonso will all follow.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Lee J wrote:ok fellas, please please please do not forget that if Rafa walks (like a lot of you really want him to) then so will a number of our top men. Torres, Reina, Reira and alonso will all follow.

No they wont.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:01 pm

i wouldnt be too sure. Rafa is the main reason some of our players are at Liverpool.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:07 pm

Yeah how can you be sure. If things take a turn for the better with the ownership of the club then I would say lt him have another year with a bit of dosh to spend, maybe bring in some Torres quality players. After that if we still cant get anywhere then let him go.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:10 pm

We are only assuming the spanish players are behind Rafa but that may not be true. I'm not sure Alonso will follow. At the end of the day, it is their livelihood and we can't possibly denied that they won't like the next manager (unless it is Hughes   :p ) I think the effect that Rafa has may not be as significant to all the spanish players as it seems. In fact, many players would think this would give them a chance to renew their LFC career. If you ask Keane, he might agree. But I'm certain there will be one player that will follow Rafa for sure is Kuyt :D !
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 pm

For me, if they decide to go, then let them go..... If that is the case, then their loyalties are elsewhere. Michael Owen decided not to give the new manager a chance when Rafa 1st arrived...... He was widely villified by the fans and the years have since proved that he made a massive mistake. Who's to say that the same scenario won't be repeated in the event that Rafa does go..... And that is still a big fat IF. I don't think that midseason is the right time to let any manager go.... at best we would only get a stop gap solution.

Personally I don't want any player playing for the manager rather than the club.

As much as I don't think that Rafa is the man to lead us forward.... to be rid now is madness and he deserves better treatment than that.... for better or worse.... the man has improved the side.... I may not think that he has what it takes to get us to the next level, he has EARNED the right to better treatment than a mid-season sacking.
ConnO'var

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:21 pm

ConnO'var wrote:For me, if they decide to go, then let them go..... If that is the case, then their loyalties are elsewhere. Michael Owen decided not to give the new manager a chance when Rafa 1st arrived...... He was widely villified by the fans and the years have since proved that he made a massive mistake. Who's to say that the same scenario won't be repeated in the event that Rafa does go..... And that is still a big fat IF. I don't think that midseason is the right time to let any manager go.... at best we would only get a stop gap solution.

Personally I don't want any player playing for the manager rather than the club.

As much as I don't think that Rafa is the man to lead us forward.... to be rid now is madness and he deserves better treatment than that.... for better or worse.... the man has improved the side.... I may not think that he has what it takes to get us to the next level, he has EARNED the right to better treatment than a mid-season sacking.

Spot on
account deleted by request

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:01 am

I've a question:

How many of you think that with the squad Chelsea have, if Rafa took over there, would he win the league with them? Is their squad better than ours? I'd say undeniably so. It's deeper anyway, with better quality on the bench.

Also, people forget: Rafa may or may not be lending to our current run of form, or indeed over the years in the league, with his own mistakes. If he walks, and someone else comes in, then you still have Parry behind the scenes and that to me is a far bigger issue, because no matter who comes in, he and the rest of his cronies will always be there making sure things are going to go t*ts up come the transfer windows.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:15 am

i can understand why some of you go on about parry and the owners, personally i feel it shifts the blame from rafa, but at the end of the day rafa has what he has, whether they are his first choices or not, the fact is that he does not use what he has for the best, he nullifies what he has, he weakens what he has. the blame for this can not be aimed at parry or the owners, the blame for failure on the pitch based on selection, negativity or tactics lies firmly at rafas door.

lets not pretend it comes down to money, if it was based purely on the cost of the squad we would be beating the likes of stoke and wigan, football is not based on this guys, its based on the way the team play, who is selected etc etc etc
112-1077774096

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:25 am

Emerald Red wrote:I've a question:

How many of you think that with the squad Chelsea have, if Rafa took over there, would he win the league with them? Is their squad better than ours? I'd say undeniably so. It's deeper anyway, with better quality on the bench.

Also, people forget: Rafa may or may not be lending to our current run of form, or indeed over the years in the league, with his own mistakes. If he walks, and someone else comes in, then you still have Parry behind the scenes and that to me is a far bigger issue, because no matter who comes in, he and the rest of his cronies will always be there making sure things are going to go t*ts up come the transfer windows.

I don't think Rafa would Emerald. I think they might win the CL with Rafa though.

I think if Fegie took over Chelsea they would win the league, because he knows what it takes and how few mistakes you can afford to make in a long season if you are going to be there at the death. I don't believe Fergie is this genius manager, but I think over the years he has learned how to avoid certain pitfalls and mistakes.

The top and bottom of it for me is Rafa makes too many mistakes that cost points. In Spain maybe he could afford a few more mistakes, Madrid and Barca were both struggling at the time, the prem is very unforgiving, especially with the mancs being such a dominant force.
account deleted by request

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:25 am

peewee wrote:i can understand why some of you go on about parry and the owners, personally i feel it shifts the blame from rafa, but at the end of the day rafa has what he has, whether they are his first choices or not, the fact is that he does not use what he has for the best, he nullifies what he has, he weakens what he has. the blame for this can not be aimed at parry or the owners, the blame for failure on the pitch based on selection, negativity or tactics lies firmly at rafas door.

lets not pretend it comes down to money, if it was based purely on the cost of the squad we would be beating the likes of stoke and wigan, football is not based on this guys, its based on the way the team play, who is selected etc etc etc

I agree Many teams can play well above there squad value , we are playing atm well below ours.

Of course you can bang on about the manc's and how much money they have but truth be know they have a manager who knows this league inside out , he knows how to setup teams , how much respect to play to smaller clubs (which is fook all) , and how much to the bigger teams.

IF rafa was more agressive a lost a few he have my backing any day of week.

Fact is for what ever reason he dreams up in his head he feels you can win this league playing week in week out with 2 holding midfielders , I say dream on rafa you ain't got a clue.

I would even go as far as stoke at home 1 DM/holder midfielder is to many.

Also he would prob tell you if you asked him that alonso when played in that area is a deeper play maker of such , but tbh in prem if your play maker isn't in final 3rd 80-90% of time when you have the ball then there isn't much point having one ffs.
Last edited by LegBarnes on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion