The fullback situation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Bam wrote:
I agree. Supposedly the full-backs were going to supply the crosses, all Dossena has convinced me is he's useless defending, going forward and couldn't cross his legs properly let alone the ball. There's time for him to turn it around, however he is doing a good job of making Keane seem like good value for money - and that's saying something. Riera apart have any of the new signings justified their signing? (ignoring price tag, just done enough to make you think it was a good signing)

What worries me is the price tag, most expensive Liverpool defender ever and we got Dossena. And of course he can't improve as we've all been told, he's too old to get any better

Funny how you spent most of your time taking pot shots at Crouch yesteryear which was mostly unwarrated. Then argue and whinge with anyone who critises a very poor footballer in Kuyt. Now you've got the audacity to write Dossena off after a few games.

Stick to the stats lado.

What a load of utter tosh. I don't argue with everyone who criticises Kuyt, only those who claim he's :censored:. What Crouch has to do with anything is another matter, why drag him into it? No, don't answer that, I know why. It supposedly reinforces your point. I know your type, can't actually argue with a point so simply try to undermine it by dragging up irrelevancies and making derogatory comments.

PS I haven't written off Dossena, just expect a bit more for a record signing. Not that facts would ever make their way into your posts, "most of my time taking pot shots at Crouch" - you Bellend

Stick to writing tripe girlie. Sorry, my apologies you have!
Last edited by Owzat on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Scottbot wrote:I still can't see it with Dossena, the positives i mean. A couple of decent crosses and a few nice driven passes to switch play is about all I can think of to date although he does overlap which is useful (i nearly had a heart attack in the Houllier years when i saw a FB overlap so rare that it actually happened!). I don;t usually make my mind up on a player so quickly but he looks very suspect so far, he doesn't look comfortable on the ball, I don't think he moves so well (he's not a fluid player). He looks clumsy to me, he looks like he has a touch of the Traore about him (and that's never good!) in that he'll make a mistake and then run 40 yards and pull off a goal saving tackle to redeem himself. Time will tell. In the mean-time, please stay fit Fabio and how about a bid for Gareth Bale in the window? Or how about Wayne Bridge? I think i read that he has played just 7 mins in the Premiership this season? Surely not?

I think we should give the lad time to adapt , like i've said he needs a run of games , aurelio can't stay fit so yes i'd be happy with a bid for wayne bridge who is a excellent player , bale is unlikely as spurs will want silly money for him .

Yeah, the answer for all :censored: players.

Give them time. :D

:laugh:

Some get more time and chances than others. Rafa has not been afraid of ditching a player that hasn't worked out, I believe the average survival rate of players he has bought and since sold is around 1.5 seasons
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Not sure how any player can be written off after only playing a handful of games for the club - 5 i think he has played - same with degen who i think has only played a couple . They both may not be good enough for us but got to give them a chance to prove themselves - how long we give them i guess its debatable but after 7 games in prem ? too soon maybe ? esp when they havent played much so far . Some players start new careers at clubs off very well and hit the ground running - some do take a bit of time getting adjusted.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:19 pm

GYBS wrote:Not sure how any player can be written off after only playing a handful of games for the club - 5 i think he has played - same with degen who i think has only played a couple . They both may not be good enough for us but got to give them a chance to prove themselves - how long we give them i guess its debatable but after 7 games in prem ? too soon maybe ? esp when they havent played much so far . Some players start new careers at clubs off very well and hit the ground running - some do take a bit of time getting adjusted.

Perhaps I should refer people who clearly didn't read bigmick's closed thread to it, just because people say something negative about someone doesn't make him "written off". People seem to jump on the extremes, best player or worst player, love or hate. I have nothing against Dossena, he may yet "adapt", but the bottom line is you expect a bit more from an expensive signing and how many players are we to sign who are given grace of "time to adapt/settle in" ? I guess it's little different to those who want to give Rafa a couple of decades on the offchance he emulates fergie, albeit a different timescale. You pay good money, you expect quality not someone needing half a season to "settle in"
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:48 pm

Sorry mate - wasnt saying you had written him off - was more of a general statement as you do hear the odd people say he isnt good enough etc so writing him off straight away .

Does a player worth a bit more than other players mean they should settle quickly or hit the ground running ? Its swings and roundabouts really . We got lucky with torres who did hit the ground running but then look at agger who took half a season to get up and running or then ronaldo who took a while , nani as well - these players cost a fair bit .I think henry took a couple of months to get going .Masher didnt really get going till him came to us - same with tevez until xmas . Yeah 7 mil is expensive for us signing a defender but in the grand scheme of things he is pretty cheap compared to other fullbacks being signed by top clubs.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC Uber Elite Super Member » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:24 am

GYBS wrote:Yeah 7 mil is expensive for us signing a defender but in the grand scheme of things he is pretty cheap compared to other fullbacks being signed by top clubs.

Thats the problem there, we seem to always settle for the more affordable fullbacks (Josemi, Kromkamp, etc) who often dont make the grade and we end up flogging them off to the first buyer making big losses.
Last edited by LFC Uber Elite Super Member on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC Uber Elite Super Member

Postby GYBS » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 am

Yeah but isnt that down to lack of money overall ? could we really afford to spend the likes of 15 mil on a fullback ?

And not sure we have made many big losses so far .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:59 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Scottbot wrote:I still can't see it with Dossena, the positives i mean. A couple of decent crosses and a few nice driven passes to switch play is about all I can think of to date although he does overlap which is useful (i nearly had a heart attack in the Houllier years when i saw a FB overlap so rare that it actually happened!). I don;t usually make my mind up on a player so quickly but he looks very suspect so far, he doesn't look comfortable on the ball, I don't think he moves so well (he's not a fluid player). He looks clumsy to me, he looks like he has a touch of the Traore about him (and that's never good!) in that he'll make a mistake and then run 40 yards and pull off a goal saving tackle to redeem himself. Time will tell. In the mean-time, please stay fit Fabio and how about a bid for Gareth Bale in the window? Or how about Wayne Bridge? I think i read that he has played just 7 mins in the Premiership this season? Surely not?

I think we should give the lad time to adapt , like i've said he needs a run of games , aurelio can't stay fit so yes i'd be happy with a bid for wayne bridge who is a excellent player , bale is unlikely as spurs will want silly money for him .

Yeah, the answer for all :censored: players.

Give them time. :D

:laugh:

So all top players adapt immediately is that it stu? You're thick if you think that , cristiano took 2 seasons to get consistency into his game . 10 games played so far , i don;t think dossena has had much time to adapt or make a impact . How many games has he actually started?
Last edited by Toffeehater on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:05 pm

or fullbacks are nowhere near as bad as some people are making out, they could be better but they are coming in for alot of unfair critism....maybe some people just need something to be negative about??

but we have some very talented young fullbacks like insua, darby and that michael scott looks very impressive so maybe these playes could be put in??

imho opinion i rate arebola and think hes in great form and dossena shows signs that MAYBE once hes settled could be the answer

but at the moment we are playing well and winning games so i say get off their backs and be happy :)
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:36 am

Actually thought Dossena had one of his best games for us last night. Got forward well and looked defensively sound aswell.

Arbeloa on the other hand had an absolute mare. His positioning was all over the place. Simao had nobody within ten yards of him for the goal. Their disallowed goal was exactly the same, as was the Simao chance which Reina tipped onto the post. Mind you it didn't help that Yossi gave him no protection down that flank whatsoever.

The defence in general were far too deep in the second half and we were asking for trouble having cantered through the first.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:03 pm

I was thinking that if we had gotten a 2nd, (and if there were no injury problems) we would have put Darby on for Arbeloa
JoeTerp

Postby DanAn » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:48 am

RedBlood wrote:or fullbacks are nowhere near as bad as some people are making out, they could be better but they are coming in for alot of unfair critism....maybe some people just need something to be negative about??

but we have some very talented young fullbacks like insua, darby and that michael scott looks very impressive so maybe these playes could be put in??

imho opinion i rate arebola and think hes in great form and dossena shows signs that MAYBE once hes settled could be the answer

but at the moment we are playing well and winning games so i say get off their backs and be happy :)

I agree our fullback are copping more than their fair share particularly in a time when we are dominating the Prem. However if you were to rank our starting lineup from best to worst then I think just about everybody would have our fullbacks bringing up the rear by some margin.

The weakest players in the team are always going to be on the receiving end of over the top criticism. Talk of signing a LB is way to premature as well. We just signed Dossena, he deserves 12 months before we look to replace him and Aurelio has preformed respectably.

I'd love to see us sign a quality RB in January though. Arbeloa is doing his job but if he goes down with a long term injury we are in a spot of bother with Degen looking suspect in terms of durability. Love the look of Darby but he's not ready for Champion's League or other big games.
DanAn

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:26 am

As far as I'm concerned, if Aurelio could keep himself fit for more than five minutes at a time, he'd first choice left back every day of the week.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 pm

does anyone think Aurelio was being wary and conservative in the chelsea game? cause i recall Gerrard had to motion for him to actually get forward and attack so he could pass the ball which eventually went out for a throw in. ???
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:18 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:does anyone think Aurelio was being wary and conservative in the chelsea game? cause i recall Gerrard had to motion for him to actually get forward and attack so he could pass the ball which eventually went out for a throw in. ???

No.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion