The fernando torres thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LegendKiller » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:52 am

Hey,
Click Here to visit a forum for all football teams, and all football leagues, We also have staff positions and we need fans from all around the world, so no matter whom you support, this forum is for you..!
Thanks
LegendKiller
LegendKiller

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:27 am

red_guy wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:
red_guy wrote:Seriously, i don't expect him to be our magical , world class striker like rushie or robbie did. Just hope he can improve since we have a group of the best players in the league to assist him. Just wish that he's not going to be another Cisse....

I hope he does more than just that!

20+ million quid for only an improvement?

I shudder at the thought mate......
I'm expecting a lot more from him... if not this season than certainly the next.

Well, i actually expect something from him...high expectations? no, because his goalscoring record was not that good compared to Villa or Eto'o. And also this is his 1st time playing outside La Liga....straight to Premiership..which can cause lots of problems to  players from La Liga (adapting to the physical aspect of the league). I also agree with Sabre's previous comments about him...that's why i was a little shocked when we sign him for 20 M. Anyway, since we already signed him, the best thing to do is give him a 110% support. I wish to God that i was wrong about having a little doubt about his ability. Fernando Torres, make us proud.

Well said mate.....

I agree with the sentiments and while I don't feel that he'll score 20 odd goals, I certainly hope that he'll be able to add more impetus and flair to our attack which sorely needs it. If he gets 10-15 goals this season and improves our attacking balance thus enabling more goals to rain in from other parts of the field, then he'd have been a success in my book.
ConnO'var

Postby red_guy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:44 am

ConnO'var wrote:
red_guy wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:
red_guy wrote:Seriously, i don't expect him to be our magical , world class striker like rushie or robbie did. Just hope he can improve since we have a group of the best players in the league to assist him. Just wish that he's not going to be another Cisse....

I hope he does more than just that!

20+ million quid for only an improvement?

I shudder at the thought mate......
I'm expecting a lot more from him... if not this season than certainly the next.

Well, i actually expect something from him...high expectations? no, because his goalscoring record was not that good compared to Villa or Eto'o. And also this is his 1st time playing outside La Liga....straight to Premiership..which can cause lots of problems to  players from La Liga (adapting to the physical aspect of the league). I also agree with Sabre's previous comments about him...that's why i was a little shocked when we sign him for 20 M. Anyway, since we already signed him, the best thing to do is give him a 110% support. I wish to God that i was wrong about having a little doubt about his ability. Fernando Torres, make us proud.

Well said mate.....

I agree with the sentiments and while I don't feel that he'll score 20 odd goals, I certainly hope that he'll be able to add more impetus and flair to our attack which sorely needs it. If he gets 10-15 which sorely needs it. If he gets 10-15 goals this season and improves our attacking balance thus enabling more goals to rain in from other parts of the field, then he'd have been a success in my book.

Same here, mate.  :nod
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:41 pm

Well said Redguy

Just read a 2 pages interview to Torres, in which you can see him in looking to the sea.

Not a very interesting interview and quite typical responses. Here is what he says:

* He says there's not one but many reasons to come to Liverpool. For him the confidence of the coach is very important and he was called b Rafa as early as in February and he was asked whether he wanted to be THE striker of Liverpool. He feels he has Rafa's confidence.

* He says that there's no comparison between Liverpool and any Spanish team, he says that Liverpool is the biggest club of England.

* His english is very basic and is already taking lessons, with his level he's able to understand Rafa's technical speechs. He anyway thinks that the best way to learn english is as he lives there day by day (Which I agree) and he admits to be struggling a bit with the different accent of Liverpool.

* He's absolutelly thrilled with the club. He's happy at Liverpool city, he says it's untrue what some people say about not being able to do much things of fun in England (whoever said that), and he says Liverpool is an interesting city despite not being as big as Madrid.

* He's very happy with the fan's attitude. He's surprised that unlike in Spain, he's very respected when he walks there, he says that fans salute him, but never bother him. He highlights the respect that fans show when approaching him. He knows the people expects much of him.

* He compares the press too. he says how the training sessions are closed doors and there's no press nor fans in the training sessions. He says how there's not football newspapers that fill 40 pages a day, and he says the footie press is included within the general press, in 3 or 4 pages. (Personal note: the permanent closed doors in training sessions is something I'd regret here. You learn a lot of the team status, and you understand a lot of decissions that are taken in the weekend game)

* He likes the respect the managers have in England, unlike in Spain, where the players are the ones that are most praised. He's surprised of the power that the manager role have in England, and how the manager controls everything.

* He can't wait to face Chelsea game in Anfield road, and says to be especially motivated for that game (for some reason). He can't wait to play in Anfield, and in the mean time he's watching a lot of videos of it. He's been warned that no matter how many videos he watches, the real thing cannot be compared, it cannot be described the great atmosphere.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:55 pm

Don't get me wrong, Torres may take the next step in his career as Eto'o did when he moved from Mallorca. But I think this case this different, because of the way Barcelona play - a forward will obviously get more chances in their team and the philosophy is built around attacking.

Torres has gone from Atletico where he had to carry a large scoring burden and also create many of his own chances which he found difficult, and he is not coming to a team which will automatically play to his strengths of being a goalscorer week in week out. He will already find the premiership tougher than what he is used to, and we are not a creative team.

Babel, Benayoun, Voronin and Alonso really have to step up to the plate as well as 'creators' otherwise it will be same old, same old I fear.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby whylongball? » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:21 am

why is it that our team isnot creative? Not that i disagree with you...Just wonder... Big why?? We have all the best and creative players like SG, Alonso...So is it Rafa holding the players ' creative side? I want good football cum discipline(tactic)!!  :cool:
whylongball?

Postby RedBlood » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:57 am

whylongball? wrote:why is it that our team isnot creative? Not that i disagree with you...Just wonder... Big why?? We have all the best and creative players like SG, Alonso...So is it Rafa holding the players ' creative side? I want good football cum discipline(tactic)!!  :cool:

football cum  :wwww
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby GOAT » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:13 am

:D Bored so thought id drag this up. Loving reading through this ald thread, i especially like S@ints comment

I don't expect Torres to be our main striker, I am hoping that Benitez sees him more as the creative second striker that we have sorely missed, with Kuyt played further forward getting the bulk of the goals.

:D  :D  Go ed kuyt my son!! Pick up yer golden boot!!

Oh how wrong were some of us, i must say i was one of them
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby SupitsJonF » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:54 am

Sabre don't you support Spain?  Ever since the 2006 WC I knew Torres was going to be world class!  0 doubt in him at all, I remember in August I was mad at almost every LFC fan  :p   :D
SupitsJonF

Postby bigmick » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:59 am

bigmick wrote:I've not commented on the Torres thing because I've hardly seen the bloke play to be honest, although I do remember being quite impressed when he played for Spain a couple of times. The thing is with him, he is very highly regarded throughout Europe and relatively young so even if he "does a Morientes" I would have thought you would be looking at high teens at least as a sell-on. Given that, it doesn't look like so much of a gamble.
One last thing, does Torres mean Bull, or bully or something in Spain? I'd be a tad concerned if we were signing a bloke called Frankie Bull (I remember a bloke with a not disimilar name making the odd England appearance who was it's fair to say, somewhat limited as a player) but other than that I'm all for it. You would have thought he will play well with Crouch or Kuyt, and that Voronin fella can run around a bit so we should be sorted.

Incidently my prediction for the coming season is that Kuyt starts strongly and gets stronger. My hunch is he will leave the form of his first season way behind and score extremely regularly. If I know anything (and I know there's a distinct possibility that in fact I don't) he will become a really top player for Liverpool.

I was doing so well, why oh why did I have to put that last fecking paragraph in  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:38 pm

SupitsJonF wrote:Sabre don't you support Spain?  Ever since the 2006 WC I knew Torres was going to be world class!  0 doubt in him at all, I remember in August I was mad at almost every LFC fan  :p   :D

Yes I do mate.

If I had to choose one player for a lone striker position in the Spanish Squad, I'd pick Torres now. Why? because he has earned the place in the pitch.

Just the same reason why I wouldn't pick him for the position in 2006, he didn't do enough in the league.

If you look upper, in my previous posts, I DO say that it's a pleasure to watch him play, I never said he's cack. But the problem is we needed a 30 goal striker, and he never managed to reach anywhere near those numbers. Thus, my worries.

But, Rafa was spot on, Torres has been fantastic, and I'm happy  with him.  :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:07 pm

babu wrote:Hey conno'var. I think he may be bitter. basically he is saying Torres act's world-class, has an attitude of a world class player, has a following like a world-class player, BUT he is not world-class. and we will see it when he plays.

:D  :D

I admit i said the samething
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Didn't see this anywhere else but in case you haven't heard. Torres got injured (ankle).  SSN reported that he may be out of the Euro's

F**king b0ll0x. I just hope it's not serious  :(

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby GRAHAM01 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:28 pm

did hear about it but i heard that it wasn't that bad and that he should be fine for the euros, it was just a knock

i hope so any way
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:32 pm

I've resisted the urge to comb back through the thread and read whatever bollox I posted last summer. :D  What is interesting is the date the thread was started.  As I recall, there was a lot of frustration at the start of the transfer season last year that we weren't signing anyone of quality.  By the end of June, though, we were on the verge of signing a lad who's turned out to be the most sensational striker in world football, at the moment.  Hopefully this summer follows a similar trajectory (although the Euros may gum up the works on that front a bit) with a similar outcome. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion