The european cup. - Not the champions league.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Mon May 09, 2005 9:17 pm

Arsene is sour because if we win the CL and UEFA seed us for next years competition, it means the gooners have to play the qualifying rounds...more incentive for us to beat Milan :laugh:
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 09, 2005 9:58 pm

I think most poeple agree that the old format was in many ways better. The fact UEFA elected to keep the name 'Champions League' once they decided to let in the 2nd placed teams seemed dumb but i doubt they will ever change baring in mind the strong brand they have created.

I always like the old system because it was a real achievement winning any of the 3 cups. The UEFA Cup is now viewed as the Mickey Mouse Cup of Europe where once it was arguably harder to win than the European Cup (the chances of meeting one of the big teams from a major European League as opposed to one of the minnows were higher). Just look at our triumph in 2000 - We had to beat Olympiakos, Barca and Roma along the way, nowadays your more likely to play Brondby, Helsinborg and Vladikavkaz.

For years the big clubs talked about a break-away European League (even advocating dumping the domestic leagues). The Chamions League is simply a trade off and pretty much the only way to stop this from happening. I still prefer the old system though.

The UEFA Cup is now going the same way and i guess you could say that is becoming Euro League 2.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue May 10, 2005 12:48 am

stu_the_red wrote:Leon, you can get the final these days without playing a team thats won anything...

The point is, it should only ever be the league WINNERS and champions league WINNERS that qualify.

Out of the league and euro cup, i'd rather win the league if i'm honest.

Before the changes were made, you'd have to win the league to be in the euro cup, so at that point i'd have rather won the europian cup.

i'd throw in the FA cup, Copa Del Rey etc winners also, that would encourage the top clubs to play their best teams every game, and really bring back the good old days of the FA Cup.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue May 10, 2005 4:28 am

Uefa maps out how the competition is won ,thats not our fault they stipulate that the top four teams from England qualify for the CL.
Dont let the likes of Wenger ,other managers and the media cloud our judgement over it .
By saying its been devalued, they would all love to be in our shoes .
We are in the final and rightly so .
ps if Houllier had taken us to the final would his good friend Wenger still be spouting the same $hit.
66-1112520797

Postby Santa » Tue May 10, 2005 4:45 am

when Madrid won the cup anf finished 5th domestically, did anyone say they are less worthy a champion because they sucks back home?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matt74 » Tue May 10, 2005 7:42 pm

Although it isn't strictly the champions anymore i would say there there could be even more prestige in winning it. there are more games against alot of good opposition. any team that gets to the final deserves to be there. Wenger is jealous and needs to be taught a bit of respect, we should parade the trophy around highbury next season to shut him up. :angry:
“If you are in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put
it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” Bob Paisley
matt74

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion