The current situation - From my point of view

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:13 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:Stu mate that is one of the best posts i have read on here for a long time.

We have improved imo about 20 % with Stevie on the right and have so much more attacking threat with the way he interchanges with Harry Kewell.

Sissoko has been a good find but his passing has been erratic and although it will improve i would be just as happy if we signed another centre mid as i would with a right midfielder coming in.
I think at this time Steven Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world on current form, for what he offers the team he is in a different league to the massively over-rated Lampard.

Ace, do us a favour mate, don't mention Gerrard and Lamplard in the same scentance. :)

To be fair to Lampard, he's a really good player. Good alround with a truely world class shot on him. However there are players in the league on the same level in terms of ability and what they can give, Parker, Barton, Gilberto Silva, etc etc.

I watched a bit of Sunderland Chelsea on Sunday and if i am honest Lampard must have had about 4 shots in the time i was watching it (about 10-15 minutes).
He is the most selfish greedy player i have seen, there was one shot from about 35-40 yards out when there was duff peeling off to the left, robben to the right and with Crespo making a clever run in behind the centre halves.
It p@ssed me right off and i would hate to play in the same team as him.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:19 pm

Think it's also evident now that Stevie G is enjoying playing on the right wing. He is playing with a smile on his face and looks to be truly enjoying the new found freedom of playing wide right. He also pops up wide left from time to time. He can destroy (and currently is) teams as they don't know how to play him/pick him up.

I think what this thread is showing is that we are not reliant on Gerrard in the middle of the park as we have an excellent central midfielder (I believe the best in the land) in Alonso. He really has stepped up to the mic this season. This makes Rafa's job easier.   :D
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:30 pm

on the alonso topic its significant that whenever benitez needs to change or enforce anything its alonso he chooses to have a long discussion with. despite gerrard being captain he knows that alonso is the one who is going to be effectice in dictating how the game is played.

and regarding gerrard,its down to a matter of definitions as to where we could say he's playing. maybe on the team sheet he's out right and he has a responsibility to make sure he provides width out there, but with the way that finnan is overlapping more and more its the freedom to roam that is seeing him at his most effective.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:44 pm

good post stu. what a time to be a liverpool fan eh?

we've exceeded my expectations so far this season which is great credit to the manager and the players at the club. we are currently 12 points better off than we were at this stage last season and haven't lost a domestic game since october.

i fully believe that we have the best manager in the world and i still fully believe that we will go desperately close to winning the premiership next season. benitez started by making us solid defensively and has now assembled the only midfield that is capable of challenging chelsea's.

2nd in the league is there for the taking this season and i expect us to get to the CL semi's at least.  :cool:
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Dundalk » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:40 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:Stu mate that is one of the best posts i have read on here for a long time.

We have improved imo about 20 % with Stevie on the right and have so much more attacking threat with the way he interchanges with Harry Kewell.

Sissoko has been a good find but his passing has been erratic and although it will improve i would be just as happy if we signed another centre mid as i would with a right midfielder coming in.
I think at this time Steven Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world on current form, for what he offers the team he is in a different league to the massively over-rated Lampard.

Ace, do us a favour mate, don't mention Gerrard and Lamplard in the same scentance. :)

To be fair to Lampard, he's a really good player. Good alround with a truely world class shot on him. However there are players in the league on the same level in terms of ability and what they can give, Parker, Barton, Gilberto Silva, etc etc.

I watched a bit of Sunderland Chelsea on Sunday and if i am honest Lampard must have had about 4 shots in the time i was watching it (about 10-15 minutes).
He is the most selfish greedy player i have seen, there was one shot from about 35-40 yards out when there was duff peeling off to the left, robben to the right and with Crespo making a clever run in behind the centre halves.

Lampard was shooting a lot but in the spurs game Gerrard was at the same crack, everytime he got the ball within 40 yards of goal he was shooting.

Greedy? maybe. But if you dont shoot you wont score, Lampard is second top scorer in the EPL and gerrard has 15 goals so far this season, thats what it is all about
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:16 am

LiverpoolMadman

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:23 am

Goddammit stu - can't you see there are dozens of threads about Gerrard? :p

Seriously though, good assessment.

Even if we don't sign anyone else in the window, one thing that is really starting to get interesting is what's happening at Chelsea. There is clearly dissatisfaction in their squad, and it's obvious that they've made countless big money signings that they're going to make a significant loss on.

Fine, they'll probably canter to the title, and they can afford anyone they want. But who the hell would want to go there? If you want to play football week in, week out, not as many people as their league (and financial) position would suggest. Some of the names at their club that have played less than 10 games in all competitions this season just beggar belief, and I think there'll be a lot of people banging on Maureen's door come summer wanting to leave.

On the flipside, we've not got masses of money to play with at the moment, but we're an attractive proposition. The squad is strong, but still with plenty of scope for improvement. The manager is first class, the fans are first class, we're good to watch, and we're performing to such a high level in the Prem and the CL that we're attracting neutrals week in, week out.

It's absolutely thrilling. The way we're playing at the moment, last season's Champions League win doesn't feel like a one-off, and I can see a lot more silverware coming the club's way in the next few years.
ivor_the_injun

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:00 am

I can see a lot more silverware coming the club's way in the next few years.

You want to see more silverware next year ? I think we can win at least 1 or 2 silverware this year .

From what i see if Liverpool give more than 100% each every game, we can win :

Champions of League Cup or FA CUP
Runner-up in EPL .
Defend our Title in CL ( I hope so )
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:23 am

Dundalk wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

Lampard was shooting a lot but in the spurs game Gerrard was at the same crack, everytime he got the ball within 40 yards of goal he was shooting.

Greedy? maybe. But if you dont shoot you wont score, Lampard is second top scorer in the EPL and gerrard has 15 goals so far this season, thats what it is all about

You sound like Andy Gray with his if you dont buy a ticket you wont win the raffle shout. :D
But i disagree, and in my post i made an example of why, there are times when the shot is on and i can see why players are trying long range attempts.
But not EVERY time he is in the opponents half in more than 3 yards of space, that is greedy and it is also predictable.
I am not questioning Lampards goalscoring abilities but there are times when attacks break down because of his poor awareness.
You are right about Gerrard he was doing a similar thing against Spurs, FWIW i think that was due to the fact that we were struggling to create many chances.
Alot of players looked tired and Tottenham were keeping alot of possesion.
Lampard is bound to score 20 a season if he has about 8-10 shots in every match, we all know he is a top striker of the ball, i am just questioning is all round game and awareness.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:58 am

Is this post about comparing Lampard and SG or SG playing on the right Midfield ???

1) If you compare SG and Lampard, they have plus and minus points but I prefer SG because he can play everywhere.

2) SG playing in the RM, but who going to play in the CM with Alonso? I also know that we have some players that can play in CM such as Hamman and Sissoko but Hamman too old and Sissoko too young ( Always get yellow card )

I guess that will be a plan B if Rafa could not get RM. There are some players who can play in CM and as good as SG . These are some players (CM) that I would like to see in LIverpool if Rafa cannot get RM:

Ballack ( Free but maybe his wage too high)
Guti ( Cheap but Bad doing business with Real MadSh*t)
Tim Cahill ( Good player but from NEverton )
Steed Malbranque ( Good player but always get injure )
Morten Gamst Pedersen ( Good players, cheap but light weight )
Rafael Van der Vaart ( Good Player but expensive )
Owen Hargreaves ( English, but is he the right player ? )
Sebastian Deisler  ( Good Player but expensive )
LiverpoolMadman

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:17 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Is this post about comparing Lampard and SG or SG playing on the right Midfield ???

1) If you compare SG and Lampard, they have plus and minus points but I prefer SG because he can play everywhere.

and fat lamapard cant tackle. he cant. he is so intent on playing evey game that he hasnt actually put his foot in in about 3 years.

Stevie g every time. Everyone in the world knows it.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:24 pm

Good thread.
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:28 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Good thread.

:sleep
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:34 pm

Just dragging the decent threads to the top Dawson, out of the top 9 when i came on this morning 7 were a joke.
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:37 pm

oh, lol, thought it was a bout of sarcasm...lol
good idea :)
i was wondering why the few threads i actually liked had u saying good thread
(and me being paranoid thought by good u meant bad)

better make soem sense now before the thread does turn bad.
has anyone else noticed the tacjkle rate of fat lampard being real poor?
its when u judge lamps and stevie together, u realise what a pu$$y lamps really is when it coes to getting stuck in
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion