The current situation - From my point of view

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:42 pm

It's a cracking post Stu. When Stevie was first moved out on to the right he stated that he was doing it for the team and was happy to muck in untill a new RM was shipped in. He repeated this a few times but i haven't heard him talk about his desire to get back in the middle just recently and wonder if he is really warming to the freedom the new role has given him.

I've got mixed views on his best position. I love the way he is popping up all over the place right now and it must be a nightmare for full-backs to settle with Stevie swapping flanks with Garcia and more recently Kewell for ten minute spells each game. Having the captain on the right certainly gives us a lot of fluidity and appears to bringing the best out of Finnan in an attcking sense. However, there have also been a few occasions when we haven't got hold of the game and Stevie has been marginalised out on the right unable to get into the game. During the first half against Luton i was screaming for Stevie to be moved inside because (the goal aside) he wasn't seeing enough of the ball.

I see Alonso has got a lot of credit this thread and several posters point out that his performances have allowed the boss to move Stevie out wide. We certainly play with a lot more width when Xabi is in the team but i feel Sissoko is perhaps the real reason Gerrard can play on the right (and wherever else he wonders) For me, Gerrards biggest assets in the middle of the park are his energy, his tackling, the drive and his prescence. Any team would miss those assets but our Momo pretty much matches the captains workrate and he tackles as ferociously (and as clumsily!) as the captain did when he was the same age.

I notice the press don't seem to be linking us with too many right-wingers since all the Simao talk has died down so maybe the boss has decided to keep the captain on the right for the time being. As for England, i'm sure we all know Sven's team (it pretty much never changes) but maybe he will have a look at Gerrard on the right with Beckham's considerably slower legs in the middle of the park?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:47 pm

id stick lamps and parker in the middle with stevie on the right personally, but thats not liverpool talk
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:54 pm

dawson99 wrote:
LiverpoolMadman wrote:Is this post about comparing Lampard and SG or SG playing on the right Midfield ???

1) If you compare SG and Lampard, they have plus and minus points but I prefer SG because he can play everywhere.

and fat lamapard cant tackle. he cant. he is so intent on playing evey game that he hasnt actually put his foot in in about 3 years.

Stevie g every time. Everyone in the world knows it.

dunno about that , he stuck it in when Alonso  was in the way ....the fat Rick with a silent P

Yeah great thread too
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:55 pm

dawson99 wrote:id stick lamps and parker in the middle with stevie on the right personally, but thats not liverpool talk

Thats because you're clueless. :D

Owen,  Rooney
Barry, Gerrard, Parker, Beckham
Cole,   Terry, Ferdinand, Neville
              Robinson
Subs:
Kirkland
Woodgate
Campbell
J.Cole
Lampard
Defoe
Ashton

But as you said, thats another topic! :p
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:58 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
dawson99 wrote:id stick lamps and parker in the middle with stevie on the right personally, but thats not liverpool talk

Owen,  Rooney
              Robinson
Subs:
Kirkland
Woodgate
Campbell
J.Cole
Lampard
Defoe
Ashton

yours is almost as good as mine. u have to admit tho, fat lampard does get the goals and when going forward is a threat. and stvie gets more freedom on the right, and with ugger nev behind him he knows hes good for cover
(wigan chairman has just asked sven to be sacked, with pearce and jewell to jointly take over)

but that isnt for this thread  :eyebrow
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:02 pm

dawson99 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

Owen,  Rooney
              Robinson
Subs:
Kirkland
Woodgate
Campbell
J.Cole
Lampard
Defoe
Ashton

yours is almost as good as mine. u have to admit tho, fat lampard does get the goals and when going forward is a threat. and stvie gets more freedom on the right, and with ugger nev behind him he knows hes good for cover
(wigan chairman has just asked sven to be sacked, with pearce and jewell to jointly take over)

but that isnt for this thread  :eyebrow

Correct... back to the topic! :D
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:07 pm

lampards fatter than stevie, and slower. stevie is class on the right and puts his foot in. end of. :cool:
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:10 pm

As much as it may hurt me to have to say it, great post Stu, there I said it, it wasn't so bad.

However there is one point you've made that really sticks in my throat. How you can say Gerrard can't dictate the pace of a game is beyond me. You obviously from previous posts go to games so can you honestly tell me you've never looked on in awe from the stand and watched Stevie drag the team forward almost single handedly when we've looked to be struggling.
Stevie has the ability possibly more than any modern day ball-winning midfielder in football to grab a game by the scruff of its neck and change the momentum of a game.

Other than that Stu, I make you spot on. I'd join you in a "walk on" any day!

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:23 pm

thegreedo wrote:As much as it may hurt me to have to say it, great post Stu, there I said it, it wasn't so bad.

However there is one point you've made that really sticks in my throat. How you can say Gerrard can't dictate the pace of a game is beyond me. You obviously from previous posts go to games so can you honestly tell me you've never looked on in awe from the stand and watched Stevie drag the team forward almost single handedly when we've looked to be struggling.
Stevie has the ability possibly more than any modern day ball-winning midfielder in football to grab a game by the scruff of its neck and change the momentum of a game.

Hey Greedo,

I think what Stu means is that Gerrard is not the sort of player to strut about that middle third, always available, always in space without actually seeming to break a sweat, getting the ball and giving it, everything running through him. And he's right. Gerrard isn't that sort of player. He doesn't dominate in that sort of way but i think Stu has a lot of admiration for players that can do this and sometimes that has led him to (incorrectly in my opinion) proclaim that Alonso is a better player than Gerrard.

Gerrard regularly dominates games. He just does it in a very different way. Where as Xabi can run a game with his intelligent use of the ball, sublime passing, tactical awareness and subtle touches our Captain to quote Bigmick, is more like a stick of dynamite exploding all over the field, leading by example and dragging his teamates (and the crowd) kicking and screaming over the finish line.

You wouldn't swap him for ANYONE would you?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:36 pm

Scottbot wrote:
thegreedo wrote:As much as it may hurt me to have to say it, great post Stu, there I said it, it wasn't so bad.

Hey Greedo,

I think what Stu means is that Gerrard is not the sort of player to strut about that middle third, always available, always in space without actually seeming to break a sweat, getting the ball and giving it, everything running through him. And he's right. Gerrard isn't that sort of player. He doesn't dominate in that sort of way but i think Stu has a lot of admiration for players that can do this and sometimes that has led him to (incorrectly in my opinion) proclaim that Alonso is a better player than Gerrard.

Gerrard regularly dominates games. He just does it in a very different way. Where as Xabi can run a game with his intelligent use of the ball, sublime passing, tactical awareness and subtle touches our Captain to quote Bigmick, is more like a stick of dynamite exploding all over the field, leading by example and dragging his teamates (and the crowd) kicking and screaming over the finish line.

Good point Scottbot mate, however if I accept it fully it would mean agreeing with Stu completely and I'm not sure I could ever forgive myself if I did that!!! :D

Anyway you're quite right, I wouldn't swap him for anyone. I quite simply believe he is one of the few players in football today who are truly irreplaceable.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:36 pm

I wouldn't fret too much about who's better out of Stevie and Xabi - bottom line is that we've got them both, and no f*cker else can have them. :D

The particularly good thing about Stevie, which is probably a curse to him as much as it's a blessing to Rafa and Sven, is that he is so adaptable. Even played for a few games at right back he'd probably end up being up in the top 10 in the Prem in that position.

F*ck it, I bet he's not bad between the sticks either. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby Archetype » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:44 pm

stu_the_red wrote:To be honest, at the start of this season i didn't know what to expect. I'd seen my team win the biggest prize in world football, i'd seen them lift the champions league trophy. Two of the best days of my life. However i also saw one of the worst league campaignes i've seen for a good 10 years or so. We looked disorganised at times and we often didn't look like a team capable of doing anything.

During the summer i expected a centre half and a right winger, we signed Zenden (a left winger) and Sissoko a centre mid. We got the goalkeeper we needed, i didn't personally think Reina was the answer, to be honest, i've never been a great judge of keepers, i was completely wrong and am happy about that. However, what i did want to see was at LEAST cover for Sami and Jamie and a quality winger.

I also believed Crouchie wasn't what we need, even though i rated him i didn't see how he'd fit in. I didn't realise he'd bring the best out of Gerrard and again on that front its hats off to Rafa.

We started the season early in Europe against some poor opposition which we struggled against in a couple of games. To be fair, a lack of sharpness had something to do with it.

Then came the first league game against Boro. To be honest i didn't know what to expect. The game itself was a strange one, i can't remember a Liverpool team that had so many clear cut chances in one game yet failed to score. Straight away the problem was the lack of goals. Defensively we didn't conceed a chance i don't think and we completely dominated the game. That pattern then went into the Sunderland, Spurs and Man Utd games. However i was wetting myself with anticipation as i could see a team that was completely dominating games and creating loads of chances.

Then came a small bad run consisting of Palace, Fulham and Chelsea. We looked woeful and deservedly got stick, however some of it was over the top. The amount of doom merchants that came out was astonishing. I then posted a thread saying i couldn't see much wrong, i thought we were one right winger away from being able to consistently challenge Chelsea. We then hit form, partially down to Gerrard playing out wide, but mainly down to the team playing as a unit, playing to there ability levels and looking like a TEAM as apose to 11 individuals.

This brings me to my next point, we're now in January after an excellent run, the centre half we wanted is now here, although we don't yet know his quality its a relief knowing that we don't have to use Traore if Sami or Jamie get unlucky with injury or suspension, however we still lack that right winger... Or do we? Now, many will scoff at this as its insane to suggest this, but maybe Steven Gerrard's best position is EXACTLY where he is now. I've seen the lad countless times against the likes of Vieira, Keane etc. He's having his best season he's ever had for us playing on the wing. He simply doesn't have Keane or Vieira's or even Alonso's for that matter, tactical ability. He can't dictate games consistently. However, where he's currently playing, he doesn't have to. He is always an inspiration to the side with his drive and alround game, yet sometimes he can be ineffective playing in the middle in that he can look good without being productive.

Look at him internationally, he's played his best games outside the middle of the park, its strange to suggest this i know, i've thought about it alot myself, i'm not saying i definately believe this, but the performances of him and the team certainly back up this arguement.

Is it really a right winger we need or a central midfielder? I mean can you imagine Ballack in there with Alonso, Gerrard and Kewell? Mouth watering. What i like about Gerrard out wide is he does everything from that position, lets Xabi dictate the game, Finnan provides the width and he seems to cover more than one position. He's also a massive goal threat out there, more so than when he plays centrally.

We aren't far away from Chelsea, infact i think if we had a top class striker in this current side with another quality centre mid to partner Alonso we'd keep the balance and we'd be a better team. What i'm scared of is moving Gerrard centrally and losing the balance we clearly possess at the minute. We need another striker, my instinct would be one with pace to use an option, but the most important thing is ability. I mean, Fowler for example, i'd love to see him brought back, he has the quality to link up with others and score goals.

Can we Challenge Chelsea? This season? No, we can't to be fair. Well, nothing is impossible, but its unlikely. Can we send out a statement to the premier league and Chelsea that we will be serious contenders next season, to be honest, i think we already have. For me, we're now ahead of Manchester United and Arsenal despite what fools like Charlie "i don't know what i'm talking about" Nicholas say.

Jose Mourinho has ALOT of respect for our club, manager and players. He knows Chelsea aren't going to have it all there own way despite there money. Mourinho knows that if Chelsea do slip up, we won't. That pressure will force them to slip up at some point, maybe not this year... but it will happen. Mourinho is a world class manager, one of the top 3 or 4 in the world, however i believe we have THE best.

Liverpool will continue to improve over this season and next... the question is, will Chelsea? I genuinely believe we'll see two equal sides next season, the season after, regardless of their money and financial clout, i believe we'll overtake them.

YNWA!

Great post! Enjoyed readin' it! :) & totally agree with it! :D
Archetype

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:20 pm

Scottbot wrote:

Hey Greedo,

Spot on. To be fair, I said Alonso was better last year. He was, not in terms of ability, I've never said that and never will. But in terms of performances and what he brings to the team. Steven is bringing what he can now to the side. Last year he let us all down in more games than he should have.

Now they are equally as important. Gerrard has the more alround ability. However i feel Xabi has the greater influence on play in general and the team. Unless of course we are looking to get into a game or need to be lifted by a player.

Both have there plus points.
115-1073096938

Postby Jari's mullet » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:44 pm

I don't think that Gerrard's best position is on the right, but I think our best player on the right is Gerrard.  I think we have enough in the middle to be able to play him out there for the good of the team.  As others have said previously, this does present good balance to the team with Kewell operating on the other side.  On saturday against Spurs, every time he got the ball out wide, it looked like things were about to happen, he drove forward, taking on players to reach the byline.  However it was noticable that he was more influencial when he swapped with Sissoko in the later period of the 2nd half, just purely for the fact that he saw more of the ball.  It is good for Rafa to have this option if things are not going to plan.

Regarding Gerrard not really being able to dictate play from the middle, I do agree.  He influences but doesn't dictate.  My theory is that if you look at the likes of Alonso, a young Keane or Viera, they seem to have the ability when things are going badly to feel their way into games.  Although all have the ability to play the long killer pass, primarily they seem most concerned with keeping the game ticking over, and retaining possesion which usually consists of short simple balls.  The only slight criticism I have of Gerrard is that he does seem to look for a long killer pass a little bit too often, which doesn't always find its intended recipient, thus surrendering possesion, more than the likes of Alonso, etc.
Jari's mullet

Postby Jari's mullet » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:55 pm

However that said, the others don't have the combined drive, power and raw agression that Stevie has.

I am sorry I didn't read all the other posted comments before replying, but I am pretty much repeating what someone was saying that Gerrard just simply isn't the type of player to run a game from the centre circle, without covering considerable distance (Molbyesque).  Gerrard to influences a game by posessing the ability to drag the team through with his drive, determination and aggression.
Jari's mullet

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion