The current situation - From my point of view

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:29 am

To be honest, at the start of this season i didn't know what to expect. I'd seen my team win the biggest prize in world football, i'd seen them lift the champions league trophy. Two of the best days of my life. However i also saw one of the worst league campaignes i've seen for a good 10 years or so. We looked disorganised at times and we often didn't look like a team capable of doing anything.

During the summer i expected a centre half and a right winger, we signed Zenden (a left winger) and Sissoko a centre mid. We got the goalkeeper we needed, i didn't personally think Reina was the answer, to be honest, i've never been a great judge of keepers, i was completely wrong and am happy about that. However, what i did want to see was at LEAST cover for Sami and Jamie and a quality winger.

I also believed Crouchie wasn't what we need, even though i rated him i didn't see how he'd fit in. I didn't realise he'd bring the best out of Gerrard and again on that front its hats off to Rafa.

We started the season early in Europe against some poor opposition which we struggled against in a couple of games. To be fair, a lack of sharpness had something to do with it.

Then came the first league game against Boro. To be honest i didn't know what to expect. The game itself was a strange one, i can't remember a Liverpool team that had so many clear cut chances in one game yet failed to score. Straight away the problem was the lack of goals. Defensively we didn't conceed a chance i don't think and we completely dominated the game. That pattern then went into the Sunderland, Spurs and Man Utd games. However i was wetting myself with anticipation as i could see a team that was completely dominating games and creating loads of chances.

Then came a small bad run consisting of Palace, Fulham and Chelsea. We looked woeful and deservedly got stick, however some of it was over the top. The amount of doom merchants that came out was astonishing. I then posted a thread saying i couldn't see much wrong, i thought we were one right winger away from being able to consistently challenge Chelsea. We then hit form, partially down to Gerrard playing out wide, but mainly down to the team playing as a unit, playing to there ability levels and looking like a TEAM as apose to 11 individuals.

This brings me to my next point, we're now in January after an excellent run, the centre half we wanted is now here, although we don't yet know his quality its a relief knowing that we don't have to use Traore if Sami or Jamie get unlucky with injury or suspension, however we still lack that right winger... Or do we? Now, many will scoff at this as its insane to suggest this, but maybe Steven Gerrard's best position is EXACTLY where he is now. I've seen the lad countless times against the likes of Vieira, Keane etc. He's having his best season he's ever had for us playing on the wing. He simply doesn't have Keane or Vieira's or even Alonso's for that matter, tactical ability. He can't dictate games consistently. However, where he's currently playing, he doesn't have to. He is always an inspiration to the side with his drive and alround game, yet sometimes he can be ineffective playing in the middle in that he can look good without being productive.

Look at him internationally, he's played his best games outside the middle of the park, its strange to suggest this i know, i've thought about it alot myself, i'm not saying i definately believe this, but the performances of him and the team certainly back up this arguement.

Is it really a right winger we need or a central midfielder? I mean can you imagine Ballack in there with Alonso, Gerrard and Kewell? Mouth watering. What i like about Gerrard out wide is he does everything from that position, lets Xabi dictate the game, Finnan provides the width and he seems to cover more than one position. He's also a massive goal threat out there, more so than when he plays centrally.

We aren't far away from Chelsea, infact i think if we had a top class striker in this current side with another quality centre mid to partner Alonso we'd keep the balance and we'd be a better team. What i'm scared of is moving Gerrard centrally and losing the balance we clearly possess at the minute. We need another striker, my instinct would be one with pace to use an option, but the most important thing is ability. I mean, Fowler for example, i'd love to see him brought back, he has the quality to link up with others and score goals.

Can we Challenge Chelsea? This season? No, we can't to be fair. Well, nothing is impossible, but its unlikely. Can we send out a statement to the premier league and Chelsea that we will be serious contenders next season, to be honest, i think we already have. For me, we're now ahead of Manchester United and Arsenal despite what fools like Charlie "i don't know what i'm talking about" Nicholas say.

Jose Mourinho has ALOT of respect for our club, manager and players. He knows Chelsea aren't going to have it all there own way despite there money. Mourinho knows that if Chelsea do slip up, we won't. That pressure will force them to slip up at some point, maybe not this year... but it will happen. Mourinho is a world class manager, one of the top 3 or 4 in the world, however i believe we have THE best.

Liverpool will continue to improve over this season and next... the question is, will Chelsea? I genuinely believe we'll see two equal sides next season, the season after, regardless of their money and financial clout, i believe we'll overtake them.

YNWA!
115-1073096938

Postby Mikz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:42 am

:bowdown Stu The red! Another top quality post !
Same fears too mate-about moving Gerrard back to the centre,its certainly not broken now so i hope he doesnt fix it.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:00 am

there's bits of your argument there where you nearly convince me about keeping gerrard out on the wing, stu. but i still reckon that an out and out wide midfielder / winger is going to make a hell of a difference with stevie back in the middle alongside alonso. i'm still not convinced by sissoko as a regular so i'd have alonso playing the role of dictating the game with stevie in a slightly freer role. one of the key successes of him being out on the right has been the movement and unpredictability of our shape going forward and even with a more 'traditional' winger i'd like to see him carry on roaming.

but i know this thread isn't to carry on that rightsidedwingergerrardsimaojoaquin debate. we're looking good and are one of two teams in the 'top four' who look like they're really getting somewhere. we're playing some great football at times and are building one hell of a fine squad of players.
Last edited by andy_g on Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:19 am

I said this a couple of weeks ago Stu, can't remember the thread. Can anybody think of a right-sided midfielder who is better than Gerrard? Pace, power, goalscoring, tackling all rolled into one. Also, with the fluidity that our system gives him he is able to drift about off the wing. It makes it a lot harder for parasitic little feckers like Makeleli to take him out of the game. Needless to say the idea got dismissed by people talking about Gerrards "natural position" being central midfield.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:24 am

Your speaking a lot of sense there Stu.Gerrards position is a difficult one though.Centre-mid is the most important position on the pitch.You mentioned Viera and Keane,i dont think its a coincidence their teams have struggled a bit since their departures.Centre-midfield is where you can control the pace and tempo of a game and both those players achieved that to a terrific extent.Its also the position where leadership comes to the fore,most team captains play there for good reason.Gerrard is doing a fine job out wide and Alonso,Sissoko are managing in the centre.Long term though,i reckon the most influential player,the leader..belongs in the middle.You mentioned Michael Ballack..signing him might just change my view though.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:38 am

wow stu whatever medication the Doctor is prescribing for you, keep taking it ! :p

Great post and good arguement re Gerrard. IMO it all depends on who we sign and how well they fit in, for the moment though I am happy that Rafa isn't tinkering as much as he used too. mainly because its working so well.

I am not so sure that if Chelsea stumble this season, we won't follow suit. This season's out for sure, IF we secure 2nd spot, which is a big IF, that would be a fantastic result. Before the 25th May 2005, any LFC fan and Rafa himself would have gladly taken second spot for this season. I like Rafa's buying policy, the slowly slowly approach. Next season I expect us to really put the pressure on Chelsea, that's when we will see how good Moanrinho really is. I have a good feeling that the majority of wanker's that is the chelsea team will crumble from the pressure.

Kept it up Rafa.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:42 am

greenred wrote:Your speaking a lot of sense there Stu.Gerrards position is a difficult one though.Centre-mid is the most important position on the pitch.You mentioned Viera and Keane,i dont think its a coincidence their teams have struggled a bit since their departures.Centre-midfield is where you can control the pace and tempo of a game and both those players achieved that to a terrific extent.Its also the position where leadership comes to the fore,most team captains play there for good reason.Gerrard is doing a fine job out wide and Alonso,Sissoko are managing in the centre.Long term though,i reckon the most influential player,the leader..belongs in the middle.You mentioned Michael Ballack..signing him might just change my view though.

Greenred, my point is mate, Gerrard doesn't "dictate" the pace of games. He never has to be honest. I can't quite put my finger on it why he can't and doesn't but he doesn't have a natural centre mid's dictating skills like Alonso, Keane or Vieira in my opinion. I don't know weather his passing isn't suited to it or the pace he plays the game is the only pace he can play at but i don't feel he does it. Not to that extent anyway.

I do however feel he leads the team and he certainly has an impact on us. As i said, its a very strange situation.

When playin centre mid in this system you need to show restraint and the ability to hold, while Gerrard has that, i feel his games about so much more. For me, a top class centre mid like Ballack, for example, someone who's tactically very good and superb on the ball aswell as can contribute defensively would make us not only physically an excellent side, but technically an excellent side aswell.

With players like Sissoko, Luis Garcia, Morientes, Pongolle and hopefully Agger and Kromkamp have quiality aswell i feel with the right two signings (a centre or right mid of the right quality and a striker) we'll be easily as good if not better than Chelsea.

Gerrard is better than anyone they have out wide on the right, Kewell is as good as Duff, Robben is class, Alonso is better than all three of Chelsea's midfielders.

I just hope when we play them, Rafa has the bottle to take them on with our game as apose to reverting to a 4-5-1. I think thats the next step for our team, to take the best teams on with our style and not change it to suit them. At the end of the day, we haven't got anything to lose as far as this season goes, if we lose away at Chelsea, so what. At least they we'll have an idea of how good our system is to theres. We'd still be in a good position if we don't get the points in that game.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:51 am

stu_the_red wrote:I just hope when we play them, Rafa has the bottle to take them on with our game as apose to reverting to a 4-5-1. I think thats the next step for our team, to take the best teams on with our style and not change it to suit them. At the end of the day, we haven't got anything to lose as far as this season goes, if we lose away at Chelsea, so what. At least they we'll have an idea of how good our system is to theres. We'd still be in a good position if we don't get the points in that game.

Good point then  :D  hopefully we may see some indication of that this weekend at the theatre of queens   :D
66-1112520797

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:01 am

:buttrock
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:14 am

stu_the_red wrote: :buttrock

With posts like that your ruining our forum  :D   :laugh:
66-1112520797

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:15 am

We've just ruined this thread! :laugh:
115-1073096938

Postby tel » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:44 am

Its a high quality thread.

But when we need a result or to change the game, Rafa tends to swing him back into the middle after bringing someone like Garcia on (Bolton game). Against Spurs, he swapped Sissoko onto the right and brough Gerrard back into the middle.

It seems to be working for us
tel

Postby ToTinho » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:14 am

Very good post Stu .. I agree with almost everything u mentioned specially by suggesting Ballack who is exactly what we need to complete what is the strongest midfield in EPL or maybe in Europe and another player i really like is Rosicky and could be a hell of a player with Alonso. A striker is also a must and i see the best options we can have are either Nihat or Darren Bent both quick , strong and intelligent . At last , i believe that we are 2 players short from completing what it is by far the best LFC team in may be 15 years .

YNWA :buttrock
ToTinho

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:36 am

Good points Stu.
I believe Gerrard is at his best when he's allowed to roam. I don't think we should say "right winger", or "CM". He's just a truely World class attacking midfielder who can excel in any position.

You talk about Ballack - f*ck me sideways with a frozen pork chop! If LFC signed him we would be f*cking unstoppable, and could quite possibly finish with a record number of points in a season.

Ballack is another truely World class midfielder, and the prospect of this team is mouthwatering:

(This, I believe is the only way the system would work.)

Reina

Finnan                               JC                Sami/Agger                               Riise

Alonso
                                         Ballack

Gerrard                                                          Kewell
                                                             Garcia
                                             Crouch.

Imagine if we could get a prolific striker to play alongside Crouch!!!!!!!!!

This team is enough to give you wet dreams! :D

That said though, the chances of us signing Ballack are slimmer than an Anorexic stick insect with a bad bout of diarrhoea.

A top-class right winger with the ability to track-back, tackle and score aswell as create is the only other viable option. The price would have to be reasonable so we should look for someone who has had a poor season by their standards, and someone who is dissillusioned by their current manager.

Vicente anyone?
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:43 am

BTW - I'd rather see Hamann in the middle than Sissoko.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion