The bargain basement sale.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:01 am

With the season nearly over and the teams heading for the drop what players would you like on the cheap from any of them. Or are they not good enough.

All in the relegation zone  Birmingham, West Brom, Portsmouth and Sunderland.

None from Sunderland and I think Le Tallec should seek pastures new.

Birmingham: Upson? Pennant?

West Brom: Zoltan Gera good to have has a squad player unfortunate injuries have kept him out most of the season, has talent and under Rafa could blossom.Kamara and Nathan Ellington also on the cheap.

Portsmouth: Lua Lua, Gary O'Neil? Rafa was reported to be interested in January.

Teams also not safe: Fulham and Aston Villa:

Fulham: Malbranque, Boa Morte.

Aston Villa: Dont think Id want anyone from there :D

And which players do you think Rafa will buy that are already in the prem, thoughts please guys ?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:11 am

If Pennant sorted his attitude out I'd take a gamble on him. TBH it wouldn't be that much of a gamble, as he'd cost no more than 5mn Id think.

He'd be excellent for us on the right, as he's a very talented young lad. It's really up to him if he wants to

a) Sort himself out and be a big star for a big club and play for England one day, or
b) Become a waster, i.e. a total waste of talent.

As for anyone else, I think with the signings of Agger, Kromkamp and Paletta, we're sorted defensively. Upson wouldn’t offer is anything IMO. Gera may be another we'd look at to play on the right, and Malbranque. Boa Morte is a very good player IMO but we have enough left sided players as is with Gonzalez coming.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:18 am

Pennant.

Though I dont see it really happening. :(

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/060312/4/hvcm.html
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flipmode » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:19 am

Dont really need Upson anymore with Agger and the Argie bloke signing, Pennant a definate though.  Malbranque a yes dont really need 0'neil though? With speedy coming next year.
ImageImageImageImage
flipmode
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:51 am

Pennant would be good to have. Lua-Lua - maybe. Had a good season considering he was fighting malaria in the beginning.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:57 am

Wouldnt mind angel from villa ???

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 am

Mathew Taylor at Portsmouth looks a good player, scores goals and can play anywhere on the left. I would take him for around a million.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:27 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Mathew Taylor at Portsmouth looks a good player, scores goals and can play anywhere on the left. I would take him for around a million.

He scored against us last season didn't he?

He looks a good player but I dunno if he's good enough for us Leon  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:58 am

The kid at Villa in midfield (Davis I think) will definately make a footballer IMHO. Pennant is one I've been converted to after being initially sceptical, while Zoltan Gera looks like a really good player just looking for a stage. If Pompey go down there are three or four of Redknapps men who are too good for the Championship, notably Mendez, O'Neill and Lua Lua. Whether any of them are good enough for Liverpool though is a moot point.
Probably Pennant and Gera are the two from the above who stand out. The other player of course who is extremely likely to make the step up to a big club before too much longer is the impressive young centre-half at WBA Curtis Davis. It was an extremely rare piece of astuteness on his part when Robson bought him from Luton.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:00 am

Pickings are pretty slim from down there, but Pennant's the obvious one.

It's a shame from our point of view that Boro have pulled away from the relegation dogfight, as players like Downing and Yakubu could've been real bargains if they'd gone down.
ivor_the_injun

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:22 am

Pennant has ability .He also , failed to make it at Arsenal, broke curfew when away with England U21 and has two drink driving offences and a spell in prison to add to his CV . I question his character . Wouldn't want him at our club .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby drummerphil » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:25 am

to be honest i cant say i fancy any of the players people have mentioned.If i ask myself would any of them improve us then it would have to be no...........
i.e....Pennant has been mentioned but i wouldnt want him in the same way i wouldnt have Diouf  Bellamy, or Lee Bowyer etc etc........would we really want an unsettled dressing room.....

As for Angel apart from one decent season he has looked no different than what Nando offers to be honest which is feck all......
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:25 am

woof woof ! wrote:Pennant has ability .He also , failed to make it at Arsenal, broke curfew when away with England U21 and has two drink driving offences and a spell in prison to add to his CV . I question his character . Wouldn't want him at our club .

i understand your sentiments woof but i will just say two names and ask whether you would want these men at the club.

big Jan and Tony Adams, both had spells in klink. i know pennant is not in the same class as these two but if he was would you overlook his history
112-1077774096

Postby 2520years » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:31 am

This is my humble assessment:

Don't need though he's a good player -
Malbranque
Gera
Gary O'Neil
Upson

Don't want because he's a loose cannon -
Pennant?

Not good enough for Liverpool -
Kamara
Nathan Ellington
Lua Lua
Boa Morte

Sorry to be negative, but if I had to take one it would be Malbranque.  He was easily their classiest player when we hammered them recently, and he's been consistently good for a long time now.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby RedWolf35 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:39 am

Ciggy

I'd take Pennant hands down

He's still a boy and we all made mistakes when we were young

He'll learn and what better place to do it

That boy is awesome and anyone that disagress is an idiot

Imagine what he will do under Rafa with Stevie, Carra, Didi, etc to ground him

Cantona, Ronaldo, Maradona etc all great players and all capable of the odd scandal but look at what they have brought their respective teams

:)
RedWolf35

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion