The bargain basement sale.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby iqbalharoon213 » Tue May 02, 2006 10:11 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
stmichael wrote:But yes, from what I have heard, contact has already been made with Birmingham regarding Pennant in the summer and we could well see him arrive for 3-4 million.

Having said what I just said above, if Pennant is available for this kind of money it becomes a no-brainer for me.  He would definitely strengthen the squad and give us more options (like playing Stevie just behind the striker(s)) so we'd be crazy not to go get him for 3-4 million.

But, I suspect that this figure will go up as negotiations proceed.  Like Crouch last year, Birmingham will try and squeeze us for an extra million or two.  I wouldn't be surprised if the end figure is up around Crouchy's 7 million. 

So, is the Pennant gamble worth it for 7 million?  Or 8 million?  It depends on what other funds we have for forwards, I suppose, but I'd still consider him for that kind of money.  If he does what he's capable of, he'll make us a better and deeper team and that's the bottom line.

liverpool shud get a good deal with pennant as birmingham have got relegated but with rouch i fell we got ripped off considering that other than liverpool there were not many clubs intrested
iqbalharoon213

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 02, 2006 10:18 pm

iqbalharoon213 wrote:liverpool shud get a good deal with pennant as birmingham have got relegated but with rouch i fell we got ripped off considering that other than liverpool there were not many clubs intrested

This is my point...people expected Crouch to be a lot cheaper than he was given that Southampton had been relegated but they drove a hard bargain and, in the end, Rafa paid a bit more than he was willing to. 

Having said that, he clearly rated Crouchy and took the gamble even with the inflated price...something I think was worth doing given his contributions this season.

Should Birmingham try a similar tactic this summer, however, the question becomes how high will we go for Pennant?

To answer my own question, I suppose it depends on how highly Rafa rates the lad and where our spending priorities lie, if we assume a fairly modest budget (at least relative to the Mancs and Chelsea).  If Rafa rates Pennant, he'll probably pay a few million more than the current 3-4 million estimate that St. Mike quoted.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby iqbalharoon213 » Tue May 02, 2006 10:24 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
iqbalharoon213 wrote:liverpool shud get a good deal with pennant as birmingham have got relegated but with rouch i fell we got ripped off considering that other than liverpool there were not many clubs intrested

This is my point...people expected Crouch to be a lot cheaper than he was given that Southampton had been relegated but they drove a hard bargain and, in the end, Rafa paid a bit more than he was willing to. 

Having said that, he clearly rated Crouchy and took the gamble even with the inflated price...something I think was worth doing given his contributions this season.

Should Birmingham try a similar tactic this summer, however, the question becomes how high will we go for Pennant?

To answer my own question, I suppose it depends on how highly Rafa rates the lad and where our spending priorities lie, if we assume a fairly modest budget (at least relative to the Mancs and Chelsea).  If Rafa rates Pennant, he'll probably pay a few million more than the current 3-4 million estimate that St. Mike quoted.

rafa is very strict on the amount he spends on a player but with crouch i think rafa had no other option because he could not find a good tall striker in spain or anywhere where as pennant is different becuase rafa has other options
iqbalharoon213

Postby vlady16.1 » Wed May 03, 2006 2:37 am

the best hunting may not be at the relegated teams -- look to teams that are changing direction and there there may ber some bargains -- teams like charlton(new coach), boro(new coach???) bolton( new coach???) ,

these may be where the bargains may be -- also chelski-- if maureen leaves watch out but they are way overstocked anyway so people will be blown out

still like pennant if he can go straight
vlady16.1

Postby mikopool » Wed May 03, 2006 2:51 am

I really hope we make a dip for Pennant, the lad is class and I think with an in-form Kewell and an in-form  Pennant on the wings we could beat any squad on any day. I could see us unloading Flopo to whoever (probably not Blackburn ) Le Tallec and either moro or Cisse, so hopefully from the income received for offloading those could bring in Pennant. I already added Pennant to my Fifa 06 Liverpool squad so hopefully my wish will come true :D

Anderson will get some action next year hopefully, he looks better then Pennant if his current skill improves.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby bng89 » Wed May 03, 2006 2:56 am

mikopool wrote:I really hope we make a dip for Pennant, the lad is class and I think with an in-form Kewell and an in-form  Pennant on the wings we could beat any squad on any day. I could see us unloading Flopo to whoever (probably not Blackburn ) Le Tallec and either moro or Cisse, so hopefully from the income received for offloading those could bring in Pennant. I already added Pennant to my Fifa 06 Liverpool squad so hopefully my wish will come true :D

Anderson will get some action next year hopefully, he looks better then Pennant if his current skill improves.

Pennant is going great guns. He'll do a lot better at LFC.

I got him aswell in 06. Good player there to
Liverpool FC 1892
bng89

Postby marcus.c » Wed May 03, 2006 3:55 am

LFC #1 wrote:If Pennant sorted his attitude out I'd take a gamble on him.

I think there is no point here taking a gamble on anyone.. we are not like those mid table teams, they can afford to gamble on a player. If we strive to be top in europe and in EPL, we must have proven players playing in the first 11. Sure, we can spend just a bit of money and gamble on a player and at the end of the day, when we look back... we have wasted yet another season!

We should go for proven players. Priority will be a right side midfielder and a striker. Off load Cisse and Traore.

I have never like Traore. He simply makes too many mistakes. His defensive awareness is very poor. If you look at the villa match, they have been attacking from the left side of our team. There were so many times, they manage to penetrate. And the villa goal? Where was Traore? Isn't he suppose to be guarding the left flank? He was in the box instead! And this is just one of so many examples of his flaws. Warnock on the other hand is a much better player. His defending is pretty good and he has some good passing skills.
marcus.c

Postby pur3 rav3r » Wed May 03, 2006 9:50 am

marcus.c wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:If Pennant sorted his attitude out I'd take a gamble on him.

I think there is no point here taking a gamble on anyone.. we are not like those mid table teams, they can afford to gamble on a player. If we strive to be top in europe and in EPL, we must have proven players playing in the first 11. Sure, we can spend just a bit of money and gamble on a player and at the end of the day, when we look back... we have wasted yet another season!

We should go for proven players. Priority will be a right side midfielder and a striker. Off load Cisse and Traore.

I have never like Traore. He simply makes too many mistakes. His defensive awareness is very poor. If you look at the villa match, they have been attacking from the left side of our team. There were so many times, they manage to penetrate. And the villa goal? Where was Traore? Isn't he suppose to be guarding the left flank? He was in the box instead! And this is just one of so many examples of his flaws. Warnock on the other hand is a much better player. His defending is pretty good and he has some good passing skills.

i would say no to basicly everything u just said
R.I.P to the 96 that lost there lives on 15th of april 1989
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"
pur3 rav3r
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed May 03, 2006 11:35 am

I think Pennant is a good player. A great player for brum, and a good player for us. I really dont think he is champiuons league material, or international class.

I think he would be a very good buy at 3 or 4 million, as a squad player. SWP, Simao, are the top-notch players with international class that you want on the big stage, someone that barca would think ... oooo, we gotta watch him, type player. Thats who we need as a no. 1 RW, someone skillful, who can worry the opposition.

If we want to be challenging chelski for prem champions, and going up against milan and barca in the champs league I really think we need a top quality RW, pennant is good - but not the quality we need for first team.

I think buy him, 3 or 4 mil, to be used as kromkamp is now, back up to right side.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby scouse cockny » Wed May 03, 2006 12:33 pm

agreed, I dont think pennant is good enough to play in a team challanging for the title..

There are much better players that we should be looking at to be honest who dont come with the gamble off the pitch that pennant will bring
scouse cockny

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed May 03, 2006 12:34 pm

We don't actually need a world class right winger. It would be fantastic to get one, but to be honest just someone capable would be fine by me.

I was very happy with Riise as a solution on the left when Kewell was injured, and to have someone similarly willing to keep running, keep working and to keep the supply coming to the strikers would be absolutely fine by me.
ivor_the_injun

Postby dawson99 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:41 pm

when gonzalez comes int eh sumemr tho cant he play on the right? and kewell is doing good on the left. with stevie available right as well i dunno abot pennant. hed be a good squad player but not a 1st team choice which is what hed want
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 03, 2006 12:44 pm

When the Luis Figo transfer fell through last summer it was a big disappointment, as he would have been a free, and quality answer to our problem right sided midfield problem, albeit only a short term one.

I just wondered had we signed Figo last summer how would our season have shaped up with him in the team? He has played pretty well for Inter, and chipped in with a few goals and assists. Had we bought him it would have freed up stevie to play central, though at the expense of Momo more than likely?

What would have been better? Stevie on the right, with Momo in the middle as we have had, or Figo on the right with Stevie and Xabi in the middle? I have to say, Figo would have brought more goals, assists and quality overall, and to me that equals points, though it could be said Momo saves points as well with his defensive cover he provides.

Figo would have been a great addition this season, it’s a shame it fell through. And who knows what would have happened with his extra goals and quality.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dmf » Wed May 03, 2006 12:50 pm

pur3 rav3r wrote:
dmf wrote:We've seen Fowler return and now with birmingham going down maybe we'll see the return of heskey which is what we all wana see, right guys? :D

he aint who i would like to c come back,he has got talent but not gd enough if we want to pose any problems in europe

I was joking, heskey is the last person i wana see at liverpool
dmf

Postby red37 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:56 pm

stmichael wrote:When the Luis Figo transfer fell through last summer it was a big disappointment, as he would have been a free, and quality answer to our problem right sided midfield problem, albeit only a short term one.

I just wondered had we signed Figo last summer how would our season have shaped up with him in the team? He has played pretty well for Inter, and chipped in with a few goals and assists. Had we bought him it would have freed up stevie to play central, though at the expense of Momo more than likely?

What would have been better? Stevie on the right, with Momo in the middle as we have had, or Figo on the right with Stevie and Xabi in the middle? I have to say, Figo would have brought more goals, assists and quality overall, and to me that equals points, though it could be said Momo saves points as well with his defensive cover he provides.

Figo would have been a great addition this season, it’s a shame it fell through. And who knows what would have happened with his extra goals and quality.

good point st.mike

as for momo, do you think we are nearer to knowing his best position?

for me he (and cisse it has to be said) looked effective on the left the last couple of games ???

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion