Swap - four trophies for one premiership title - Would you..........?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Swap - four trophies for one premiership title - Would you..........?

Yes, I would swap all of Houllier's trophies for just one Premiership title ie to have won one title instead of the four cups, with no affect on our chances of winning another
96%
No, I would prefer the four trophies
4%

Total votes : 28

Postby Owzat » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:59 am

Too many fans seem to harp back to the fact that we have won four trohies under Houllier. Yes, it is nice to win a trophy but that will never make up for failure in the league.

So I put this to you - would you swap all Houllier's trophies for just ONE Premiership win? I would swap all Houllier's, all Evans' and all Souness's trophies for just one Premiership title. (and that doesn't mean one from now until eternity, just one Premiership title to have been won instead of the four cups)

For me a cup is a bonus, a day out. The league is about being the best in the country, even teams like Southampton have their days out
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Badmao1 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:11 am

That was an easy decision to make. I for one would prefer to enter the Champions League as champions- not also rans.
Badmao1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:16 am

me too!
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:09 pm

i would gladly swap the 2001 charity shield, 2001 the European super cup and the 2001 & 2003 league titles for a League championship.  :D

The Uefa cup and the FA Cup matches of 2001 hold found memories for me (one of the greatest week). Will not swap it for anything.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:00 pm

Begs the question why the four trophies always work their way into arguments in defence of Houllier. He came up with a five year plan and I think the majority of Liverpool fans feel as I do, that cups are nice and we like winning them, but the league is the target. No amount of cups will ever make up for the lack of a Premiership title, so please can people stop mentioning them in defence of Houllier!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:55 pm

Lets face facts,the 4 cups we won ,were the leftovers, the cups for the also rans ,without being to harsh Liverpool even when we finished second to Arsenal ,were points wise not even within touching distance .I and every Liverpool fan since the year dot consider the premiership as the yard stick ,and in reply to your question yes id swap the lot for that one stat  LIVERPOOL FC PREMIERSHIP CHAMPIONS
but when Liverpool finished second it was then when Houllier should have capitalised and strengthened by buying quality not quantity,his arrogance as we've seen knows no bounds ,if the man would just swallow his pride and start a season like they did this one ie with an attacking verve ,and  persist with the style we fans crave ,then im sure  the fans would give him the time he needs ,but lose and panic sets in and the formation and tactics are changed ,and Houllier lose's the plot.Dont let this mislead you i cheered and celebrated when we won them cups ,but mainly because finally just maybe it was the start of our rise to something resembling the teams of our glorious past ,yes the champions league is where our great club needs to be ,but it should'nt arrive by finishing 4th,I along with others applauded Houlliers honesty last season when he stated Liverpool were not at the same level as Arsenal and The Manc's ,because we accepted that was the case ,but to repeat it as a post match comment every time we played them ,what effect would that have on a team low on confidence ,maybe its not the players barr Biscan and the other labelled not good enough,maybe the players are bemused and bewildered as us fans by his bizarre tactics and its the manager holding us back
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:12 pm

4/18 WE ARE STILL THE BEST
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zackboxer » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:52 am

Definately swap the lot, winning the championship is what this club is about.
zackboxer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:41 pm

What a stupid question.

Its all unique. Being champions again will be amazing when it happens. Winning the cups... ALL of them had a unique special and amazing feeling. That cup treble was unbelievable.

Winning the Uefa and Fa in the same week was one of the best weeks of my life. To be able so say i was at both games and seen it live was amazing. I've never shed so many tears in my life as i did that week. It was truely sensational. The atmosphere and the buzz around the place was amazing, the weather was spot on aswell... it was just unbelievable. Words don't do the way i felt justice they really don't.

I'd imagine next time we win the league title i'll feel pretty much the same as i did then.

Owzat i can imagine you sitting there after we won the fa cup in your house with a cup of tea and going yes ok well done... a little clap and that was that.

I screamed and started jumping on people i've never met and cryin. It was great, everyone at the ground was the same.

At the end of the day, if you went to these games and were a true fan you'd see why i want to give Houllier that chance, feelings like that stick in your mind forever.
115-1073096938

Postby Supermarius » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:36 pm

Its not a stupid question! Its just a way of showing how much we want the PREMIERSHIP! thats our bread and butter!
Id swap em all ..and then id get my hankies out and cry..champions!!!!!!!!!! yehaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
Q: You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake, and a Manchester United Fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?

A: Shoot the United Fan. Twice.
Supermarius

Postby Owzat » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:25 pm

Stu-pid is using the trophies that Houllier has won as an argument for him staying. I am not in the slightest bit surprised that you missed the point stu. Yes, we all celebrated the cups, every fan of every club would, but they aren't worth one Premiership combined and have no influence on the likelihood of us winning the Premiership.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:22 am

Stu you tell us quite graphically how chuffed you were at the treble, we know that if and when we win the premiership you'll be posting a picture of yourself ***** in your lounge window cos everyone knows the league means more than any cup competition ever could.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:34 am

I would also add the League Cup win in 1995 and the 1992 FA Cup win to Houllier's trophies if it meant getting that Championship.

I remember back to our last two championships....1990 and 1988, and the swagger people had going around knowing that we were the best was unbelievable.

You get a brilliant buzz from winning a cup, but the happy days feeling from winning the league goes on for much longer.

Argh......Owzat, your post only makes me angry again!!!  :angry:

As for GH and the treble, thats a long time ago now and the team of 2004 is pathetic compared to GH's team of 2001.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Coley » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:50 am

I'd swap everything we have won since our last league championship for one premiership win.  If we had a team capable of winning the premiership, surely a load more trophies would follow anyway?
Coley

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:33 pm

My sentiments exactly. A good cup side does not necessarily make for a good league side, but generally the top league sides who have won the league do win the cups that matter. It is no small coincidence that Arsenal and manu win the FA Cup quite often to add to the league - I believe Arsenal have done the double twice, manu three times. Arsenal could emulate manu in winning the "treble" although it would be equally mickey mouse as the manu version as neither were reigning Premiership champions
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion