Support goes both ways! - Please read this.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby spion » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:24 am

Some people on this msg board have questioned others of there loyalty to Liverpool because they have the balls to knock some players performances this season.
Well as a paid up season ticket holder who's been to all but one of our woeful away games this season & paid for last seasons european adventure's with so much overtime that I basically live at work I think I can "slag" players who pull on the red shirt & show no pride & no knowledge of what Liverpool football club means to its supporters. When I see players not even try in games & act like they do not care, am I stiil to applaud as they get subbed because my commitment to the club I've supported all my life will be questioned?
When I see players miss sitter after sitter am I to cheer there name next game as they trot on to the pitch because I might hurt the overpaid feelings of some of our premadonnas? I place my opinions on here because sometimes others do the same & seem to agree. Not always are my opinions right & I admit that at times we do go over the top about Kewell, Traore, Garcia & Josemi among others. But if we let players get away with mediocre performances we're letting Liverpool be confortable in mid-table which must be worse than knocking bad players, must be worse than saying it's just not good enough.
Too many people listen to Five-live & Talksport with there guarded opinions & mimic them instead of trying out there own opinions.
I stand on the Kop & I hear other "supporters" some young, some old & they'll barrack any player not pulling there weight(Gerrard included)for the red shirt. So let us knock & let us praise. Because this media we use is important & all should be seen.
spion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:30 am

Thats fair enough. Most on here (me included) only find fault with those who overreact.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:52 am

Some good points but you can't help thinking that ona  forum like this your aklways going to get a difference of opinion. there are those who proclaim absolute blind loyalty and those who at the other extreme slate anythging and everything about the players, the club etc.......Most os us sit somewere in the middle.....

As a season ticket holder myself I reserve the right to air my opinions and share my views. I don't actually think it gives me "more" or "less" right than anyone else who perhaps doesn't attend for whaever reason.

Football has always been about opinion but I must say that i come on here sometimes after a game and wonder if some members who contribute have actually watched the game or pick up pieces they have heard or read and paraphrase that ! :p

There is definitley a concensus of opinion that tends to give players such as Traore and Kewell a poor review even when it's not fully deserved and on the other side there are those at LFC are almost untouchable  ???

At the end of its about supporting the CLUB and all that it stands for. I have my fave players like anyone else but i suppoort the CLUB first and players second. Players will come and go but the club remains ....

Walk On ..........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:18 am

I try not to comment about bad performances of players, however sometimes in the heat of the moment i post some nasty stuff, then later regret it lol.

I have only been to anfield 5 times, and each time i am too awestruck to really pay much attention to individual performances. However I do know that you cannot compare what u see on the tele to the real thing. You miss so much. so all i try to do is praise the good performances and i'll leave it too those people who actually go to the games to comment on the bad (even if i agree).

C'oooommmmmnnn you mighty REDS

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:07 am

Dalglish wrote:Football has always been about opinion but I must say that i come on here sometimes after a game and wonder if some members who contribute have actually watched the game or pick up pieces they have heard or read and paraphrase that ! :p

There is definitley a concensus of opinion that tends to give players such as Traore and Kewell a poor review even when it's not fully deserved and on the other side there are those at LFC are almost untouchable  ???

Two excellent points, and also Spion's point on Talksport and Five Live.
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:29 am

talkSPORT is absurd.

The day after LFC were knocked out of the Carling Cup they were slamming us with criticism.

Yet when Chelsea got knocked out not long afterwards they didn't say a damn thing.

It never once occured to them that like Chelsea, LFC had more important things to deal with (like the Prem and the CL) to worry about the extra games of the Carling (and probably FA) Cups.

And UNLIKE Chelsea, we simply don't have the depth of players in the squad to cover pointless injuries playing in a pointless cup competition.

Then I had to listen to the :censored: about "Get rid of RAFA and get Martin O'Neill" despite the fact that only a few days earlier, O'Neill had ruled himself out of the Eire job because he's still looking after his sick wife.

Or more ridiculous were the "Sack RAFA and get George Burley" comments.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:33 am

Dalglish wrote:At the end of its about supporting the CLUB and all that it stands for. I have my fave players like anyone else but i suppoort the CLUB first and players second. Players will come and go but the club remains ....

Try tellin' that to the Nottingham Forest supporters .I'm sure it will be a great comfort to them  .

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:53 am

Like a few have said its only the unwarranted criticism on here that seems to get fans annoyed.
Anyone whether they go the match or not has the right to an opinion and to express it.
I dont go along with the fact that someone who goes to every game has more of a right to an opinion than other LFC fans.
I hardly ever go now, but thats due to having 2 young children and not much spare time or money.
One thing i dont support at all is players being booed i cant see that it helps anyone at all.
I'm not saying applaud someone who has been poor and shows no passion, but i dont think its on booing them.
But this forum is about opinions and the way the players have performed in the league over the last season and a bit means that criticism is both fair and inevitable...i'd rather it was on here than at Anfield.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:00 pm

good post spion

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:32 am

Calling for Rafa's head again were they TMP? Unreal or what!?!
There are some silly sods knocking about on talksport!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafalution » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:04 pm

I think the real problem with the slagging off of the players falls firmly at the feet of the press. Once they begin a campaign of slagging off a particular player, that player will never get good reviews no matter how well they play.
On the other hand, the press can also elevate a player to god like status purely because they know that stories about the latest hot property will shift copies of their rag. That player then becomes untouchable with regards to getting marked poorly for having a bad game.

This then get's dumped onto the forum when the no-brainer fan comes on here and spouts off about how :censored: so and so is when they are only voicing the comments they have read in the press and they haven't even seen the game in question in which that player played badly.

For me, Peter Crouch is the epitome of this because the lad hasn't played too badly in a red shirt in my opinion. The press however keep rattling on about how he still hasn't scored and this is picked up on by the no-brainer fan who then boos the lad when he plays for England.
Now, fair enough, he might not be setting the world on fire, but he hasn't played badly enough to warrant booing just yet ! He at least contributes to the side and you cannot fault his commitment.

Until people stop taking the easy way out and spout the popular views of the press on this forum, we will continue to see the odd occasional view on a player which is formed with insight and arguments to back it up and is used to vent frustrations in a constructive way alongside another 10 posts saying that Kewell and Traore are :censored: with no more substance to the post ! It's up to us to sort the wheat from the chaff and try not to get too wound up by the ridiculous popularist posts which are made on here and pay more attention to the good ones !
Rafalution

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:46 pm

Rafalution wrote:I think the real problem with the slagging off of the players falls firmly at the feet of the press. Once they begin a campaign of slagging off a particular player, that player will never get good reviews no matter how well they play.
On the other hand, the press can also elevate a player to god like status purely because they know that stories about the latest hot property will shift copies of their rag. That player then becomes untouchable with regards to getting marked poorly for having a bad game.

This then get's dumped onto the forum when the no-brainer fan comes on here and spouts off about how :censored: so and so is when they are only voicing the comments they have read in the press and they haven't even seen the game in question in which that player played badly.

For me, Peter Crouch is the epitome of this because the lad hasn't played too badly in a red shirt in my opinion. The press however keep rattling on about how he still hasn't scored and this is picked up on by the no-brainer fan who then boos the lad when he plays for England.
Now, fair enough, he might not be setting the world on fire, but he hasn't played badly enough to warrant booing just yet ! He at least contributes to the side and you cannot fault his commitment.

Until people stop taking the easy way out and spout the popular views of the press on this forum, we will continue to see the odd occasional view on a player which is formed with insight and arguments to back it up and is used to vent frustrations in a constructive way alongside another 10 posts saying that Kewell and Traore are :censored: with no more substance to the post ! It's up to us to sort the wheat from the chaff and try not to get too wound up by the ridiculous popularist posts which are made on here and pay more attention to the good ones !

A very good post, the press have alot to do with peoples opinions. And it shows on some of the debates on here quite often.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:13 pm

On the other hand if we closed down all sections of the media many people in here wouldn't be supporting LFC . You'd be consigned to supporting your local team only as you'd have fk all knowledge as to whats happening outside your immediate area/league.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:18 pm

that would also please certain members...

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:12 pm

Good post Spion couldnt have said it better myself...............then again i  have a few times
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion