Style of play and formations - Flexibility

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:11 am

Well the bloke hasn't even walked through the door and already I feel there is a preconception (unfairly in my view) that we are all of a sudden going to become a long ball side with this appointment.

Now I for one am not going to jump to any conclusions about his style of play at this stage and what we can expect. Generally his teams are very hard to beat and sit deep a lot of the time, but at Fulham for example that was hardly surprising because the quality of Fulhum's squad is not exactly brilliant, certainly in comparison to the quality of players we have. To be fair, with the players at his disposal he probably maximised their potential. If he comes to Anfield and replicates that I will be happy. I am sure England would of appreciated that this summer, instead of what the renown Fabio Capello managed to achieve with the potential at his disposal. He does play 442 and normally with inverted wingers. I wouldn't call it negative, just emphasis on being solid at the back and then quick counter-attacking football. Because of the inverted wingers his teams tend to play quite narrowly.

Anyway, I find the bloke insightful when talking about football when I've heard him in the past. I've enjoyed listening to him during the World Cup aswell. Anyway, here's some interesting videos with Hodgson talking about various formations.

4-4-2

http://www.uefa.com/trainin....ay=true

3-5-2

http://www.uefa.com/trainin....ay=true

4-3-3

http://www.uefa.com/trainin....37.html

I mean we've generally played 4-2-3-1 for a long time now with varying degrees of success. Last season I was critical about our lack of flexibility within this formation as the front man was often left completely isolated at times. When Roy sits down and prepares for our first game the most important thing is that he picks the formation to get the best out of the players. Pick the players first, then find the best formation to play them. And not choosing the formation and shoe-horning players into the formation. Also, the ability and willingness to change formations and playing styles is important during games.

Thoughts?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:26 am

I think it’s a bit early to tell. I do agree that his style of play has come under unfair criticism, given the personnel he has had to work with in the past and that the quality in the Liverpool squad far surpasses and other squads that he has managed.

I think a lot will depend on how much money he has to spend and if he can convince certain players to stay. With our current squad, and Gerrard and Torres fit, I would prefer to see 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard behind Torres.  If Torres goes, or if he’s unfit, that formation doesn’t work as neither Kuyt or N’Gog are good enough to lead the line in that formation as we saw plenty of times last season. I definitely think we need another striker, and if by some miracle we do have a bit to spend, to get a top striker, then maybe look at reverting to a 4-4-2 to get the best out of the team. But there are so many dependants at the moment, it is nearly impossible to answer.

I think this thread would be really good a week or so before the season, when we know the personnel that will make up our squad
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:59 am

Roy likes a well disciplined team. I think he will keep our fullbacks a bit more defensive than what we are used to and have both Aquilani and Gerrard attacking through the middle and have just mascherano holding by himself.  (Assuming they are all still here:laugh: )

If it was my choice I would stick with the formation that we have but have Aquilani/Lucas going further forward rather than sitting back with Mascha
Fauxy

Postby Owzat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:54 pm

Fauxy wrote:Roy likes a well disciplined team. I think he will keep our fullbacks a bit more defensive than what we are used to

Might be best to cash in on any interest from Rafa/Inter, can't see Johnson spending more time doing what he ain't much good at - might cost him his England place, if he hasn't already waved that goodbye

Fauxy wrote: and have both Aquilani and Gerrard attacking through the middle and have just mascherano holding by himself.  (Assuming they are all still here:laugh: )

If it was my choice I would stick with the formation that we have but have Aquilani/Lucas going further forward rather than sitting back with Mascha

I think there will be changes, noone knows exactly what bearing in mind we don't know who will be here and who wont, but I think Woy will revert to 4-4-2 and a few players may be nervous and hoping big guns do get sold.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 pm

stmichael wrote:Thoughts?

My first thought was quality thread starter and then my 2nd thought was where did St.Mick nick it from!?

And here is the answer:

http://uk.messages.eurosport.yahoo.com/Footbal....=145374
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:03 pm

Just watched those clips and have to agree they are insightful and Hodgson is clearly a real student of the game although at age 62 he bloody should be! Definately not another Keegan.

In terms of formation so much will depend on Torres. There's no one better than him and Drogba at playing the lone frontman. If we lose him or he's not fit it has to be two up for me. I suspect we will play a mixture of 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1. If these clips are anything to go by, I suspect we won't be playing a great deal of 3 at the back though.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:23 pm

My main concern is how quickly the players will adapt to man marking rather than zonal. Not sure about the formation, perhaps he will experiment with that in our pre season friendlies
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby tubby » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Scottbot wrote:

My first thought was quality thread starter and then my 2nd thought was where did St.Mick nick it from!?

And here is the answer:

:laugh:

Caught again
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:48 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

And here is the answer:

:laugh:

Caught again

At least hes not a mo...

oh

:D

ps - it is a good post though agree with every word mate...feel confident Uncle Roy will pick a starting eleven that will enable players to be given free reign in their :natural positions: no more playing strikers as full backs goalkeeprs as wingers etc...lol. Watch out for a blockbuster season from Ryan Babel as a result of such a policy...u heard it here first but if Im proven wrong on that one no problem will hold my hand up. Also just want to put it on record that though like u self am disappointed that KK didnt get the nod as manager think we all have to get behind Roy 100%.
Last edited by dawson99 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Im quite excited at the prospect of watching our players in their best positions. He cant do any worse than Rafas fiasco last season
Thommo's perm

Postby Reg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:21 pm

I heard he´s a big admirer of Jermaine Pennant.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:31 pm

Scottbot wrote:

And here is the answer:

LMAO  :D
Fauxy

Postby Reg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Fauxy wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

And here is the answer:

LMAO  :D

His copy/paste icons must be worn out by now surely?  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:16 pm

Haha, it's been a while. Another classic to add to your collection Mick.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

I've actually seen others on here do this as well, not that often though. Anyway, looks like an interesting OP. Will comment after I've watched the videos.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion