Strikers and tactics

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:31 am

I have been thinking about the tactics of Rafa (4-5-1) and this striker situation, I think Mellor should be off loaded and I still think we have too many striker to keep happy as Rafa looks to be playing the same formation as at Valencia with one upfront, the question is is Rafa going to switch to 4-4-2 or is he going to sell Baros AND Cisse?

At the moment Crouch, Nando, Baros, Cisse, Pongolle, Mellor and the posibility of Owen just doesn't fit into one space  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:36 am

Its worrying to think that rafa would listen to offers for Cisse though, Baros will be gone by the end of the week, le Tallec on loan, and now rumours of Pongolle off to Aberdeen on loan, all this seems to be to make room for Owen coming back.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:48 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Its worrying to think that rafa would listen to offers for Cisse though, Baros will be gone by the end of the week, le Tallec on loan, and now rumours of Pongolle off to Aberdeen on loan, all this seems to be to make room for Owen coming back.

I thought of this after I read your thread Lyndz about Pongolle, I just wonder which direction Rafa is going.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolrich » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:05 pm

Dont mind him selling baros and having a 442 then we have back ups for our main strikers nando ,cisse crouch and possible owen
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby 2520years » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:44 pm

Paul C wrote:I have been thinking about the tactics of Rafa (4-5-1) and this striker situation, I think Mellor should be off loaded and I still think we have too many striker to keep happy as Rafa looks to be playing the same formation as at Valencia with one upfront, the question is is Rafa going to switch to 4-4-2 or is he going to sell Baros AND Cisse?

At the moment Crouch, Nando, Baros, Cisse, Pongolle, Mellor and the posibility of Owen just doesn't fit into one space  ???

We've got:

1)  Crouch, Nando - used for holding the ball up and bringing others into play
2)  Baros, Cisse - can play off another striker or on their own using pace
3)  Pongolle, Mellor - backups

If Baros goes I believe he'll be replaced.  If FSP goes out on loan he can be recalled if we have an injury crisis.  I think Cisse going is paper talk.

I don't think we can see any space for Owen because there isn't any.  Rafa must be sick of saying he isn't after a striker. He might be if Baros goes, but Rafa isn't in any hurry to off-load him from what I've heard him say.

I think we need to listen more to Rafa and less to the Daily Mirror!
:oops:
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby XSD » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:46 pm

Owen Morientes Cisse Crouch
seems like the kind of strikeforce a big club should have.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:47 pm

XSD wrote:Owen Morientes Cisse Crouch
seems like the kind of strikeforce a big club should have.

Agreed, we need a 20+ a season striker and Owen fits the bill, plus he's proven at the club and in this league.  :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:19 pm

Its worrying to think that rafa would listen to offers for Cisse though, Baros will be gone by the end of the week, le Tallec on loan, and now rumours of Pongolle off to Aberdeen on loan, all this seems to be to make room for Owen coming back.

What offers for Cisse?

No club has made any offers for Cisse. The reported bid from Lyon is false and Marseille have said that they would like to get Cisse but can not afford him. There have been no offers for Cisse what so ever. Benitez has even told Cisse to ignore the newspapers and focus on football.

We need four good strikers, and if Benitez uses 4-5-1 we will obiviously only use one striker but because this season we have a lot of games to play there will be plenty of rotating and therefore that means that everyone will play almost an equal amount of games.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Paul C » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:26 pm

A.B. wrote:We need four good strikers, and if Benitez uses 4-5-1 we will obiviously only use one striker but because this season we have a lot of games to play there will be plenty of rotating and therefore that means that everyone will play almost an equal amount of games.

I don't like the rotation system, if a player is in form and playing well he should play, simple as.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:29 pm

I don't like the rotation system, if a player is in form and playing well he should play, simple as.

You're missing the point. Whether a player is in good form or not you don't expect him to play every single game this season now do you?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Paul C » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:31 pm

A.B. wrote:

You're missing the point. Whether a player is in good form or not you don't expect him to play every single game this season now do you?

If he's getting tired it will show in a dip of form and the next striker should then play, I suppose I'm being old fashioned  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:36 pm

A.B. wrote:Whether a player is in good form or not you don't expect him to play every single game this season now do you?

why not? i don't hear lampard and terry whinging about playing in every game. lampard's played 147 league games in a row for gods sake.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:41 pm

why not? i don't hear lampard and terry whinging about playing in every game. lampard's played 147 league games in a row for gods sake.

Lampard has been a bit lucky that he hasn't gotten injured. Let's see if he'll play every single game this season.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby stoney » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:44 pm

A.B. wrote:

Lampard has been a bit lucky that he hasn't gotten injured. Let's see if he'll play every single game this season.

lampard didn't get lucky, fat frank is just in better shape than we all think and his physical appearance shows.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion