Oh no not again, it's rotation. - Was it worth it?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:42 pm

Okay, now that I'm into work ( :D ), I've had a look at the stats etc for our performances in the league.  Incidentally, I've focused on the league because I think our league form is the main focus of this rotation debate, seeing as we passed through the Group Stages of the CL with relative ease and seeing as I don't think anyone would dispute that rotation did precipitate our two recent cup exits.  Not suprisingly, I think the presumptions I made in my earlier posts were largely correct but we'll see what others make of things.  But first, there's a little issue to do with frame of reference:

(1) Our Winning Form

Some--not just Peewee--have suggested that we have started to see results once Rafa knocked the "over rotation" on the head and also when he started playing Gerrard through the middle.  In order to discuss these points, however, we need to establish when our winning form kicked in--an issue that is not cut and dried.  A few might point to the Aston Villa game back in October as a turning point: it was an emphatic win against a (then) in-form side in the wake of a tough loss at Old Trafford.

But, after dispatching Reading the following week, we got thumped by Arsenal at Emirates, then drew away to Boro before squeaking by Man City and drawing with Portsmouth both at home...not exactly a phenomenal run.

So, I suggest that our truly winning form didn't come until the start of December, when we recorded our first away win at Wigan (4-0!) and used that as a platform for wins over Fulham (H), Charlton (A) and Watford (H).  After a blip at Blackburn, normal service was resumed with wins over Spurs (A), Bolton (H), Watford (A) and Chelsea (H).  In these 9 matches we are 8-0-1 with a goal differential of +21 and 8 clean sheets.  Of course, add in the results against Boro, Man City and Portsmouth and we are 9-2-1 with a goal differential of +22 and 11 clean sheets.

So, perhaps it is fair to say that we've come on in the 12 matches since losing away to Arsenal on November 12th, with the most impressive run starting with the away win at Wigan on December 2nd.

(2) Over Rotation?

So, we've played 24 games in the league so far but our good form has really only come on in the last 10 or 12 games.  Is this down to a shift in Rafa's rotation policy?  Not really.  Prior to the draw at Boro, Rafa averaged 2.8 changes to his starting 11 from one Premiership game to the next (not factoring in intervening cup games, admittedly).  Since the Boro match, Rafa has averaged 2.5 personnel changes per game.  And, while some of Rafa's biggest personnel changes came early in the season (6 changes between the Sheffield United away draw and the home win against the Hammers; 5 changes between the Everton loss and the Chelsea loss) Rafa routinely changed 3 and, in the case of Bolton match, 4 starters from match to match during the last few weeks--due, naturally, to the jammed fixture list during the festive period.

So, with apologies to Peewee, the facts don't lie: Rafa is rotating just as much now--when we're the form team in the league--as he did at the beginning of the season.  To me this indicates that "over rotation," in and of itself, can't solely account for our poor start to the season.  For me it's a perception issue: like zonal marking, people only notice it and take issue with it when we're struggling.  When everything's ticking, Rafa's rotation policy doesn't seem to bother people nearly as much.

(3) Our Midfield

While I don't think that over rotation is the reason for our struggling form, a look into the various team selections Rafa has made this season does point up the issue: selecting our best midfield.  Now, I've lost count of the number of times people have urged Rafa to just play his "Best 11" but I don't think that's exactly what people mean.  After all, in every department of the pitch save keeper (as Dudek underscored so spectacularly against Arsenal), we've tolerated--even embraced--some manner of rotation this season. 

In defense, Rafa has been rotating Hyypia and Agger all season, to good effect.  Indeed, a number of people are in favour of Agger being outright first choice to partner Carragher.  To a lesser extent, the LB position has seen some rotation, although injuries to Aurelio and Warnock have limited this (and perhaps made JAR a little too complacent).  Eleven clean sheets in our last 12 matches tells its own story: rotation in defence seems to be working, against all conventional wisdom about not tinkering with the back line.

In attack, Kuyt is clearly Rafa's first choice and will play most matches barring injury or the odd rest.  Who partners Kuyt, though?  Bellamy seems to be the choice, with 15 starts but Crouch has 12 starts himself (Robbie's obviously a squad player at this point, sadly).  Given that all three have been scoring, making goals for others and contributing to our winning form, there's good arguments for rotation up top.  Indeed, these boards have been filled with it.

So I don't think criticisms about rotation are aimed at either the defence or our strikers since both departments have seemed to take rotation in stride while maintaining a high level of performance.  This leaves midfield as the problem department on the pitch.

The one constant in midfield, in terms of getting a game in a consistent position is Alonso.  When fit, Xabi's been selected (the debacle at Sheffield United, aside).  Gerrard's played every league match as well but, of course, he's done so in one of 3 different positions.  Sissoko played 8 out of 11 matches until his injury, suggesting that he, too, was central (pun intended :D) to Rafa's plans. 

This leaves the real problem areas--the wide positions.  At RM, we've seen Gerrard 7 times, Pennant 12 times, Garcia 3 times (not counting the games we played 3-5-2, with Finnan in the wing-back role).  I'll get back to the Gerrard on the right debate in a minute but, suffice to say, that had Pennant played to his potential from the off, I think we would have seen much less rotation at RM, given that Jermaine's been fit and available for virtually every game.

At LM the problem is even more pronounced, primarily because we don't have a Steven Gerrard to fill in there too (save his cameos wide left at Chelsea and Bolton).  Gonzales and Garcia have staked the largest claims for the role, with 7 starts each.  But, Riise has filled in 3 times and Aurelio twice (not counting wingback roles for either), suggesting that Rafa is still not entirely happy with Gonzo or Garcia in the LM role.

When you look at rotation carefully, then, it's clear that it's the wide positions that have caused the greatest disruption to the team sheet and the greatest angst to fans.  Agger for Hyypia or Crouch for Bellamy does not seem to rock the boat too much, but Rafa's tinkering with the midfield has been disruptive.  The question, of course, is: did he have a choice? 

(4) Where to Play Gerrard

A major consequence of both Pennant's indifferent form and Sissoko's good form (one of our few quality players in the first 2 months, if you'll recall) was keeping Stevie at RM for much of the start of the season.  Given his award-winning performances last season this hardly seemed a problem but his body language and form suggested different.  He did not look a happy lad out wide and many a game seemed to pass him by.  Then came Momo's injury and Gerrard's return to the middle.  For those that plump for Stevie in the middle, the numbers look good: he played his last match on the right, I believe, against Arsenal--just days after Momo's injury at Birmingham (Rafa opted for a Zenden/Alonso CM partnership against Arsenal).  Since then, he, and the team, have not looked back.  Stevie's looked happier and hungrier in the middle, his form's improved, he's chipped in with a few goals and the team's winning again.  Some see this as the reason for our resurgence and I'll certainly agree that it's been a major factor, alongside a run of games against poor teams that have allowed us to build confidence and momentum.     The key for me is that the skipper seems happier and that makes him play much, much better.

But, does this mean that Rafa erred in playing him out wide rather than Pennant when Sissoko was fit?  At the time, Jermaine often looked out of his depth while Momo was on form.  Couple this with the problems occuring at LM and I can understand Rafa's decision to opt for 3/4 of the midfield that played such a huge part in our success last season.  Of course, hindsight being what it is, perhaps it's easy to say that Rafa should have just gritted his teeth, stuck with Pennant on the right, and moved Gerrard into the middle ahead of Momo (or even a struggling Alonso, for some). 

I don't have an answer to that one but it's a point worth debating.  Less worthy of debate, for me, is this "over rotation" canard since the facts don't bear it out.  To conclude (phew!!!) Rafa's still rotating much like he has all season but the results are much better.  And, his most persistent rotations--Agger/Hyypia and Bellamy/Crouch--make sense and are working a treat.  So, what say you, rotation-haters?  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:34 pm

You have convinced me Bob, I now realise I was right all the time :D

I have a mental picture of all your students running back and forward to your desk, with various stats about Liverpool scribbled on scraps of paper, while you sit there collating the information before passing it on to us. :D
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:40 pm

s@int wrote:You have convinced me Bob, I now realise I was right all the time :D

I have a mental picture of all your students running back and forward to your desk, with various stats about Liverpool scribbled on scraps of paper, while you sit there collating the information before passing it on to us. :D

:idea

Never thought to conscript students to the task, mate.  An assignment on LFC sounds like a brilliant idea to me! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:56 pm

As always Bob, a well thought out and interesting post loaded with facts. Facts don't lie of course but what the stats can't tell you is the bit that really matters I think. It's not just about the number of changes in my opinion, it's the type of changes and their potential to unsettle the team unit.

Now just to prove that old Micky hasn't gone completely barking I'll give you a daft example to demonstrate the point. Say Rafa gave an assurance that barring injury, he was only going to ever change one member of the team each game from now on. Traditionalists and sceptics everywhere would say thank God for that, he's seen the light. Of course what he then does in our hypothetical championship manager situation is to play Reina in one game, Dudek in the next and so on. Only one change per game, but the World would say that's a ridiculous way to carry on. Rafa wouldn't do that of course, I merely offer it up to demonstrate that numerical considerations are not the only ones in hand here.

Now back to our over rotations at the start of the season. Ones which stand out for me in terms of inhibiting our chances of developing momentum were the Champions League qualifier at home a gainst Haifa where we went in with one up top (Bellamy), played 4-5-1 and were fortunate to scrape a 2-1 win. This meant we had to play a much stronger team over there to ensure qualification. Sheffield United away where we played Bellamy and Fowler up top against a confirmed long-ball team, with dear old Bolo anchoring the midfield. From there it just spiralled out of control really. Gerrard found himself playing on the left, Crouch found himself on the bench despite being in the richest vein of goalscoring form of his life, while the back four was spun and changed on a week to week basis. That team spirit and cohesive play was damaged is up for debate, the fact that team spirit and cohesive team play was conspicuous by its absense is indisputeable fact.

So even in this run we are still changing the team. I thought that would still be the case. That said, without looking at the stats I'll wager Gerrard and Alonso have played central mid in practically every single game. Similarly, Carragher wil have been practically ever-present (lets not forget he was "rested" as well) and the back four will not have had more than one change to it very often. Pennant will have come in and out of the team, so will Aurelio while the fron tmen will have had one on the bench now and then. The core eleven though will have reamined. I can't speak for anybody else, but when you see Steven Gerrard playing on the left-wing that for me epitomises over rotation and silliness.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:18 pm

Excellent post BadBob.

Bigmick points out

So even in this run we are still changing the team. I thought that would still be the case. That said, without looking at the stats I'll wager Gerrard and Alonso have played central mid in practically every single game. Similarly, Carragher wil have been practically ever-present (lets not forget he was "rested" as well) and the back four will not have had more than one change to it very often. Pennant will have come in and out of the team, so will Aurelio while the fron tmen will have had one on the bench now and then. The core eleven though will have reamined. I can't speak for anybody else, but when you see Steven Gerrard playing on the left-wing that for me epitomises over rotation and silliness.

This is correct. There's a respected coach here, Caparrós, coach of Deportivo and former coach of Sevilla, that is a firm defender of rotation provided that what he calles the Spine, CB, Midfielder, and one of the strikers doesn't change much. In this sense what you describe is that we have maintained the spine unchanged, and most of the rotations (up to the 2.5 changes per  game) have been in the peripheria.

I'd like to ask something to the antirotation camp. Can any body tell me any top team in Europe that is playing regularly on wednesdays and it's not rotating? Barcelona, Madrid AFAICT, are rotating not only the spine but all the squad, specially Barcelona.

Is this the reason of Barcelona's troubles? I don't know but they did the same yesteryear with utter success.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:50 pm

bigmick wrote:As always Bob, a well thought out and interesting post loaded with facts. Facts don't lie of course but what the stats can't tell you is the bit that really matters I think. It's not just about the number of changes in my opinion, it's the type of changes and their potential to unsettle the team unit.

Now just to prove that old Micky hasn't gone completely barking I'll give you a daft example to demonstrate the point. Say Rafa gave an assurance that barring injury, he was only going to ever change one member of the team each game from now on. Traditionalists and sceptics everywhere would say thank God for that, he's seen the light. Of course what he then does in our hypothetical championship manager situation is to play Reina in one game, Dudek in the next and so on. Only one change per game, but the World would say that's a ridiculous way to carry on. Rafa wouldn't do that of course, I merely offer it up to demonstrate that numerical considerations are not the only ones in hand here.

Now back to our over rotations at the start of the season. Ones which stand out for me in terms of inhibiting our chances of developing momentum were the Champions League qualifier at home a gainst Haifa where we went in with one up top (Bellamy), played 4-5-1 and were fortunate to scrape a 2-1 win. This meant we had to play a much stronger team over there to ensure qualification. Sheffield United away where we played Bellamy and Fowler up top against a confirmed long-ball team, with dear old Bolo anchoring the midfield. From there it just spiralled out of control really. Gerrard found himself playing on the left, Crouch found himself on the bench despite being in the richest vein of goalscoring form of his life, while the back four was spun and changed on a week to week basis. That team spirit and cohesive play was damaged is up for debate, the fact that team spirit and cohesive team play was conspicuous by its absense is indisputeable fact.

Ahhh, I knew I could count on you to come back with some key counter-points, Mick.  Nice one!

Just for the record, I perfectly understand that it's not about raw numbers when it comes to rotation but, as you say, who is rotated and in what situation.  That's what I was getting at with the Gerrard discussion at the end of my, err, epic. :D  It does seem, however, that some--mostly members of the press--just get rather bean-counter about this issue and it does my head in.  Hence the stats to demonstrate that Rafa's still changing the same number of players around from game to game and yet we're managing to win, which puts paid to the notion that winning teams play a "Best 11 week in, week out."  In our case, we have at least a "Best 14 or 15" and mixing and matching amongst them is to our benefit.

Now, to your other points:

1) Rotation to the back four was, I think, a matter of necessity rather than tactics at first.  Losing Carra and Riise to injury in the first game of the season threw a massive spanner in the works and contributed plenty to our listless form.  But it also led to some subsequent selection head-aches: do we stick with Agger, who'd been one of our better performers, when Carra returns or do we drop him?  Rafa opted to rotate Agger and Sami (primarily) and I think it's borne fruit, in that it's allowed us to groom Sami's replacement gradually, rather than abruptly.  Aurelio did not have quite the same impact as Agger whilst standing in for Riise, such that JAR pretty much went straight back into the team.  Recently, though, we've seen Rafa trying to integrate him into the side and that effort may yet prove vital.

2) Dropping Crouch to the bench during his purple patch was foolish, I'll grant you.  But, conversely, I'm not sure that sitting Bellamy down for several weeks at the start of the season would have served him or the team well in the long run.  Let's not forget that his pace has caused teams problems even when he wasn't scoring.  Perhaps Kuyt could have made way for Crouch more than he did but, then again, we were all chuffed with the Dutchman's performances too.

3) You're absolutely right that Gerrard and Alonso have been in the centre of the park since the Arsenal loss, save for Xabi's brief injury (recall Carra as a defensive midfielder against Portsmouth?).  And, I'll agree with you that playing Stevie at LM is not a clever move but I can understand why Rafa was tempted: he's got one of the best midfielders in the world at his disposal--one who can attack well from the flanks--and a gaping hole at LM in a big game against a Chelsea team playing a makeshift RB.    Moreover, Gonzales had a knock at the time, Riise was hurt, Garcia was rubbish against Everton the week before and Aurelio was undistinguished against Eindhoven at midweek.  Why not give Gerrard a go?  The Bolton game was more of a puzzler for sure but with neither Garcia nor Gonzales covering themselves with glory down the left again it must have looked tempting, especially since Gerrard didn't have a terrible game there against Chelsea. 

But, Gerrard on the left was always going to be stop-gap.  Gerrard on the right, however, is where the real debate lies.  And I wonder if you still think that is his best position given, as you say, that we've had a more settled and effective side since he's partnered Alonso in the middle?  Perhaps Rafa's policy of rotating Gerrard and Pennant at RM was the real blow to team cohesion?  Perhaps Rafa should have persisted with Pennant through thick and thin, despite desperately indifferent form, so that Gerrard could anchor the team at CM?  Again, given Pennant's form, Gerrard's performances last season out wide and the form of Sissoko in the centre I can certainly understand why Rafa did what he did.  But, in hindsight, it looks like a decision that was at the root of our problems.

So, this where I think the "Gerrard in the centre" brigade have carried the day--we are a better side now that the skipper is happy and the skipper is happy because he's in his favourite position playing a role he's comfortable with.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pedro Maradona » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:26 pm

great post, good debate and lots of good points, I got to say sabres example of the spanish coach capparos is a good one, it makes sense not to rotate the spine of the team,and i dont think its a coincidence that results have greatly improved in the last few weeks and with the spine of the team being largely reina, carra, agger, gerard, alonso, kuyt and bellamy playing regularly. I think part of our poor start to the season can be put down to a lot of new signings getting used to the new surroundings, and our very poor pre-season, so perhaps the team didnt start well and Rafa wasnt able to pick a settled side....apart from the cup results our form has improved even away from home and I think we can finish very strongly...
I think part of Liverpools problems this season was the one dimensional aspect of our play this year with very little attacking via the wings, due to poor performances from the likes of JAR, aurelio, gonzalez, pennant, (all seem to be settling /improving to varying degrees the last few games ) and this deficiency has meant we tend to attack through the middle a lot and good teams are able to adapt to this fairly easily....Personally when we play everything through the middle and we go a goal down I always fear we arent capable of getting back into the game because we cant break down teams.  This deficiency has also meant a temptation to play steven gerrard out wide.
I know it sounds obvious but a team in good form once they get on a run of games are usually hard to beat, confidence always parallels form, we are confident at home we seem to always do well at home, etc etc, when we play well and go on a run of winning the likes of pennant and aurelio get more confident and start to improve. for this to happen these players need to play regularly, that was missing at the start of the year and I think as time goes on it will improve......and now I stop rambling
Pedro Maradona

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:28 pm

I'm still a Gerrard on the right man at heart Bob, simply because as I've said many times it's easier in my view to get him on the ball in the final third when he starts there. That said I can't argue with the results we've had since he moved to his favoured central midfield slot. My suspicion is however, that there was a change of emphasis in the play of Sissoko in the early part of the season which ahd a huge impact on the way that Gerrard performed. I obviously don't know whether he (Sissoko) had been told not to hunt the ball in the opposition final third with anything like the frequency we had become accustomed to, or whether Momo was simply off-form but I am absolutely convinced this impacted on the effectiveness of those around him.

FWIW my suspicion is that he had been asked to curtail his maraudiings in the hope that it would make us more compact and difficult to beat in the early part of the season. That the ploy failed is in the history books now of course, as the limitations of Sissoko as a pure holding midfielder were exposed and the loss of him as a game breaker behind enemy lines meant we began to look toothless and one dimensional going forward. Many pointed to the loss of form of Alonso and Gerrard at the time, but it was my suspicion then that Sissoko was the key. The fact that Gerrard has come into the central midfield slot and judging by reports reverted to a Sissoko (from last season) like role of closing down in the final third (with obvious Gerrard add-ons aswell) makes me think I might be onto something. All that said, there is always the distinct possibility I'm talking abject tosh  :eyebrow
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:41 pm

bigmick wrote:I'm still a Gerrard on the right man at heart Bob, simply because as I've said many times it's easier in my view to get him on the ball in the final third when he starts there. That said I can't argue with the results we've had since he moved to his favoured central midfield slot. My suspicion is however, that there was a change of emphasis in the play of Sissoko in the early part of the season which ahd a huge impact on the way that Gerrard performed. I obviously don't know whether he (Sissoko) had been told not to hunt the ball in the opposition final third with anything like the frequency we had become accustomed to, or whether Momo was simply off-form but I am absolutely convinced this impacted on the effectiveness of those around him.

FWIW my suspicion is that he had been asked to curtail his maraudiings in the hope that it would make us more compact and difficult to beat in the early part of the season. That the ploy failed is in the history books now of course, as the limitations of Sissoko as a pure holding midfielder were exposed and the loss of him as a game breaker behind enemy lines meant we began to look toothless and one dimensional going forward. Many pointed to the loss of form of Alonso and Gerrard at the time, but it was my suspicion then that Sissoko was the key. The fact that Gerrard has come into the central midfield slot and judging by reports reverted to a Sissoko (from last season) like role of closing down in the final third (with obvious Gerrard add-ons aswell) makes me think I might be onto something. All that said, there is always the distinct possibility I'm talking abject tosh  :eyebrow

Interesting thoughts, mate.  I wonder if Momo was told to sit a little deeper this season to prevent getting exposed should Pennant, Gonzales, Garcia or whoever was playing out wide pushed forward.  Perhaps, too, Alonso's sluggish start was a factor.  In any event, Gerrard was not getting reliable service when playing on the flank and this seemed to affect his mentality as well as his form.

Of late he and Alonso have dovetailed rather nicely.  Xabi is getting forward a lot more than I ever would have expected from this pairing and Gerrard is doing a fair bit of the 'donkey work' behind him.  He's also bursting forward at appropriate times and looks dangerous every time he's on the ball once more.  Sissoko, I'm afraid, is going to have to wait for his chance to come back into the team once fit.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pedro Maradona » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:54 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
bigmick wrote:I'm still a Gerrard on the right man at heart Bob, simply because as I've said many times it's easier in my view to get him on the ball in the final third when he starts there. That said I can't argue with the results we've had since he moved to his favoured central midfield slot. My suspicion is however, that there was a change of emphasis in the play of Sissoko in the early part of the season which ahd a huge impact on the way that Gerrard performed. I obviously don't know whether he (Sissoko) had been told not to hunt the ball in the opposition final third with anything like the frequency we had become accustomed to, or whether Momo was simply off-form but I am absolutely convinced this impacted on the effectiveness of those around him.

Interesting thoughts, mate.  I wonder if Momo was told to sit a little deeper this season to prevent getting exposed should Pennant, Gonzales, Garcia or whoever was playing out wide pushed forward.  Perhaps, too, Alonso's sluggish start was a factor.  In any event, Gerrard was not getting reliable service when playing on the flank and this seemed to affect his mentality as well as his form.

Of late he and Alonso have dovetailed rather nicely.  Xabi is getting forward a lot more than I ever would have expected from this pairing and Gerrard is doing a fair bit of the 'donkey work' behind him.  He's also bursting forward at appropriate times and looks dangerous every time he's on the ball once more.  Sissoko, I'm afraid, is going to have to wait for his chance to come back into the team once fit.

I must say the alonso gerrard pairing in centre mid has been excellent in the last few games....I like momo a lot but he is more of a gamebreaker and his distribution lets him down in comparison to alonso (alonso on form is possibly the best passer of the ball since big Jan i reckon) and the alonso/gerrard pairing gives more attacking options and as both alonso and gerrard are both excellent defensively aswell it is a better pairing in my opinion and shouldnt be rotated when they are playing as well as they are.....
Pedro Maradona

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:10 am

With this rotation talk, and although Rafa is still changing the odd player now which Bob is pointing out. It was the timimng of the rotations, straight from the offset of the season Rafa was chopping and changing. Thats where it went wrong for me simple really. The team was never able to get any kind of cohesion, and the results went along way to show this, not only this by Rafa was rotating with new players who would also need time to settle. IMO he should of started with his best eleven (by the way does has he worked out what that is yet?). Then as the season wore on he should of introduced his rotations, once the side had settled, he never gave the team the chance to find there feet IMO, and that WOULD of had a major effect on our results I'm sure.
66-1112520797

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:40 am

Bamaga man wrote:Reading some of these posts, there are some people on here who wont here anything about Rafa's heavy early season rotations, and yet I'm sure a few of them on here were pretty sceptical at the time. And then theres the old Gerrards better on the right brigade (fair enough).

Alot of factors would of hindered our early form, but IMO rotation was key to it. Gerrards game has picked up, not because he's been moved back to the center in his favoured position but because we've played weaker opposition, like Chelsea  :sleep

I agree. I was critical of the rotation policy and still am; the fact that we have hit form and players such as Pennant are putting in better performances is no coicidence - the team is settled and rotated far less.

As for Stevie, For me he is having by his very high standards an average season. He is still clearly our best player but he is not hitting the peaks of last season - something that would be impossible for him to maintain anyway (he is part human after all)!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:58 am

Rotate..Ro.fuc.king tation!

I think its worked and worked well!
At season start Raffa had to put players in(new signings)...why sign a player and let them watch?
Kuyt...Bellamy..Pennant..Aurellio for example!What did anyone want him to do?Drop last years player in each collective position and see who was best over 2 or 3 games?

WISE UP

Tinkering was a forced hand,forced by a determination to get exactly what we need or needed!For some to sit and say that rotation killed us ...It made us think! At least Raffa has the balls to try and see,how else would we seperate the cream from the milk?
Some say this season is over..personally i feel that may be the case,but inside me is an eternal LFC optomist that will always believe we have a chance unless mathematically impossible!

The rotation that Raffa was crucified for has in my eyes made us a stronger team in the chase for second or maybe first...look at us now as opposed to 2 months ago?
Ideally all players will grasp rotation and play with a smile..our boys need to know that being dropped at times does not mean they have done bad.At times its quite the opposite and they are rested because their services are valued..Put in a bit of honesty,communication and good man management that i feel our manager lacks and Presto....We will be unstoppable!!

Sometimes even the best need to be told they are great ...It aint Raffas style but i feel some of our players need a professional hug at times!

BTW we are not out of the EPL or C/L.....While we are in we can still win!LFC is going the right way...I love them...BELIEVE!!  :buttrock
66-1120597113

Postby Espionage » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:02 pm

I have the same stance that I had from the very beginning.  The whole arguement is not about rotation, over-rotation, just-right-rotation, consistent-rotation.  Everything stems down the the fact that we basically have 2 players for each position with almost equally convincing arguements for each.  At the end of the day this is what Rafa wants; every week there will be a new headache over selection and he is willing to put all his eggs in the one basket that rotation works.

Rafa is rotating the same amount that he was at the start of the season, the only thing that has changed is that people are not argueing as much about selection because there are less players to choose from.  With that in mind, we are winning now and we were not then.  Why that is I am not sure, many factors were at play and the cause of our poor form stems from many things.  Rafa has been making decisions true to his original philosophy from the start of this season to present. 

Has Rafa now got it right? No. I he always had it right.  It was the players that now have it right.

I am a believer in Rafa Benetiz, I would go as far as to say that any decision he makes is the right one.  If we lose a game that we should not have then it is 100% the fault of the players.  You may call me crazy, but at the end of the day we have a Manager of the highest level, one that I could comfortably say that I wouldnt swap for anyone else.  Many believe that we should be critical of our manager and always analyse him and apply pressure.  The way I see it, he makes better decisions then anyone else in the world bar "argueably a few".  We should be happy that for the forseeable future the last thing we have to worry about is our Manager.
Last edited by Espionage on Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:11 pm

Espionage wrote:I have the same stance that I had from the very beginning.  The whole arguement is not about rotation, over-rotation, just-right-rotation, consistent-rotation.  Everything stems down the the fact that we basically have 2 players for each position with almost equally convincing arguements for each.  At the end of the day this is what Rafa wants; every week there will be a new headache over selection and he is willing to put all his eggs in the one basket that rotation works.

Rafa is rotating the same amount that he was at the start of the season, the only thing that has changed is that people are not argueing as much about selection because there are less players to choose from.  With that in mind, we are winning now and we were not then.  Why that is I am not sure, many factors were at play and the cause of our poor form stems from many things.  Rafa has been making decisions true to his original philosophy from the start of this season to present. 

Has Rafa now got it right? No. I he always had it right.  It was the players that now have it right.

I am a believer in Rafa Benetiz, I would go as far as to say that any decision he makes is the right one.  If we lose a game that we should not have then it is 100% the fault of the players.  You may call me crazy, but at the end of the day we have a Manager of the highest level, one that I could comfortably say that I wouldnt swap for anyone else.  Many believe that we should be critical of our manager and always analyse him and apply pressure.  The way I see it, he makes better decisions then anyone else in the world bar "argueably a few".  We should be happy that for the forseeable future the last thing we have to worry about is our Manager.

Aurellio?
Dont Rotate him!!Great signing !
66-1120597113

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion