So important we kept steven gerrard

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:28 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
The_Rock wrote:yes....gerrard is god.  :bowdown

:D No Robbie Fowlers God, 5 finger salute today to the manure fans, Legend.
Stevie G is out of this world. :love:

The scum getting beat and Robbie doing the 5 fingers, f*ucking magic!
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:48 pm

Glofut wrote:TBH, it got on my nerves when people made out we were a one man team last year, to such a point I was glad when the rest of the lads got to play without SG in the team when he was injured. When it came to that Sunday/Monday when it looked like he was going, we had to face it, and I said it then and Ill say it now ... there is NO WAY we would have fallen apart just because he might have gone. Xabi played with extra confidence when SG wasnt playing last season, and so did a number of others. SG's attitude is 500 times better now than it was then, but there was a feeling that if he was going, "so be it and we'll be fine".

It just isn't the Liverpool way to do this hero worship :censored:, and when people cite the fact Fowler was named God, it was in fact THE PLAYERS first who called him that, not the fans, and they were being IRONIC ... because if the praise he was getting from the media and all.

Agree 100%.

It is good we kept SG; but if we'd sold him Rafa would have spent the money on at least 3 world class players.
And Carra would have been captain.

I must admit even though SG was brilliant last season I didn't like his 2 comments about us not being good enough to win the Champs League. Not what a club captain should be saying.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:59 am

Stevies right foot wrote:Even on an off day the guy is great.His dribbling ,heading,thinking and awareness is just magnificent.All that and not forgetting his shooting.One of the best right feet in the game without doubt.
The man is a genius who can turn a game in a second.

You forgot to include the best things about him (his drive, tackling, touch and passion)... however you are correct.
115-1073096938

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:04 am

Like everyone else, I'm thrilled that Gerrard's still here. At his best, you'd need 14 men in your team to replace the guy.

However, something definitely needs saying - last season, if Gerrard and Carra didn't play well, we'd lose. This season, even if Gerrard and Carra aren't having their best games, we've got enough quality all over the pitch to get a result. Big, big difference, and our position reflects it.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:06 am

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
JBG wrote:Its not all down to Gerrard - Hyppia, Carragher and Crouch have been excellent this season, as has Alonso. Very few players are playing badly for us these days.

Had Gerrard gone I don't think that in the greater context we would have struggled. Benitez is a world class manager and I think he would have easily coped with Gerrard going.

gerrard going would have been a devastating blow to this club.
he`s the best midfielder i`ve seen in over 30 years at anfield and he would have been almost impossible to replace. people my age will remember how much we missed souness and we never seemed to fill the void until we bought half a side in the late eighties.
gerrard is probably the best midfielder i`ve seen in english football tbh, brady,hoddle,robson and keane etc were all great but no way they had the complete game gerrard has.

Can't agree with that, when he's won the same as Keane and Vieira then i'd consider it. I'd also say he's very different to both players.

Roy Keane is probably the third best footballer i've seen live at a game. Gerrard is definately getting there but you can see by his use of the ball on occassions he's got a bit more to go first. Also, tactically he's nowhere near what Keane was. Keane could not only dominate a game, but dictate the pace of the game. While Gerrard can lead and dominate games by being everywhere, he doesn't have the tactical nouse of Keane, Vieira or even Alonso for that matter, he can't control the pace of a game and kill it off.
115-1073096938

Postby matrix » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:07 am

im glad gerrard stayed to but tbh we would have got shi.t loads of money for him from chelski so i have to agree with some members on this one  we would have strenthened the team in all areas...but im glad he stayed you bet your ar.se i am  :cool:

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:14 am

Also, if we had Essien and Alonso and midfield we'd still have a hell of a midfield. Essien's a top class player. He's not as good as Gerrard, but he's probably as good as Alonso alround or near enough.

Gerrard is WORLD CLASS make no mistake, not a term i use lightly. However i don't think we're a one man team at all and we Sami, Alonso and Reina who are quality players and the general quality of the squad is excellent with only Cisse and now Traore not being of a premiership standard.

I am yet to see Kromkamp though and Agger.
115-1073096938

Postby Effes » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:02 am

stu_the_red wrote:Can't agree with that, when he's won the same as Keane and Vieira then i'd consider it. I'd also say he's very different to both players.

Well I can't agree with that either.
Using medals as a benchmark to judge a player is one thing but using medals to compare players is clumsy.

There have been fantastic players who have won only a few medals. And there have been just "good" players who have won lots.

SG is immense. SG is only 25.
He's different to Keane, he's more similar to Viera.
But one thing is for certain he does have as much an impact.
Look at how many Man of the Matches he gets.
Last season he won about 80% of them - it was laughable.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sarge » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:30 pm

A.B. wrote:
If he would have gone we would be around the 8th or 10th position now.

Can't agree with that at all. I'm delighted that Gerrard stayed, he's a fantastic player but what your statement is saying to me that you think we're a one man team. We're far from that. Had Gerrard gone with the money we could have strenghted in many areas in the squad.

I'm surprised that you out of all people make a comment like that. The team has been doing the work, not just Steven Gerrard.

Hear hear A.B,

Indeed Gerrard is our best utility player in the team but to say that he's the key to our engine I think is a little bit uncalled for.
Rafa is a smart man by bringing in alonso. He projected that Gerrard "may" leave the team and he needed a cover if situation indeed "unfavourable". Alonso can assume Gerrard's position without affecting the game play. Players come and go; managers know that fact. If Gerrard decides to go, then eventually he has to let him.
Nevertheless, rafa is a smart man. When Real Madrid lost Makalele to Chelsea, they did not have a good contingency plan. Believe me, should Gerrard goes elsewhere, rafa will have his replacement at ALL cost.

The only question is that can the team perform without Gerrard? I would say a BIG yes.
http://www.pbh2.com/humor/soccer-dive-gifs/attachment/soccer-dive-gifs-2/
Sarge

Postby redmikey » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:15 pm

The great thing about watchin SG this season is that he is enjoying his football again.
He is not worried about if he is going to leave the club he undoubtably loves in the closed season

He is not having to do all of the work week in and out

he is not looking at the squad thinking who are some of these clowns.

You can see it in his play and he can improve which should be feckin scary for the rest of the prem

Gerrard ,Alonso ,sissoko      what a future as a unit
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Feeney » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:34 pm

The team that you see today is vastly different from the team last season, where rightly so, Gerrard carried it on far too many occasions. I don't agree that we will be languishing in mid table obscurity at all. We would be in pretty much the same position, IMO. How many times this season have you heard us being labelled a 'one man team?' Not once, by my count. The other players that wern't giving as much as they should have are now 100% more committed than last season and it's this reason why I feel that Gerrard's loss would have been felt mearly as losing a cog in a machine, rather than the whole machine breaking down.

Gerrard, for the record IMO, is a devastating player that possesses an extraordinary amount of abilities and talent which all would be missed if he had of left. However, I don't believe any player is irreplaceable, no matter how talented.

While I would have been unhappy to have seen Gerrard go last year, it by no means would have been the end of the world. £35mil would have got us some extrordinarily talented players - at the time my suggestion was that if he wants to go, use the cash to bring in Ballack and Samuel - problem solved, not just in Gerrard's position, but in defence as well.

CGGY mentioned Balague's book in that she read Rafa already had Essien lined up as a replacement - the book also mentions another replacement which is a certain Momo Sissoko. Rafa's not soft - he's hedged his bets either way and the team will always come first and not the individual. Rafa's a firm believer in there's no 'I' in Team (Baros will testify) and it's the team that has us where we are this season.

:)

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:07 pm

I'm absolutely staggered by the number of people, many of them respected posters on here who believe that we could do without the best and most influential midfield player in the Premeirship and still be in about the same position in the league. How so? I just can't see it at all.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:43 pm

bigmick wrote:I'm absolutely staggered by the number of people, many of them respected posters on here who believe that we could do without the best and most influential midfield player in the Premeirship and still be in about the same position in the league. How so? I just can't see it at all.

He's an excellent player. I'm actually staggered that respected posters think we're a one man team. We aren't.

Kewell, Alonso, Sissoko, Luis Garcia is still a VERY good midfield.

Gerrard is world class, he's one player though. To say we'd be 8th or 9th without him is in my opinion not only disrespectful to the other players, but a bit silly. We'd still be in a similar position if we had Essien instead of him in my opinion, maybe a few points worse off.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:34 pm

bigmick wrote:I'm absolutely staggered by the number of people, many of them respected posters on here who believe that we could do without the best and most influential midfield player in the Premeirship and still be in about the same position in the league. How so? I just can't see it at all.

Of course Gerrard has played a massive part but my point is that all of our success this season is not down to Gerrard alone. Others have played their part as well.

I'm certain that had Gerrard left, Benitez would have spent the money wisely, and there is every chance that in addition to the players he actually did bring in, there would possibly have been two players like Essien and Simao on board as well.

I think we were going to do well this season anyway, I'm glad that Gerrard is here, but I think people overstate his importance: Carragher, Finnan, Alonso etc all also play huge rolls.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:14 am

JBG wrote:

Of course Gerrard has played a massive part but my point is that all of our success this season is not down to Gerrard alone. Others have played their part as well.

I'm certain that had Gerrard left, Benitez would have spent the money wisely, and there is every chance that in addition to the players he actually did bring in, there would possibly have been two players like Essien and Simao on board as well.

I think we were going to do well this season anyway, I'm glad that Gerrard is here, but I think people overstate his importance: Carragher, Finnan, Alonso etc all also play huge rolls.

Agreed. As for him being the most influencial midfielder in the league... well i'd have to think about that when am sober... :D
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion