Sissoko

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:48 pm

and you know this......how? ???
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:45 am

So anyway, Liverpool are holding a press conference this morning with Sissoko. :)
jonnymac1979

Postby tubby » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:59 am

Yes its this morning. Hopefully Rafa may announce some other signings. Im really happy sissoko has joined :censored:. Hes really fast and is you noticed last nice, we were passing the ball around really smooth and silky last night but at times were lacking a bit of pace to finish the move of but with players like Sissoko and Gonzalez, we will soon be playing the silky latin style football that Rafa loves. I cant wait to see Liverpool in the premiership this season. And before anyone says that Soddoko is just hype talk like Cheyrou and Le Tallec think again. The difference in quality between the French and Spanish leagues are wide apart and Sissoko has already proved his worth by playing often over 2 years whilst Rafa was there ( and won 2 titles). Im not disrespecting the French leage buty come on its :censored:.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:41 pm

Never seen Sissoko play myself, but Rafa has clearly got a buying strategy of going for the best young players around (OK, Figo excepted). We already have a fairly young side. Looks to me as though we've almost got a squad good enough to go for the league this season, and we could be unbeatable in 2 or 3 years time
neilE

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:38 pm

Sissoko has a good "mentality"
"I can promise the fans that I will work as hard as possible during everygame. I'll work my socks off for this club. I will run for every minute I am on the field and look to win as many tackles as I can. That's what my game is all about and I am looking forward to improving just by working with so many great players every day."

Article in full
From .tv

Talking to Liverpoolfc.tv before this morning's press conference, Sissoko said: "It's always nice to be compared with great players but it's not a problem for me. It doesn't put me under any extra pressure at all.

"I am still young and have a lot of work to do before I can be compared to Vieira. It's a good target for me to aim for."

Sissoko admits he's delighted to be teaming up once again with Benitez, after playing for the Liverpool boss at Valencia.

He said: "I have a great deal of respect for Mr Benitez. He helped me a lot at Valencia and he was the main reason why I decided to come to Liverpool.

"He showed last season with Liverpool what a great manager he is and I want to be a part of this club's future. I know all about the history and tradition of the club and I am honoured to be here.

"As well as the manager I already know some members of the backroom staff and some of the players. That will help me settle in.

"I'm just looking forward to challenging for a first team place now. There are a lot of great midfielders here already and so I know it's going to be difficult, but I am still young and highly motivated to prove my worth."

So what qualities will our new 20 year old midfielder bring to the Liverpool side?

"My favourite position is centre midfield and I think that's where the manager sees me playing," he added.

"I started off as a defender but Mr Benitez moved me into midfield and helped me develop as a player in that position.

"I can promise the fans that I will work as hard as possible during everygame. I'll work my socks off for this club. I will run for every minute I am on the field and look to win as many tackles as I can. That's what my game is all about and I am looking forward to improving just by working with so many great players every day."

Sissoko admits he came close to joining Everton earlier in the month, but now that he's opted for a move to the European Champions he's in no doubt he made the right decision.

"It's true to say I almost signed for Everton," he said. "It was very close. But as soon as Liverpool told me they were interested it was an easy decision to make.

"I expect the derby game to be tricky and I'm sure the Everon fans won't be pleased with me, but I don't see that as a problem.

"I'm a Red now and I couldn't be happier."

What makes this signing even more special is the fact that we snatched him from Everton.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:41 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:So anyway, Liverpool are holding a press conference this morning with Sissoko. :)

did you see that press conferance jmac??

if so, how did it go. i am unable to break free from the desk

sissoko looks a class act
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:46 pm

£5.6m on a third/fourth choice central midfielder when we are clearly short on funds and have serious problems in other area's.

I question this decision i really do.
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:54 pm

£5.6m on a third/fourth choice central midfielder when we are clearly short on funds and have serious problems in other area's.

How exactly do you know that we're short on funds? Yes we have problems in other areas but with Biscan gone we needed another midfielder. Hamman isn't going to last all season and neither might Alonso or Gerrard. Remember the injuries we had last season, it won't hurt to be prepared for the worst.

If we were really short on funds as you say I don't think Benitez would had bought him for 5.6 million. He's only spent 11.6 million pounds so far.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby laza » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:02 pm

A.B. wrote:

How exactly do you know that we're short on funds? Yes we have problems in other areas but with Biscan gone we needed another midfielder. Hamman isn't going to last all season and neither might Alonso or Gerrard. Remember the injuries we had last season, it won't hurt to be prepared for the worst.

If we were really short on funds as you say I don't think Benitez would had bought him for 5.6 million. He's only spent 11.6 million pounds so far.

True obviously the thought of Diao even starting  one match this season was too much to bear
Besides i thought we had a kitty of 25 million or was that figure just pulled out of the fantasy of Sky news report.
In saying that i still like to see some cash splashed out in the defence before season starts
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:03 pm

Yes £11.6million on a goalkeeper i am totally uncomfortable with and a central midfielder when we already have Gerrard and Alonso. Hamann also plays there and we also have Carragher and even Zenden who are more than capable of filling in that position.

Zenden is a decent signing. The rest of them this summer have been a huge dissapointment to say the least. I just hope Reina's as good as Rafa says he is.

We DESPERATELY need cover at centre half and right winger. Maybe even a striker aswell.

The priorities this year were GK, LM, RM and a centre forward). Zenden is a SLIGHT improvement and Riena i'm not so sure. But who plays if Sami or Jamie gets injured? or if Cisse is out?
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:12 pm

Yes £11.6million on a goalkeeper i am totally uncomfortable with and a central midfielder when we already have Gerrard and Alonso. Hamann also plays there and we also have Carragher and even Zenden who are more than capable of filling in that position.

We spent 6 million on Reina, 5.6 on Sissoko = 11.6

Last season we had Gerrard,Alonso,Hamman and Biscan, four midfielders. Alonso was injured and so was Gerrard and Hamann and Biscan.

I don't see why you are disapointed with having four central midfilders when we're going to play a lot more games this year than we did last year and once again if the injury bug gets us we will be prepared.

We DESPERATELY need cover at centre half and right winger. Maybe even a striker aswell.

The priorities this year were GK, LM, RM and a centre forward). Zenden is a SLIGHT improvement and Riena i'm not so sure. But who plays if Sami or Jamie gets injured? or if Cisse is out?

The transfer window isn't closed, if you know what our priorities are this year then I'm pretty damn sure Benitez does too.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:13 pm

Hold on Stu.

In Houllier's time when you first joined the forum you defended Houllier's signings and asked that they be given time.

I challenge anybody to say that they are an authority on Gonzalez. I haven't seen him play, and nobody I knows has seen him play.

He could be great, he could be terrible: we just don't know yet.

The same goes for Barragan.

We all have seen Pepe Reina play although most of us don't recall him. He played at Anfield for Barcelona as a teenager a couple of years ago.

Also, he was on Eurosport and Sky last year as Villareal did well so many people have at least a small knowledge of him. However, he is still largely unknown. Give him a chance.

The same goes for Sissoko. Rafa often plays 4-2-3-1, a formation that requires 3 central midfielders. we're fine if Hamman, Gerrard and Xabi are all fit, but after that we are short. I'll guarantee that we'll lose a few midfielders to injury so its no surprise that Benitez went out to sign another option.

Anyway, Hamman is getting old and there is no harm in buying in another young central midfielder to (hopefully) groom his as a long term replacement.

Sissoko can also play at right back and in an emergency, as a forward.

There's money in the kitty for another three signings: a decent up and coming centre half, a decent up and coming forward and an unknown amount for a right sided player.

You lambasted people on this forum before Stu for not showing patience in Houllier's day so why change your tune now?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:22 pm

Hold on Stu.

In Houllier's time when you first joined the forum you defended Houllier's signings and asked that they be given time.

I challenge anybody to say that they are an authority on Gonzalez. I haven't seen him play, and nobody I knows has seen him play.

He could be great, he could be terrible: we just don't know yet.

The same goes for Barragan.

We all have seen Pepe Reina play although most of us don't recall him. He played at Anfield for Barcelona as a teenager a couple of years ago.

Also, he was on Eurosport and Sky last year as Villareal did well so many people have at least a small knowledge of him. However, he is still largely unknown. Give him a chance.

The same goes for Sissoko. Rafa often plays 4-2-3-1, a formation that requires 3 central midfielders. we're fine if Hamman, Gerrard and Xabi are all fit, but after that we are short. I'll guarantee that we'll lose a few midfielders to injury so its no surprise that Benitez went out to sign another option.

Anyway, Hamman is getting old and there is no harm in buying in another young central midfielder to (hopefully) groom his as a long term replacement.

Sissoko can also play at right back and in an emergency, as a forward.

There's money in the kitty for another three signings: a decent up and coming centre half, a decent up and coming forward and an unknown amount for a right sided player.

You lambasted people on this forum before Stu for not showing patience in Houllier's day so why change your tune now?

The difference is JBG, i hadn't seen any of these players and one or two of them shown glimpses of potential straight away. I didn't ever ask for patience with Diouf/Diao or one or two others.

The fact is though i've seen Riena play 5 or 6 times for Villareal and Barca against against Wrexham... twice live now, i've never saw anything to impress me, i've seen him drop the ball and cost us goals and poor positional play from him. He'll get a chance, but he's got to be an improvement on Dudek or he'll be a waste of money.

As for Sissoko, like i said, i don't care if he turns out to be class. Whats the point? We've already got Gerrard and Alonso... we need to improve, not solidify. We aren't currently strong enough in ALOT of areas.

We NEED a top class keeper (I hope Riena's that keeper). We NEED a top class striker and a top class right midfielder. We also need AT LEAST cover in the centre of defence. Players like Traore are still near the first team... why i ask?

We have NO QUALITY on the right of midfield, we have 2 unproven strikers and one thats proven he's not good enough. We have TWO quality centre backs and NO COVER. We have a solid but not spectacular left side. The central midfield positions are the only ones with real out an out class there so why spend more money on that area for a player who MIGHT be god enough to be third choice? It doesn't make sense to me.

Strengthen your weakest area's first would havew been my priority.
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:28 pm

As for Sissoko, like i said, i don't care if he turns out to be class. Whats the point? We've already got Gerrard and Alonso... we need to improve, not solidify. We aren't currently strong enough in ALOT of areas.

Why are you so stubborn on this issue? What happens when Gerrard and Alonso get injured, like it happened last season. Hamann isn't going to last all season as he's in his 30's. You got have depth in a squad. Yes Gerrard and Alonso are class but don't expect them to play every single game next season, they could be injured or suspended. You never know, once again I point out what happened last season.

We have NO QUALITY on the right of midfield, we have 2 unproven strikers and one thats proven he's not good enough. We have TWO quality centre backs and NO COVER. We have a solid but not spectacular left side. The central midfield positions are the only ones with real out an out class there so why spend more money on that area for a player who MIGHT be god enough to be third choice? It doesn't make sense to me.

Strengthen your weakest area's first would havew been my priority.

You're reacting as if the transfer window closes tomorrow. The transfer window is open until the 30th of August which is plenty of time for Rafa to buy cover for the back four, a striker and right winger. FFS come on.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby MCYan » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:31 pm

Rafa said negotiations on all his targets are stalled, including crouch...

But we desperately need a quality right wing!!
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion