Half way through the season - What lies ahead?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:17 pm

So we are now officially half way through the Premiership campaign and have made significant strides in our playing style since Benitez took over from Houllier. Attending Anfield now provides us with the opportunity to experience memorable matches and inventive attacking football that is pleasing to the eye, something that was rare in the latter stages under the previous regime. We lie sixth, one point off fifth, have reached the last sixteen of the Champions League (anything else now is a bonus), and are in the semi finals of the Carling Cup. To me, the signs look good for the second half of the season. At the beginning of the season I always said that the second half of the season was when we should be judged as this would be when we would produce our best football. We can also strengthen in the January transfer window, with a top class striker being the main priority. Speculation suggests reinforcements are on their way with the January sales just around the corner and first to wipe his feet on the Anfield Welcome mat looks like being Fernando Morientes.

Sandwiched in between a run of potentially winnable games over the next month or so is a tough New Year’s Day clash against table toppers Chelski and the visit of our dearest friends from across the M6. These games have extra significance and will provide a barometer of how far we are from being able to challenge the top 3. Having already beaten Arsenal at home, and having one of the best home records in the Country, victory in these games should help convince our Captain that the grass isn’t greener on the other side and inspire him to remain at Anfield beyond his current deal and help us challenge for honours for many years to come.

Generally speaking, Rafa has been unlucky as we have suffered with countless injuries to a squad already lacking in depth and despite this we have produced moments that will live long in the memory such as the victories over Monaco and Olympiakos in the Champions League and Arsenal in the Premiership. Special praise must also be heaped upon the mixture of reserves and youngsters who have progressed to the semi Finals of the Carling Cup. A superb achievement given the opposition they have overcome along the way such as the tricky away tie at Millwall, disposing of the holders Middlesbrough who fielded a more experienced side than ours at Anfield and of course the penalty shoot-out win against a full-strength Spurs side at White Hart Lane. What remains to be seen is whether Rafa will keep faith with the young guns against Watford and if we manage to progress to the Final against likely opponents Chelsea- where a Herculian effort would be needed to triumph in a match that would be synonymous with David and Goliath.

Despite all the positives that have materialised under Benitez, there are also a few concerns that continue to bother me. His insistence on freshening up the team when a full strength side is required following impressive victories often backfires and results in us taking two steps forward, one step back. The defeat at Goodison has stuck in every Reds fans throat, not because the fair result would have been a draw in a drab affair, but because Rafa seemed to misunderstand the importance of the derby and fielded a weakened side against Everton who were nine points ahead of us in the league and about to play their “Cup Final”. Dropping Alonso in favour of the ineffective Diao was a bizarre error of judgment as was the decision to replace the improving Steve Finnan in favour of the out of sorts Josemi who had never experienced the unique occasion of a Merseyside derby before.

Events in the first half of the season have just reiterated that we need to improve the squad and hopefully Benitez has realised that he cannot rely upon the current fringe players to effectively fill in for the first team in high profile matches like he could at Valencia.

Realistically the coffers may not stretch too far given our inability to find suitable investment in the club. Whether you think this is because the board are being too proud or Morgan has hidden agendas, the simple fact is that we do need to do something to keep up with the Chelsea’s of this world, particularly as EVEN Everton now seem set for a cash injection prior to the January Transfer window.

The squad is thin which is particularly evident when we have a number of injuries, but we also have a number of moderate players who simply aren’t good enough. It depends how astute Rafa is when acquiring quality players on the cheap, hopefully he is the Spanish version of Harry Redknapp and contemplates using players such as Diao, Luzi, Otsemobor, Partridge, Diouf and Cheyrou as makeweights in any potential deals to help reduce the financial layout.

Whether the small but significant signs that we are improving under Benitez become greater strides towards the end of the season remains to be seen but it certainly seems like Liverpool are slowly awakening and we look set for an intriguing 2005.

A Happy New Year to you all! :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby whelston23 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:31 pm

a gd post overall.. but i dun agree with the part , the club is thin in terms of players... i think we are just 2 players short... dun think we are thin in size
whelston23

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:01 pm

2 players?

What if those 2 players get injured?

We're back to square one. Try 4 at least.

Two of which have to be top class.
115-1073096938

Postby fivecups » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:33 pm

stmichael wrote:Despite all the positives that have materialised under Benitez, there are also a few concerns that continue to bother me. His insistence on freshening up the team when a full strength side is required following impressive victories often backfires and results in us taking two steps forward, one step back. The defeat at Goodison has stuck in every Reds fans throat, not because the fair result would have been a draw in a drab affair, but because Rafa seemed to misunderstand the importance of the derby and fielded a weakened side against Everton who were nine points ahead of us in the league and about to play their “Cup Final”. Dropping Alonso in favour of the ineffective Diao was a bizarre error of judgment as was the decision to replace the improving Steve Finnan in favour of the out of sorts Josemi who had never experienced the unique occasion of a Merseyside derby before.

Excellent post.

I agree, albeit with the massive benefit of hindsight that we should have started the Derby with Xabi Alonso and Finnan. But I think we should put Rafa's tactical decisions in that match into perspective.

Rafa did not intentionally field a weakened side for the match. Neither Diao or Josemi were involved in the HUGE match 2 1/2 days before against Olympiakos. Alonso and Finnan were still recovering from that and therefore Rafa elected to play the more rested players. He played what he felt would be the strongest team on the day. You could also argue that the physical presence of Diao would be a better match for Gravesen and Carsley, again I dont think he could ever compare to Alonso even if the Spaniard was wrecked - but you can season the rationale for the decision.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:12 pm

Fivecups you make an excellent point on why Benitez choose to play Diao and Josemi instead of Alonso and Finnan. Like you said both Alonso and Finnan played very well against Olympiakos and Benitez stated on LFC.tv that the reason he did not play them because they were tired so he used "fresh" legs which were Josemi and Diao.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:20 pm

Now lets be honest, no one expects us to win anything this season under Rafa, so there fore what he MUSt do is take a really good look and assess every player at the club before he makes any big decisions on who go's and who comes in.

although losing the derby stung for a few days, in the bigger picture it lets the boss fully apraise the whole squad.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:24 pm

dont always believe what you hear managers say.
i think benitez was getting fed horror stories about the physicality of derby matches by people around him. i think his plan was to put out a physically big and strong side and maybe bring the flair players on later. we were slightly on top before they scored so i think he was in the "if its not broke dont fix it" mindset. when they scored that went out the window.
he missed a trick there though because the way ref`s are nowadaze you cant go throwing yourself in everywhere like the 60`s and 70`s.
i think the bolton and blackburn away games put a seed of doubt in rafa`s mind about the ability of some of our flair players to go into the trenches.
i disagree with him slightly, i`d play 442 with a centre mid pairing of alonso and gerrard and let the opposition worry about us.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:14 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:i disagree with him slightly, i`d play 442 with a centre mid pairing of alonso and gerrard and let the opposition worry about us.

its a nice idea but we'd never get away with having that many players on the pitch

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:30 am

hmmm.......maybe your right but dont forget we`ve got a fan in the f.a hierachy now, the fella from itv sport.
maybe he could pull a few strings

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:56 am

I don't expect anything this year to be honest, the only thing I expect is for us to finish 4th otherwise I'll be a bit disapointed, the main achivement this season is Rafa has got the lads playing some attractive attcking football which is a joy to watch :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:06 am

i think that considering the way things stand this season 4th spot has to be the main target, although i'd like to see us pushing for third. i reckon we should go all out for the league cup aswell - ok, its not a great honour anymore, but some silverware of any kind would be a nice touch for rafas first season.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alanay » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:01 am

We are not that far away from the third place. We must beat all top four in the second half of the season. Therefore, 2 more experience attackers (1 must be a proven striker) and a good left defender will strengthen the squad. Riise can be push into the midfield position. He can score goals and a lot of pace.
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:19 am

Alanay wrote:We are not that far away from the third place. We must beat all top four in the second half of the season.

exactly.... we have our work cut out for us.  3rd place is a bit too optimisitc.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:04 am

nice post st mike
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion