Saturday the day to spot new players - Cup tied players not on wish list

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:39 pm

I think it was pretty much common knowledge that last nights game, if it had gone ahead would have seen a "Carling Cup Style" Liverpool team featuring a lot of youngsters. Now I do think that Rafa will have used the League Cup games to get a good look at the youngsters at his disposal. However I do not think he will have been treating the FA Cup game with as much contempt.

I genuinely think that Rafa was going to rest the first teamers last night more than play the youngsters. However the reason we would have seen so many inexperienced lads is that our squad is really inadequate. Whereas Chelsea now boast two really good players in every position, we have maybe one or two positions where this is the case. With such a demanding schedule (even more so now the game is to be rearranged) it is important, in fact no it is essential all players are kept fresh and the squad rotated.

Rafa will I am sure want to play his whole squad throughout the season, but I'm equally as sure that he would rather have a blend of both experienced and younger players in each and every match. As opposed to playing full strength for games in Europe and "the kids" in the Carling Cup. In order to ensure this happens, signing (very much like Pellegrino who will do Zak Whitbread the world of good should they play together) more players, both experienced and young is essential.

The big problem we have had this season is, with one of only two "main strikers" out for the season, our top striker, Milan, has to either play up front alone, or work alongside (and to a certain extent educate) Mellor or Pongolle, who are both largely inexperienced.

If we do (and I pray every night we do) sign Fernando Morientes, with Milan being currently injured, we still only have young but established forward, and God forbid he should get injured we are again back to the kids. Therefore we also need a forward who is eligible for CL, which rules out most experienced foreign players, as they have probably already featured in the Champions League this season.

I think that leaves him with the option of the English based players, such as Anelka and according to some reports Yakubu of Portsmouth.

That is why, and I know its taken me some time to get to the point, I think watching the games this weekend in the FA Cup will be a really good indicator as to the possible transfer targets for us during this window. Obviously if either of the aforementioned strikers play today I think we can rule them out of the reckoning due to being cup tied in the FA Cup. This would create an unbeleiveable headache for Rafa if we had forwards trying to form a partnership who where inelligble for various compatitions.

These reasons for me will be the biggest indicator as to who is really up for sale and who we might be interested in this January.

The news of Anelka's refusal to take a fitness test, and reports today that his "injury" rule him out for the FA Cup speaks volumes for me.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:09 pm

Nice......never thought of it that way.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:52 pm

FA Cup Team News:

Man City, Fowler and Anelka both do not play today.

Portsmouth, Yakubu Ayagbeni plays, Amdy Faye not in the squad.

Southampton, nothing of note RE strikers or possible signings.

Man Utd, not likely.

Chelski, no likely targets here for me.

Norwich, Huckerby plays (THANK GOD).

Preston v West Brom, Robert Earnshaw plays up front with Horsefield, (never mind big Mick) but no Kanu.

Birmingham v Leeds, Scott Carson plays in goal, Robbie Savage not in the squad.

Sunderland v Palace, Andrew Johnson plays.

Charlton v Rochdale, Jeffers plays, Murphy on the bench.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:59 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Chelski, no likely targets here for me.

I've heard rumors flying around that we may make a move for Cudicini, which would be a great move imo.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:02 pm

Done in another thread, and yes, I would take him over both of our current keepers. He is class.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:24 pm

Leon well said. I think Anelka and Morientes will sign for us, well at least I hope we do
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby andy_g » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:44 pm

i don't think we can read too much into anelka not playing - he's injured. and i don't really go along with the theory about a player being left out of the team meaning he may be leaving. morientes played the other night, for example, and it's starting to look pretty done and dusted with him coming now...

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:46 pm

andy_g wrote:i don't think we can read too much into anelka not playing - he's injured. and i don't really go along with the theory about a player being left out of the team meaning he may be leaving. morientes played the other night, for example, and it's starting to look pretty done and dusted with him coming now...

uj
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:47 pm

uj? whats that mean, leon?

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:48 pm

I'm guessing that he disagrees with your post, the Anelka part.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:50 pm

Sorry, I was going to post a reply, then a pop up on sky sports funked it up and I ended up posting uj.

I was going to say that I think you are wrong about the Anelka not playing part. I understand it is quite important to the deal that he is not cup tied.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:51 pm

I was going to say that I think you are wrong about the Anelka not playing part. I understand it is quite important to the deal that he is not cup tied

So I was right.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:54 pm

A.B. wrote:
I was going to say that I think you are wrong about the Anelka not playing part. I understand it is quite important to the deal that he is not cup tied

So I was right.

Yes well done, you have won a prize.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:55 pm

i take your point completely, leon. but on this occaission the fact that he has a back injury kinda muddles the theory. maybe keegan would've played him if he was fit as we're not the only team looking at him.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:55 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
A.B. wrote:

So I was right.

Yes well done, you have won a prize.

I want to thank you all for giving me such a prize, I feel honoured.............................
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion